coraline OR???

Sgood

Started getting a new brite green algae growth in my tank. It is on my rock and shells, I have heard that coraline algae can be green as well and am wandering if this is what i have?

It is all a hard algae (won't just pull or scrape of easily) no hair or stringy parts to it.

Then I have this red algae starting on another shell...

BLADEYAMAHA

That on the last pic looks like coraline algae but in the others it looks like green algae from maybe too much light.

Sgood

Like I said the algae will not pull off or blow or scrape off easily. No way it is cyano, and I only run my lights about 5-6 hours a day and are really weak 1 white and 1 blue t5 lights at the moment. Like I said I know there is a neon green coralline from what I have found online. And this stuf is neon Brite green. And I already have a lot of red and purple coralline started on bought LR, this is new growth on base rock that has been in the tank for about 2 weeks.

Last edited:

BLADEYAMAHA

Well then, the last pic, would of coralline algae. But the others it will be the run of the mill green algae that forms when the tank is first running.

Sgood

Funny how everyone has opinions!!! A mod over on 3reef just posted to the same post i put over there and says it looks just like the neon green coralline that he gets right before the purple and red take over. The red on the one shell was actually the neon green a week ago. Guess I should have said that in the post but, thanks for the opinion. Guess I will toss a coin on who is right!!!!

Your tank looks new. My tank looked exactly like that before
632df5e3-8153-9ee8.jpg

It did not turn to purple algae but it did go away around month 6. I like to attribute it to high phosphates

Does the algae in the last picture feel slimey?

PIMPALA

Sounds like the only answer you want to hear is "yes, coraline algae".

Doesnt really mater what type of algae it is honestly. The only thing you can do is wait, and watch it grow. Algae is algae. Its all bad.

Sgood

Nope could care less what it is but just funny how everyone has different opinions about the same thing. But, I woke up this morning and the green is turning red/purple or loosing out to it anyway.

But to above poster NO, none of it feels slimy or slick..

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
Algae always feels wet to me every time I stick my hands in the tank... :dunno:

:p

....Secret Super Hero....

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
water parameters? that would help ID it

Yes parameters would help because in the presence of nutrients coralline just can't compete with unwanted algae/Cyanobacteria.
How old is the tank and what are your nitrate/phosphate/calcium/alkalinity/magnesium levels . Coralline algae will only begin to grow spread with a mature well balanced tank, in a new setup that seldom is the case.

Sgood

:(
Algae always feels wet to me every time I stick my hands in the tank... :dunno:

:p

:dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno: big difference between wet and slimy and no one asked about wet. So, please if you have nothing informative to ad, move along!!

Sgood

Yes parameters would help because in the presence of nutrients coralline just can't compete with unwanted algae/Cyanobacteria.
How old is the tank and what are your nitrate/phosphate/calcium/alkalinity/magnesium levels . Coralline algae will only begin to grow spread with a mature well balanced tank, in a new setup that seldom is the case.

All I test for is ammonia 0, nitrites 0, and nitrates about 2-5 but been 2 1/2 weeks since last water change. The tank has been set up at my house for a little over 2 months but, bought from a guy that had it running for 3. I put fish in the tank almost immediately before reading about cycles but my ammonia never raised, that I could tell. As far as I could tell there was never a cycle or mini cycle from moving the tank.

It had about 130 lbs. of LR And I added about another 75lbs about 3 weeks ago and that is what I am getting the growth on.

Sgood

Oh and I have 2 clowns, 3 chromis, 1 diamond goby, and a melunaras wrasse... 50 nassarius snails and 50 perriwinkles

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
If it helps... here a pic of some coralline green & purple algae

coralline_500.jpg

The colors of these algae are most typically pink, or some other shade of red, but other species can be purple, yellow, blue, white, gray or green.

If I were to guess... and it's just an guess... I am guessing in your pretty new tank, it's not coralline algae, just normal new tank progression and will go away with in a couple months with good husbandry - hope this helps.

Sgood

No need in being a jerk to someone you don't even know man. He was just kidding.

I was too, I guess that makes it okay!! But that's exactly what I thought, I don't know him or her and they don't know me.... As far as I knew he or she is a smarta$$!!!

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
Sgood said:
I was too, I guess that makes it okay!! But that's exactly what I thought, I don't know him or her and they don't know me.... As far as I knew he or she is a smarta$$!!!

I am a smartass, and it was a joke (obviously sarcastic along with the :p as well) but point taken. No more input from me on your threads.

Moving on...