Clown Fish Breeding Tank

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I figured I'd start a new thread on my latest brain storm. I have a friend who has been breeding a pair of clowns for about 6 months and I figured it might be interesting to give it a shot. Here is just a 20g long that I just sectioned off into two. I think my first pair will be a pair of black and white ocellaris because they seem popular enough for me to find just about any where. Then something a little more rare. Any suggestions?

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I applaud your ambition. As for picking the clowns, do so with care. Alot of the Hybrids are crossbred to produce those morphs, and as a result hatches can be small, survival rate will be average, but the number of survivers that have morphs making them worth selling will be abysmally small. A pair of black and whites would be a good start, i've also heard false perc, maroon or clarkii are easy to handle. Key is to get healthy stock. I have a friend that did clown breeding for years, He bought 8 of each clown he wanted to breed. He let those 8 loose into a 120g bare bottom tank with multiple clay pots for a month till they paired off on their own. When places sell mated pairs, its sorta deceptive. Mated pairs IMHO should already be laying, not come in a box with the larger of the 2 barely over 3/4". The benifit to buying "mated pairs" is they are pretty much guaranteed to come from different parents. My friend put each pair in its own 20g tank, blacked out on 3 sides. He raised black/white, false percs and Clarkii's. he had 24 pairs going in seperate tanks, all bought as mated pairs, some from different vendors. It took him 3 years to get even half the pairs laying eggs.

If you're doing this for fun, dont spend a large fortune on the setup or the clowns, since it can and often does take over a year for a 1/2" juvy to sexually mature, and can take another year to or more to persuade them to lay eggs. If you are doing it for trade, Great. My hats off to ya. If you're doing this to setup a small time profitable business, dont bother. The market is saturated, which is why my friend who ended up with 14 pairs laying regularly, sold the fish, tanks and everything. he had more fry than he could care for, and more juviniles than he could sell/give away.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Great info ddelozier...

Basically I'm just doing it for fun. If they spawn and I manage to raise a few great. If not no biggie. It would be kinda cool if I pull it off but believe me, I won't loose sleep over it:)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I'm just tagging along to see the baby clowns IF you get some Mark! :D
Best Wishes :chair::lurk:

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I'm just tagging along to see the baby clowns IF you get some Mark! :D
Best Wishes :chair::lurk:

Romance is in the air:)

I'll be out of town for the next 3 days so that will give all of the silicone more than enough time to cure. Sunday when I get home I'll plumb the the sump and get it wet. Then I'll pay a visit to my LFS and ask him to send in the clowns:) I'll try and see if he can order me a mated pair.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Time to add the shrimp, get the protein skimmer working and top her off to start the cycle.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Shrimp is in, Skimmer on, Flower Pots added, live rock added and heater is heating. Cycle has officially begun!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Set up looks really good Mark! Excited to see you get to add clowns after it cycles :time:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I think the way you have it set up will be pretty easy to keep clean & do WC's at the same time.
You should do fine, so stop worrying. :thumber:

Mike Johnson

Same here. Smallest tank ever was a 55; now I'm dealing with 10 gal. And 1 gal tanks! I think it's cool that you can see everything in the little tanks though.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Oh, was going to ask if you put the shrimp in the area of the LR or where? I don't see it in the photos.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I just did my first "what if" power failure test and I was on the edge of my seat watching the water back-flow down to the 20g sump. It brought it to about 1/2" from the top with such a small amount of water. Little uneasy to say the least. LOL

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Ladies and gentlemen meet Mr. & Mrs. Black Ice Ocellaris or as my daughter would like to call them...Sally and Nick from the cartoon "Cat In The Hat!" LOL