Coral Id

Emperor559

Not that I'll be getting it due to my recent disaster but since I was posting I figured I'd ask. I saw a coral at lfs and it looked like a brain but it was shaped like a pectinia almost. The store owner said it was a butterprint brain but I haven't been able to find any info on these guys except for in one book and it didn't really have any good pictures to id with.

tippMANn98

Has been struck by the ban stick
does it look like this? without the Xmas tree worms

Creature-Xmas-Tree-Worm-02.JPG

if so...thats what I know as a "old fashioned BRAIN CORAL"

Frankie

RS STAFF
Thats a pretty cool picture Daniel! My goodness! There really is a common name like that!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
try this link and see what you can figure out. It's funny but when I searched it came back with lots of cool pics.

Google Image Search

Daniel I LOVE that first pic. I want some of the Christmas Tree Worms :)

tippMANn98

Has been struck by the ban stick
i know a guy that gets that porites (spelling) rock with the Xmas trees...$29.99...thats how we used to get them in S. Florida at the store I managed.

Emperor559

I know it's almost impossible to id without a picture so I'll try to get one if they still have it. Thanks for trying though.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I have one in my tank also. Cool coral. I found it does best in low light. In my tank at least.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I did. My computer crashed and i have lost everything. I think. I did look up that coral and found it is a high light coral so i cannot recommend keeping in in the shade like i do. It just does well there for me. The shade in my tank it pretty well lit up though compared to a lot of tanks. This could very well be why it is doing well. Mine is bigger then your though ;)