Controller(s)???

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Hi,
I have a 28G jbj nano that is well on its way through the cycle (live sand and some LR really help) and I am starting to review the tank's ability to "run itself". I've been reading of heaters frying a tank etc so I want to look into a controller.

With that said, I would like to get your input on a controller that does a lot more than just a heater on/off. Can it report on temp, PH and lights etc? I see some of you guys have "live updates" in your profile (awesome).

Sooooo, please dump your knowledge!

Thanks - Bryan

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
What's the diff with the Lite version?

Will they cut off power to the heater if it spikes? I would assume i would just need the PH and Temp probe right? And, the unit itself should be able to control my lights via the power pack/strip right?

Can't wait to break this price tag to the lady.......

jpsika08

Basically, you tell the controller if the temp raises above a certain temperature to cut out the heaters power outlet, as this you can control a vast number of things.

The differences would be:
* Lite does not have VariableSpeed ports - for controlling Tunze pumps or 0-10VDC-dimmable lighting
* Lite does not have an ORP port on the base unit

I would get the Lite version, you can add more modules in the future if you want to.

The Lite version (Please check if you decide to get this) bring a Temp and Ph Probe.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Awesome......I think that's what i'm lookign for. would that run my MP10 or would I still run that off ot it's driver?

jpsika08

With the stock Apex you'll be able to just turn off/on your vortech, but when adding the WXM (Wireless Module) you can synchronize your Apex and Vortech Driver, with this you can your Apex deliver different flow modes through out the day, each mode is the same as the Apex own modes, Reefcrest, Lagoon mode, Nutrient etc.

In my case for example, I have both MP's running at different flows during the day, my fish and coral love this as it varies all the time.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
GREAT idea to "Go Controller". Few people ever go back to the dark side once they've seen how much FUN a controller really is.

I know the APEX is getting a good reputation and Neptune has always had a good following but don't overlook the higher end of the spectrum of controllers GHL ProfiLux. In all honesty you do get a lot of Bang for your Buck with the APEX but if you want to really up the game check out the ProfiLux.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I was looking at them on BRS......would love to hear some feedback on them if anyone has it!

jpsika08

I think DA Reef Keeper is a great choice, but as Neptune Sys has more time in the market they may be a little ahead from them, still nice choice.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I agree with Juan.

If I just wanted a "simple" controller I'd opt for the DA RK Lite. I think it's going for around $99 and that's a steal. Start there and add to it as you want more. Several RS members here have one of the DA controllers and they seem to love them.

DaveK

... I have a 28G jbj nano ... I've been reading of heaters frying a tank etc so I want to look into a controller. ...

All the replies to the OP do give good advice on controllers. However, they miss a very important point. The OP has a 28 gal tank. While a controller is a good addition to large reef, it is really not justified on a smaller tank. If you want to monitor pH, ORP, and Temp, and control lighting and pumps via a controller, you can easily spend more than you have spent on everything else in the system.

Taking this into consideration, the best advice is do not get a controller at this time. If you are later in a position to upgrade to a much larger reef, then consider a controller.

If your worried about a heater cooking the livestock, get a quality one to start with, such as Jager. They are not that expensive. If you still are worried, you can get a dual set point, heater and chiller controller, but IMO that's really not justified.

A couple of heavy duty timers from Home Depot or similar store will nicely control you lighting, and are inexpensive.

steved13

PREMIUM
The D/A RK lite is now $119. It's a great controller I had one. It's very basic (for the money it has to be) but very expandable. I changed to the Neptune Apex. The Neptune has the module available now to control the Vortech, I was very disapointed when I asked about Vortech control for the D/A. Basically I was told D/A can't meet their own timetables so they've stopped giving timetables. Not a good way to do business, you can see my inquiry and answer on their forum.

For notifications and live updates in the sig, that you were asking about, you will need a controller with "net" capabilities. I ordered the full Apex and the LFS accidently ordered the "lite". Being the old kid I am I didn't want to wait so I kept the "lite". Juan has it right on the differences, and you can add modules to the lite to make it 100% equal to the "non lite". I'm seriuosly considering upgrading my lighting to AI LED and I would need the Apex module for that, which adds the variable speed outlets anyway, so at that point I would need the ORP module and I would have full capabilites of the non lite.

Whichever way you go make sure you plan everything you know you want to do with it, and buy the one that will do all of that. And then check the expandability. You don't want to spend $119 git it and spend another $400 to make it do all you want, when you could have spent $100 less from the beginning. I originally bought the ReefKeeper lite because I had no idea what I would use it for and no experience with one. So for $99 (at that time) I could try it out. Then Juan showed me the vortech control and I had to have it so....

To DaveK's point, I've said this before and it is 100% true...Almost nobody NEEDS a controller, it's just a toy.

But it's a really cool toy :D

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Thanks guys. I'm not too concerned with the $$ aspect to go the DIY route but I don't want to buy one with tons of additional stuff that I will never use bit them again, I love toys and do plan to upgrade to a bigger tank. Being able to pull it up on my iPhone is just too damn cool nit to consider!!!

jpsika08

With the Apex you can pull it in your iphone, all morning when I wake up I check my tank status LOL

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I'm going to put together a business case for the lady to show her how much fun it will be and how it protects "her" fish. After asking for the mp10 es pump (and getting it) I just got the "you don't want to but a house do you" line. Time to go to work on her!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Steve, if you can edit it to say it is a necessity that would help the business case!