Corals in the RSM - pictures and comments on successes, failures, new additions, etc.

Mavjoy

Re: Corals in the RSM - pictures and comments on successes, failures, new additions,

RM- just make sure the die off does not affect your water parameters and such...YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Re: Corals in the RSM - pictures and comments on successes, failures, new additions,

Thanks all for the encouraging words. Bad stuff happens quick! The water parameters all seemed AOK in testing last night. Ca 430, Alk 10.2, and no ammonia, no nitrites, and only 5 nitrates - typical test results for me. My Mg was high, but my test kit is over a year old and may be no good anymore - past the expiration date by a few months. I've got a water change scheduled tonight, so maybe that will prevent losing anything else, and help restore a few ailing corals.

Rue - see above from GDESQUIRE - I think he was surprised to see you back! :)

Rue

I hope the water change helps heaps!

GDESQUIRE!!! :hallo: :D

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Well, I got home, hooked up the bucket of SW I made Monday, heated & aerated, and changed about 5 gallons. Time will tell. Nothing looked worse when I got home today - in fact most of those I was worried about looked better. My big green Pocillopora had some polyps out again, but that one is still "iffy". Hopefully in a few days it will improve further.

Rue

I hope it helps too!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Well, I suppose I should post an update on my tank crash after pulling off most of that colony of palys that were killing my branching digitata. That new tan Stylophora was wiped out, but the new green/pink Pocillopora combo right below it did just fine. A pic from yesterday - the Killer Palys - what's left of them, is to the left of the Pocillopora:

NewPocci1_3_09.jpg

In fact, in the above pic you can see some of the white Aiptasia-X that I "fed" to some of the remaining palys to the left of the Pocilloporas. Looks like that's a safer option than pulling them off and having them spit out the toxins. I have a couple of those palys growing on the base of another digitata - in the upper right hand corner. I haven't yet figured out what to do about those.

While all of the corals looked a bit upset for a few days, most are back to normal now. On the opposite side of the tank my nice green Pocillopora took a bad hit from the paly toxins:

This is what it looked like before:

Poci11_22_08-1.jpg

And after pulling off the palys - this is after a few days and looks better in this picture than it did for a day or two:

SickPocci1_3_09.jpg

I'm not sure why the older Pocillopora fared worse than the new one, unless the current carried the toxins to that part of the tank. It looks a bit better every day, with more green polyps out every day, so I'm hoping it will recover fully eventually. I have a large purple Stylophora behind this green Pocillopora, and it's in bad shape too, but appears to be recovering.

Everything else looks fine now.

Rue

Oh dear! Well, I hope they recover...I know they can...but it's still sad to see them like that.

My Duncan (my favourite) is 'half-dead' I can't tell if it's holding steady or getting worse, but it's still not improving at all...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

I hope the Duncan recovers. Once they are healthy they can multiply pretty quickly.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Here's a few updates. The status of the recovery of the green Pocillopora since being devastated by Paly toxins on Dec. 28. It's looking a bit better every day. Compare these two pics about a week apart.

Jan 3:

SickPocci1_3_09.jpg

Today - Jan 11:

PocciSm1_11_09.jpg

I got this Hyacinth Seriatopora last week. It arrived with all of the water leaked out of the bag, and the bottom of the box soaked. It was a bit cool too. It was the most difficult coral I've mounted - I just couldn't get the epoxy/SG gel to stick and had to retry a few times, In addition I brutalized the thing and broke of a few branches & tips - very fragile. But, in spite of arriving only moist, and being aggravated and broken during mounting, it looks like it's doing very well.

SeriatoporaSm1_11_09.jpg

And I picked up a finger leather with green polyps yesterday. I replaced a big, ugly, ailing pink stylophora (that had browned out since I got it) that was mostly done in by palytoxins and was getting worse. That also increased flow in the back right of the tank as the stylophora was big enough to be blocking flow from my Vortech.

FingerSm1_11_09.jpg

I debated over getting a leather, since I do have some SPS in the tank, and they don't always do well together, but I'll take a chance.

Mavjoy

RM- what a recovery on the Pocillopora! Great job and keep it up. Nice leather and birds nest.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Yep - I was definitely concerned about that green Pocci, but so far it looks like a full recovery with more time.

Rue

The recovery is quite dramatic!

I'm glad it's on the way back to good health!

mrfishy

put this montipora purple haze in last week
sorry about milliput but i'm hoping the coral will cover it soon

IMG_5532_1.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Nice Monti & nice color!

MrsPeer

Here is a picture of my RBTA two months ago; it has been in my tank for the last 6 months and has doubled in size!

Clowns2.jpg

dmyers557

Very nice color on that BTA

dmyers557

Picture of my Dendro and Maxima Clam. Both are doing very well.

P2160215.jpg

P2160245.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

MrsPeer - great to see you again!

dmeyers557 - very nice!