Closed Loop Systems

tigerarmy90

what ive got is 5 holes in the back of my tank, 1 feeds the pump, 2 are about4 inches from the bottom i plumbed on the inside and ran locline under my rock work and faced them in opposit dir, i also added ball valves to those return lines, the other 2 are closer to the top with locline. now all of this is with 1 pump. the oceans motions controls which holes the flow comes out of. it alternates from 1 top and bottom to the other top and bottom.

your system sounds very similar to mine! I have a 2" drain and 4x1" returns that will be running a om 4 way and sequence dart!!! I love the idea of not having to look at pumps in the tank or running cables down the back or side of it

mps9506

If I use a PVC ball valve to throttle it back, will the back pressure hurt the pump in anyway? I know it can damage cheaper pumps, but this one is pretty solid. I'm looking for hopefully a few years of use.

What is the main difference between this one and the Iwaki?

Like everyone else said, a ball valve after the pump is fine, do not use one on the intake though. When you plumb your setup, place Union ball valves on each side of the pump so you can isolate and remove the pump to clean it.

The Sequence will be more efficient and quieter than the Iwaki.

You also mentioned the SQWD. Please don't use a SQWD over a Sequence, the SQWD will totally ruin the amount of flow you get and they are prone to clogging if any detritus, sand or anything gets into the body of the sqwd. If you want a wavemaker type setup go with an Ocean's Motion unit. If you want something to randomize flow take a look at Sea Swirls or something similar.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I run a dolphin amp master 3000 on my CL. Don't even know its there. I have two feed holes drilled in the center back and 4 returns. The reason for two feeds to the pump are so if one gets clogged by something, (a fish or anemone) the other still pulls water in.

mps9506

I have no idea, I heard they came out with a larger size, but regardless these things will cut flow up to 40%, just not worth it.
I like the ampmasters as well, especially the AM3000, ultra quiet. You do need to keep an eye on the seals, which is the only reason I recomend the Sequence pumps over them.

mps9506

I don't use em ;) I know you can buy the SW seal kit, but I "heard" you still need to replace them every couple years. Did I hear wrong? It wouldn't be the first time. And now that I think about it my buddies tank has been running two AM 3000 since 2003 or 2004 without issue...

WDCMarine

I have checked out the Ocean,s Motion website. What about Ampmasters? Are there any good companies that sell these items cheaper than the manufacturer?

billyr98

if you are thinking about ocean motions, just call Paul from Ocean Motions, he designed my flow system. I run 2 darts on 2 4-ways. The pumps are quiet and the OM-4way is AWESOME! Paul is a great guy to talk too...

check my thread for some pics..

Ratpack

Great thread. I have a question for everyone. I have a 75g tank and I am getting ready to drill it. I want to run SPS in the top half of the tank but be able to keep LPS and some softies as well. The pump for my CL is going to be a Dart. So, what size and how many holes do I need? Where should they be? I think I am going to go bare bottom so that it is easier to keep clean but SSB is not totally out of the question either is possible with the flow I will have.

Ratpack

It will be without an OM, at least initially. When I run the plumbing, I will run it accordingly to put on in later, but for now, it will be straight from the pump.

WDCMarine

Does anyone have exeperience with Tunze wavemaker systems or turnbelle pumps? Are they worth the money and what makes the turnbelles so much better than say maxi-jets?

Triggerjay

When you plumb your setup, place Union ball valves on each side of the pump so you can isolate and remove the pump to clean it.

I have to say something I may get in trouble for.... UNION BALL VALVES SUCK! Buy the ball valves seperate from the unions. Use unions too, but don't get the combo union ball valves. I used these on my CL. If I shut off the pump, and valve it off to take it out for servicing, the crappy union ball valves LEAK!!! I have had to drain my tank 1/2 way down, just to work on my CL pump. CRAPPY SHODDY UNION BALL VALVES!!! Sorry, had to let that one out after dumping 20 or so gallons on the floor!

Jason

BarbMazz

Jason, do you think that's true for ALL union ball valves, or are there different levels in quality between different manufacturers? I was planning on union ball valves but what you say gives me pause.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I have to say something I may get in trouble for.... UNION BALL VALVES SUCK! Buy the ball valves seperate from the unions. Use unions too, but don't get the combo union ball valves. I used these on my CL. If I shut off the pump, and valve it off to take it out for servicing, the crappy union ball valves LEAK!!! I have had to drain my tank 1/2 way down, just to work on my CL pump. CRAPPY SHODDY UNION BALL VALVES!!! Sorry, had to let that one out after dumping 20 or so gallons on the floor!

Jason

Hey buddy. I have one word for you...

WADERS

:LOL:

tbittner

I saw it mentioned to NOT install a ball valve on the input pipe to the pump. You HAVE to, read MUST install a ball valve on BOTH sides of the pump so you can isolate the pump from the water in order to service it. The ball valve on the input side MUST be wide open when the pump is running though. :)

Just wanted to clarify that. :D

billyr98

I saw it mentioned to NOT install a ball valve on the input pipe to the pump. You HAVE to, read MUST install a ball valve on BOTH sides of the pump so you can isolate the pump from the water in order to service it. The ball valve on the input side MUST be wide open when the pump is running though. :)

Just wanted to clarify that. :D

That is so Correct!!!

tbittner

I installed ball valves as close to the pump as I possibly can. These are left wide open. I then install another ball valve, on the return side, up behind the tank that I use to make adjustments to the flow. If I need to service the pump, I close the ball valves right at the pump and there isn't much water that I need to deal with then, it's just whatever is left in the two little pieces of pipe.

But then again, the ball valve behind the tank is 60 feet away from the pump so I have a LOT of gallons suspended in the 1 1/2" pipe. :D

Hopefully that clarifies that a little more. :)