Corals in the RSM - pictures and comments on successes, failures, new additions, etc.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Re: Corals in the RSM - pictures and comments on successes, failures, new additions,

Lots of these old threads of interest that get buried and forgotten. For some fun I was going through the whole RSM FTS thread today - so many nice tanks, and so many folks that we no longer hear from.

Re: Corals in the RSM - pictures and comments on successes, failures, new additions,

Just seen this thread not had a chance to read it yet but just thought I’d add a couple of learning experiences.

1. I’ve got various types of hammer in my tank and they look good. Just before Christmas I added two, two headed hammer branches, sadly one of the heads got that brown algae disease a week after adding it. I followed a couple of really good threads on the forum, on how to care and treat it. Not sure if I was lucky but I successfully removed the algae from the infected head, sadly I lost that head but it hasn’t spread and six weeks later it hasn’t come back and the other heads are fine and looking good. Possibly the coral was stressed when I added it but I was lucky enough to save the other head and stop the algae from spreading through the rest of my tank, so a successful learning experience.

2. Coral’s need space. Sadly I lost a head of a white torch last month I think it was because I mounted it too close to a hammer coral, both corals spent a lot of time stinging each other and eventually the hammer won, I wanted to reposition them but both corals were firmly positioned with milliput putty and repositioning them would have been a nightmare. On a good note the other two heads of the white torch are doing really well and the hammer is also looking good. I was told that they would be OK next to each other, which they are but they obviously need 2 or 3 inches space between each other. So again another lesson learned.

3. Shouldn’t impulse buy. I brought some yellow polyp coral from a large pet store were the staff really didn’t know to much about what they were selling and I didn’t research what I was buying, it was in all fairness and impulse purchase. What I didn’t realise was the polyp coral needed target feeding and consequently it died. It was a shame because it was a nice looking coral. Another important lesson learned, don’t impulse buy research what you want or at least buy from a knowledgeable aquatics store.

I’m sure I’ve got lots more to learn, but I love the hobby and find it tremendously satisfying stareing at my tank, especially when it’s all going well and everything looks healthy.

I love photography and taking photos, that doesn’t mean I’m any good but as soon as I get a chance I’ll post up some photo’s of my corals. I’ve also got some great photos of corals that I’ve taken in the wild and would love to share so I’ll post up some of them to.

Steve

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Very good information Steve! I've had the coral warfare also, and lost a few corals because of it. It has been tough for me to avoid coral warfare as they grow into each other. Pictures would be great to see!