Coral ID please

rubyfrogs

Hello, I picked this up at m LFS after asking many many q's about my lighting and they told me this would do well with my nano reef setup as it is a hardy coral. Problem is, I don't know what it is called and with all of the questions I forgot to ask and they are now closed until Wednesday. I would really like to identify this so that I can make sure it is in a proper place in my tank. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• mysterycoral1.jpg
    mysterycoral1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 90
  • mysterycoral2correctsize.jpg
    mysterycoral2correctsize.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 90

tnwillia

Also looks like you've got 2 or 3 Aiptasia Anemones on it too. I might be wrong on them. Good luck!

rubyfrogs

Can I just pull the Aipstesia anems out or do I need to treat with a chemical? ive researched the removal and there seems to be a wide array of opinions out there about the removal. Thanks so much for helping me to ID. So I can just look up Zoa and the info will apply to me?

cbrownfish

Actually, those are Palythoa (Palys) commonly called button polyps. Similar to Zoanthids but this species can tolerate lower light conditions. I would definitely address the Aiptasia as suggested. Inject with Joe's Juice, Kalk paste, Lemon juice, etc.

rubyfrogs

Thank you so much! One more question: When I was taking it out of the bag during acclimation a small piece with 2 small polyps broke away from the main piece. Can I place this elsewhere in my tank and populate a new area with the small piece that came off?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've seen them called lots of things (Frog Button Polyps, Nuclear Green Button Polyps, Mean Green Palys, Hulk Palys etc) but as cbrownfish stated they are button polyps and can take a wide range of light.

as for the broken piece just glue it on another rock and watch em grow :)

fishhead

Thank you so much! One more question: When I was taking it out of the bag during acclimation a small piece with 2 small polyps broke away from the main piece. Can I place this elsewhere in my tank and populate a new area with the small piece that came off?

Unbelievable. I was several years into the hobby before I made my first frag. You are way ahead of my learning curve. You are so lucky to get to try your hand at coral propagation right off the bat like that. I agree though, the glass rose anemones or Aptaisia sp should be removed...soon. Don't just cut their heades off, they regrow and make more where their heads roll. They can spread fast. They are...not cool. Must kill them:guns:

Last edited:

rubyfrogs

Thanks to everyone for helping me figure out what I have! I am going to get some of the Aptasia X stuff tomorrow at my LFS. Thanks again everyone! This is a really great community!

fishhead

Thanks to everyone for helping me figure out what I have! I am going to get some of the Aptasia X stuff tomorrow at my LFS. Thanks again everyone! This is a really great community!

I don't know how many of those weeds you have, but before you start treating your whole tank, make sure it really needs it. If you can surgically remove them, that would be preferable to treating your tank. You can also inject them with various things. I have injected them with Kalkwasser and killed'em before.
I guess I am just saying you should not over react, but should definitely react to those buggers before it becomes a problem.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Aiptasia-X is also one you inject - not a whole tank treatment. I prefer it as it doesn't drift over & other other corals like some other products do. I use it on Majanos and it does a great job.

fishhead

Aiptasia-X is also one you inject - not a whole tank treatment. I prefer it as it doesn't drift over & other other corals like some other products do. I use it on Majanos and it does a great job.

Thanks for pointing that out. I have never used it, maybe I was thinking of joe's juice, which I haven't used either, but it seem you were supposed to raise tank temp, keep lights out, turn off skimmer and reove any carbon...sounded like a pain. Very glad to hear you can shoot'em up. Much better. :apimp:

1Reefer

The peppermint shrimp "should" eat em....they took mine out real quick and I had a rather bad infestation.