Courtney's Red Sea Reefer 350

Courtney

Thanks Glenn!
Yeah couldn't take it if I was to come down in the morning and find a fish on the floor. Like I said once the tank clears properly I will get some better pictures up

Courtney

Just set up the ATO and I think I have a steady drip every second but just have to watch that and see how we go.

Also I still haven't turned on my skimmer yet as didn't want to pull out the bacteria from the Fritz-Zyme TurboStart 900 wondering if I should yet. Do any of you guys who have used the ATM Colony know how long it was before you turned on your skimmers?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I would start it up... it will take several days to a week or so to properly break in, don't think it will hurt a thing... different throughs on this... see what others suggest, you could always dump what it skims back in the tank, but I never worried about that, always got my skimmer going :nessie: but no wrong way here to proceed IMO

SPR

Just set up the ATO and I think I have a steady drip every second but just have to watch that and see how we go.

Also I still haven't turned on my skimmer yet as didn't want to pull out the bacteria from the Fritz-Zyme TurboStart 900 wondering if I should yet. Do any of you guys who have used the ATM Colony know how long it was before you turned on your skimmers?
To be honest I can’t remember turnng the skimmer off when I used ATM Colony, and with the Fritz if it doesn’t say turn it off on the instructions i’d just leave it on. Basically just follow whatever the instructions tell you to do.

Courtney

Ok I'll get it up and running today and see how we go. As my levels are good in the tank so I assume the TurboStart has done its job and the water has cleared now and it wasn't if I was cycling a new tank anyway.

Courtney

Well set skimmer up and it has already started pulling stuff out the water so think it is setup ok but will fine tune it after a couple of days. It is recommended to sit 21cm under the water but seeing as the water in the Reefer 350 sump has to sit at 24cm high to get over the glass to the next chamber it is sitting a little low so might have to raise it up but will see how we go.

Also from the picture below you might notice a lot of micro bubbles escaping to the surface of the water from the skimmer. Is this normal or is this because it has to break in or maybe it sitting in to much water any info on that would be great.

18168fa321226e285586dc6929839b7d.jpg

Also another couple of additions to the tank in the form of a Kenya Tree Coral and a pair of Firefish [emoji4]

34edb0bb5851f941e97aa3a335e29812.jpg

5fc0536076a8c2f52f8b1dec97032078.jpg

SPR

Hi Courtney

If you need to raise it up a few centimetres just get something to sit it on. I’ve got a plastic/rubber pad that came with the S 650 from the original skimmer that just lifts it up a cm or so.

It does have a run in period but on the photo your bubble level is very high and I think any time soon it may start overskimming big time.

You want the top of the bubble column to be around the level we’re the cup joins the base. The higher it is above there, the wetter the Skim, like it is now very wet. The lower down, the dryer the Skim.

Turn the long controller tube so it’s fully open and if it’s still overskimming tighten down the screw at the top of the smaller tube and that will help it settle down. Then ‘slowly’ open up the screw until the skimmer is not overskimming and then over a period you want the screw completely open. Then use a combination of the screw and ‘closing’ the controller tube until the bubble level is near the bottom of the collection cup.

The screw in the picture looks like it’s not fully open and that might be the cause of the micro bubbles.

The run in period can be a few weeks before it totally settles, so you just make small adjustments, but as you can see it works straight out of the box.

Hopefully this will help you out ?

PS. Get some food grade silicone grease to put around the cup joint as it will keep it easy to remove for you.

Courtney

Yeah I will make the adjustments you mentioned as this is the first time I have ever owned a skimmer like this so it's new to me but thanks for the info SPR.

And will get some grease any good brand of it or where to get it from?

Reactions: SPR

Nobbygas

Yep, I agree with Shaun. It looks like you have your Air Screw fully in the 'in' position. This would be the cause of the micro bubbles. Open that a little and you'll see the bubbles stop.
To be honest, I don't usually mess around with the two screws on the top, I just twist the main tube a little to raise/lower the bubble level in the skimmer.

Courtney

I have adjusted it until the bubbles are at the point where the collection cup joins the body and the air a valve screw is open. The micro bubbles have gone now.

There isn't many bubbles in the collection cup tube and I assume this is because there isn't anything in the water for it to pull out but looks a lot better.

2fad9c63c2ddc1051a43dc78b956c39b.jpg

Courtney

As I'm waiting for my baffle kit to turn up for the refugium in the sump I'm wondering what light is best to use to get the best growth out of the algae?

Also what is the best way to mount the light over the sump? Preferably without putting screws in the stand want to keep it in good condition for now at least hahaha

SPR

I have adjusted it until the bubbles are at the point where the collection cup joins the body and the air a valve screw is open. The micro bubbles have gone now.

