Classroom Reef

HurricaneCaleb

Hey everyone,
I was directed to the forum by Frankie. I am a teacher in North Charleston, SC, and am working with our Marine Bio teacher to get a reef system going. Our vision is 3 stages

Stage 1:
Display Tank. The plan is to have the tank set up and be able to do research/ observations/ (insert scientific jargon). With the help of our LFS, we have a new 125 dual overflow tank sitting on the counter in the back of the class. We also received around 80 lbs of dry rock from reefrocks.net We are still working on gathering the other equipment.

Stage 2:
Individual research tanks. We are planning on having 10-20 tanks for students to work on. The Bio teacher has all kinds of ideas for research.

Stage 3:
Captive breeding and coral propagation. We would like to set up a frag tank and breeding system. Our goal is to be able to sell/ trade to make our whole system self sufficient. We would also love to be able to host frag swaps and meeting for local reefers.

We have had some awesome responses from online dealers and local shops. People have offered everything from products at cost to livestock donations. We have applied for several grants with no results so far. Our Admin has asked us to submit a proposal, we are in the process of typing it up.

If anyone has any funding ideas please do not hesitate to comment. Also, I would like to start a thread on here to track our progress and for students/ teachers to research topics. What section should I post that in? Thanks for the opportunity to post, I look forward to many more.

ReefLady

Staff member
Hi Caleb, and welcome to Reef Sanctuary!

I have removed your email address from your post because it's generally a recipe for a serious spam problem to post that publicly. Instead, I would encourage people to contact you via Private Message here on RS - you can then give out your email address privately. :)

As for the tank build thread, we have the perfect place and lots of examples! Check it out here: Reef Chronicles

Best of luck with the project!

lbiminiblue

Hey everyone,
I was directed to the forum by Frankie. I am a teacher in North Charleston, SC, and am working with our Marine Bio teacher to get a reef system going. Our vision is 3 stages

Stage 1:
Display Tank. The plan is to have the tank set up and be able to do research/ observations/ (insert scientific jargon). With the help of our LFS, we have a new 125 dual overflow tank sitting on the counter in the back of the class. We also received around 80 lbs of dry rock from reefrocks.net We are still working on gathering the other equipment.

Stage 2:
Individual research tanks. We are planning on having 10-20 tanks for students to work on. The Bio teacher has all kinds of ideas for research.

Stage 3:
Captive breeding and coral propagation. We would like to set up a frag tank and breeding system. Our goal is to be able to sell/ trade to make our whole system self sufficient. We would also love to be able to host frag swaps and meeting for local reefers.

We have had some awesome responses from online dealers and local shops. People have offered everything from products at cost to livestock donations. We have applied for several grants with no results so far. Our Admin has asked us to submit a proposal, we are in the process of typing it up.

If anyone has any funding ideas please do not hesitate to comment. Also, I would like to start a thread on here to track our progress and for students/ teachers to research topics. What section should I post that in? Thanks for the opportunity to post, I look forward to many more.
Post your thread in General Reef Tank Discussion. Wow sounds awesome, that's going to be a serious look-forward-to-science-class for the kids. Do you have a tank yourself? What would you keep in the smaller tanks?

lbiminiblue

Hey everyone,

Stage 1:

Stage 2:

Stage 3:

are you going to make a tank chronicle?

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
Welcome to RS. Wish I had teachers like you when I was in HS 20 years ago :)

Luis spammed a thread again :spam:

BLADEYAMAHA

agcwelcome29.gif

dmatt88

Car wash? Bake sale? Fragging lessons? Id rule out a fish fry. But I love the idea!

........I have nothing intelligent left to say.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hello :wave: and welcome to RS~~

KUDOS to you and your school for taking on such a rewarding project. I'm so jealous!

Can't wait to see this project get started and come to life :)

HurricaneCaleb

I have a 75 that has been running for about 8 months. This is my first sw tank. It holds 2 b&w occ clowns, one chromis, cleaner shrimp, peperment shrimp, various snails and crabs. I am sticking with zoanthids for the time being. I really like the colors and growth rate. I also have a massive rbta. My tank a slow process. I spend too much time researching to actually buy fish.

Where will I get the most feedback, chronicle or general reef discussion?

sk8rdn

HurricaneCaleb said:
I have a 75 that has been running for about 8 months. This is my first sw tank. It holds 2 b&w occ clowns, one chromis, cleaner shrimp, peperment shrimp, various snails and crabs. I am sticking with zoanthids for the time being. I really like the colors and growth rate. I also have a massive rbta. My tank a slow process. I spend too much time researching to actually buy fish.

Where will I get the most feedback, chronicle or general reef discussion?

If its a question, the general discussion area. If you want a chronicle of your tank and an area to showcase it, then I'd say go to the chronicles section.

...."Fish" Happens!....

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Or you can have your own "Special" section loaded under the "Aquarium Club/Group" section :)