Clam questions

sirrealism

You were not bugging me at all. Like Frankie said we live for this stuff. Also its already posted in "lets see some clams" Frankie is right. Fut it on its own flat rock if you can find one. Even though its already is connected to a piece of rubble. If it feels the new rock it will attach to the new rock. then you can move him if you need to. Plus he might open more if he feels stable.

Coraljunkie

Absolutely. I'm gonna try to get flat piece of rock somewhere. I did buy the Thrive clam kit which comes with two ceramic cradles but I think they'll be too small for this clam

Coraljunkie

I got a flat piece of rock today and covered it with sand and placed the clam on top of it. The piece of rubble it's attached to prevents it from staying up so I took a piece of rock and rested it against the side of the clam shell to keep it up right. Is that ok for now until it decides to attach to the flat rock?

Coraljunkie

Ok thanks, I dusted the sand off. Will this clam eventually move it's threads to the bigger rock or should I remove it from the small rock? I've read someone say something about crushed ice around the foot and smaller rock and it will release from it rather than having to cut them

Coraljunkie

I may have forgot to mention that the rock it's attached to covers the entire part of the clam where the threads come out from, this being the case, would it still be able to attach to the other rock? Sorry I just find it hard to believe only because I've never experienced it.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Let's have a picture of this rock it is attached to you seem to be so worked up over. Personally i think you need to just let it be.
Clams can walk you know ;) if it is not happy it will move on its own.
Anyway, i have removed clams from rocks using a scalpel and gently scrapping the filaments to coax it free. Another and better way is to place it on a steep incline on the reef and let gravity pull it loose. It will release on its own in that situation.