There isn't many bubbles in the collection cup tube and I assume this is because there isn't anything in the water for it to pull out but looks a lot better.

2fad9c63c2ddc1051a43dc78b956c39b.jpg
There is nothing wrong with the bubble level there, but it’s still a bit high unless your very wet skimming, it’s personal choice, but ideally it wants to be lower to were your drain tube is wrapped around in the picture. But it’s your skimmer so you set it how you like it and just have a play around until you get the results you want.

Just remember if there is nothing in the water it won’t pull anything out and the best time to set the level is around 2 hours after feeding. You will get the feel for it after a few weeks, but just make minor settings adjustments and then leave it. And be prepared for it to ‘freak out’ overskimming in the first few weeks for no apparent reason!

You can get the food grade silicone grease of eBay, just search and there is loads.

On your lights if you don’t want to use screws, try heavy duty Velcro. I discovered the joys of this a month or so ago with my LED strip sump lights. Marvellous stuff!

Last edited:

Courtney

I set the bubbles around the neck height like you said the first time and went away to grab something and they had risen when I can back haha. Think it will be some trial and error but will give it a try setting it 2 hours after feeding.

Also what is the benefits of wet and dry skimming? Or is it just a preference as I have read a lot and people always bring it up.

Will have a look for grease and heavy duty Velcro later but that sounds so much better than screws in my nice new stand hahaha thanks again for the info and help

SPR

I set the bubbles around the neck height like you said the first time and went away to grab something and they had risen when I can back haha. Think it will be some trial and error but will give it a try setting it 2 hours after feeding.

Also what is the benefits of wet and dry skimming? Or is it just a preference as I have read a lot and people always bring it up.

Will have a look for grease and heavy duty Velcro later but that sounds so much better than screws in my nice new stand hahaha thanks again for the info and help
I believe wet skimming is more effective as it removes more nutrients and whenever I have been in contact with Red Sea Technical Support (Kevin) on NoPox, they have always said use wet skimming.

When the nutrient levels are about right, the skimmate is a ‘light tea’ colour, otherwise it can be a variations of greens etc. When my Nitrates are above about 4-6 the Skim tends to be greenish.

I can’t see any benefit to dry skimming other than maybe when your away from the tank for a while so it doesn’t fill the container as much. I can’t see any other benefit myself, but I stand to be corrected if anyone has a different view.

On the NYOS just set it after feeding and leave it alone for a few days (unless it freaks out) as they take a bit to run in as you’ve found. And just slight adjustments to the main long tube.

Courtney

Ah ok I see I think in my RSM 250 when the skimmer used to work I think I had it skimming wet most of the time as that skimmer was a pain to setup.

I don't really have anything in the tank to pull out yet as the tank is all fresh at the moment but I'll have a play with it after feeding and yeah I talked to Kevin a long time ago when I got Red Seas complete Reef care products.

Courtney

Noticed that I'm starting to get what looks like red slime algae on my sand bed. Not sure if this is due to the length of time my lights are on or that there is excess phosphate and nitrate in my tank but I will add some rowphos and purigen to remove excess nutrients from the tank and see if that helps

SPR

Noticed that I'm starting to get what looks like red slime algae on my sand bed. Not sure if this is due to the length of time my lights are on or that there is excess phosphate and nitrate in my tank but I will add some rowphos and purigen to remove excess nutrients from the tank and see if that helps
I would test your Nitrate and phosphate levels to see were you are and then you can decide what to do if anything. Red slime sounds like maybe cyno bacteria starting and it grows very quick.

I would also check out Red Sea NoPox as part of your nutrient control if you haven’t already. Purigen doesn’t remove to any great extent Nitrate, it just removes the compounds that turn into nitrates thereby helping keep Nitrate levels under control. I’ve got some in ‘The Bag’ in my sump as well.

How long and what colours have you got your lights on ?

Courtney

My phosphate is at 0.25ppm and nitrate is between 5.0-10.0ppm.

For my lights someone sent me a profile which I was using with a 20% acclimation setting on it.

No I know you guys will say ist really long which is what I thought but I gave it a go and seems ok so far but the whole light cycle is from 7am until 11pm
which is 17 hours but the it is a really slow ramp up of the colours and leds. The main photo period is 1pm-5pm with all of the leds and them being brighter then the start to drop off until 11pm where the off completely.

Below is the graph in the ai app so you can see properly what I mean with the times and colours.

4c3c16249ae5454bebf9f34b6ad09224.jpg