Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Other Model - Cracked

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • RSM Not Cracked

Votes: 36 90.0%

• Total voters

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I guess I should have said ... Red Sea stood behind their warrantee regarding Dario's tank (everything is covered 100% for the 1st year), but by far, there is a huge number of post through out the RSM Club extolling Red Sea's Excellent customer support.

Very sorry to hear your tank broke & it's out of warrantee, it is pretty rare compared to the thousands sold, but if it happened to me, I am sure I would feel the same way & would wish Red Sea would cover it for many years.

On a sidebar, I don't think cracked tanks are just common to RSM tanks, I was in our lfs a while back looking at corals & live stock, all of a sudden a 40 gallon breeder tank cracks right before my eyes, I holler at a store employee that their tanks leaking water all over the place, he meanders over & starts removing livestock & tells me it's not uncommon & happen from time to time at the store (they have maybe 200 of them). I was like wow... so I don't think cracking tanks are just related to RSM tanks, it's more like heaters that stick on & cook tanks - you can Google & find most brands have done it & when it happens, people hate that brand & I can see why.

Just my 2 cents... and again very sorry to hear !

I might add... being Red Sea has decided to go away from the beautiful curved glass corners in the new C series - this could be related, but the cracks are 1 in 1000 or more... just for some prospective, of all the post I have read in the RSM Club and that's every post ever posted in the club.

Oxylebius

Agree, cracked tanks aren't limited to Red Sea, it does happen all the time. Need to make sure your tank is level (ground and stand), no extra strain on it.

Tokalosh

I might add... being Red Sea has decided to go away from the beautiful curved glass corners in the new C series - this could be related, but the cracks are 1 in 1000

Well whether it be 1 in 1000 or 1 in 1,000,000, the point is that no tank manufacturer ever takes into account the loss and anguish suffered by reefers when their tanks do crack. My personal opinion is that the reason RSM has gone to straight edges from curved is clearly a sign that there was a manufacturing fault which will never be disclosed of course. I am really disappointed with their attitude towards this particular issue, given the tank is only just over a year old.

Tok

LakeLivin

I'm not familiar with the 250 design or if that may have contributed to the failures or not. But I do know that glass tanks of all models and sizes can and do break. Most I suspect are due to shipping issues that are discovered right away and some can be damaged just under the framing and not be discovered until the pressure of putting water into the tank spreads the crack. These tanks are extremely heavy and very unforgiving if not handled gently during shipment. I suspect the number of fork lifter drivers a tank meets during it's long journey really do not take care to raise and lower them slowly/gently. They are more concerned with moving the cargo as quickly as possible.

I think if there was some sort of design problem or inferior manufacturing a tank would fail soon after being fully stocked. I would be curious to know what kind of flooring everyones tank was on when it failed. If a tank is setting on a second floor of a house or on the first floor of a house that has a crawl space it is going to be prone to move ever so slightly over time no matter how well your floor is reinforced. Houses breath and move during settling and at different times of the year depending on climate changes. Those subtle differences to something like a tank that is so unforgiving and does not bend at all can cause them to fail after time.

It's always been my nightmare each time I have owned a tank that I would wake up one morning and find my house flooded and dead livestock everywhere. Thankfully, my current tank sits on a concrete slab foundation with tile on top of that so I sleep a little easier, but one never knows.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Just wanted to share some insight Red Sea e-mailed me from a question I asked related to this thread...

While bending the glass does weaken it, Red Sea uses thicker glass and of a higher quality than most aquarium manufacturers, and water-tests 100% of their aquariums in the factory before emptying, cleaning and drying each one prior to shipping it out; a QC procedure which is not generally seen elsewhere.
Red Sea has moved away from the rounded corners on the Max-C due to changing trends, although it does give the added benefit of the C-Series being inherently more robust due to the straight edge finishing. Rounded corners were fashionable several years ago but our research prior to launching the C-Series showed that most people now prefer the clean look of a well finished aquarium using black silicone

funkoid

I've still not filled my RSM 250
I'm genuinely scared to now and think I may have made a mistake. I know tanks crack but it's all I've seem to have heard, mines two years old but new to me :(

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I guess you could sell it & buy a brand that has less failures, if you figure out what brand that is, let us know ;)

I still think the failure rate is very small & similar to all tanks... it's just that the RSM Club provides large sampling - imo

If you want to sell it, start a new for sale post here on RS & I will post it in my Deals RSM Owners might like... thread here in the club & see if we can help :)

Wolffman64

I had my 250 for over 2 years after buying it second hand and transporting it in my car back home, without any problems. After that I sold it to a member here on RS, and he transported it home at the back of a flat bed truck. He has now had it up and running for another 6 months.

Remembering some stuff from my old engineering days, bending glass like that will create tensions in the material, but judging by how seldom they crack, it is a very small risk. I do really feel for you that had to go through it though, and I think that this obvious problem should be covered more than 1 year...

Tok, I think you were incredible brave for going with the third tank, cudos for your perseverance, you now have a fantastic tank!!

funkoid

Out of interest, those who have and haven't had them crack, how many of you were using egg crate or some other form of rock support underneath your live rock?

Joeys Tank

I do not have a solid voice of wisdom on this topic since I am one month into reefing. While I was very disappointed with the shipping company who delivered my tank, I am thankful there wasn't any damage. I didn't use any rock support in my tank, all resting on sand.

One thing I do want to pass along that I am doing. I have listed my tank with my home owner's insurance. That way if the $10K+ system crashes, I will file a claim.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
just my opinion... but most members are not using egg crate or anything under the sand and this would not be related ...

from the threads... I have read...

funkoid

I'll be honest and say I'm bricking it now, just spoken to someone else that had the same thing happen in exactly the same place top to bottom. Seems like such a gamble to me now, there are so many people out there who haven't mentioned the problems either :(

Edit - Has anyone ever compared tank serial numbers? Suppose these isn't much point though given that some people are having problems after 6 months and others a few years.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I'll be honest and say I'm bricking it now

If you want to sell it, start a new for sale post here on RS & I will post it in my Deals RSM Owners might like... thread here in the club & see if we can help...

I agree... I think you have made up your mind now... :tumble: