Clam questions

Coraljunkie

I was wondering how you can tell if a clam needs to be burped? I got a clam almost 2 weeks ago and it still refuses to fully open. It does react quickly to shadows so I'm still hoping for the best. I did notice that every so often it snaps shut and shoots water out and blows the sand up.

Coraljunkie

Btw I did flip it around a bit when I introduced it into my tank it was fully closed and nothing happened

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Okie dokie :)

The answer is yes they should be turned over once simply as a precautionary measure when exposed to air, this will allow any trapped air that the clam can't clear manually to escape. The clam will do the rest, that being said always ensure a clam is as closed as possible before moving to ensure that they don't get over exposed to the air, I move my large t. maxima and didn't turn upside down due to space restrictions but I made well sure she was completely shut before lifting her out of the water :)

You params look and as long as they are stable you should be fine :) Make sure you keep an eye on temp as they will close up if it's not right!

The next thing is can we see some pics and species of clam is it? How long did you acclimatise it for?? Given that it's opening (even if not fully) that's a good thing, especially as it's reacting to light changes. The main thing is to let them settle before disturbing them again as you don't want to over stress them!
How frequently is it closing up? This is a normal reaction for a clam clearing debris or detritus from themselves and if they're continually doing it it might be a sign of an irritant inside the clam.

Some pics and info on the clam will help the most in solving if somethings wrong or if it's just taking it's time to open fully :)

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Stunner maxima :D Good to hear about the acclimatisation length too :)

My initial guess as to what it might be is that, is there a rock or something under the clam it can attach itself too??

Coraljunkie

It was attached toa piece of rubble when I got it and it hasn't let go of it, but no aside from that there isn't anything else

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I would get a small flat rock and place the clam on that, it's probably not opening fully due to the lack of stability it has around it, t. maxima grow on rocks and other hard substances so a flat rock and I reckon you'll be having one happy clam :)

Frankie

RS STAFF
Parameters are good. The ca++ could be lowered a bit. 420 ppm is the desired number. To high and the calcium uptake can be affected. Causing slower growth rates.
The clam looks good. Give it time. To much mantle is what would worry me. Yours looks healthy.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
+1 to what Frankie has just said :) It is definitely a healthy looking clam with no obvious signs of distress or injury :)

There are ways to remove it but I would recommend just getting a palm sized flat rock or even better one with a slight curve in it and just sit the clam where it can sit nice and stable, it will eventually attach it's foot to the other rock as well :)

sirrealism

Coraljunkie I have a maxima that looks just like yours 7" and it took a couple months before it opened any farther then yours. Not sure why maximas dont open as far as say my squamys but give it time and it will open more when its ready. I know you have asked before about this but really it looks very healthy.

Snelly40

great looking clam!! above it was mentioned about the proper temps as well and i was curious as to what those were? i've always thought clams are just beautiful yet ive never had one

Coraljunkie

I know I shouldn't mess with it but I felt it was too close to a rock with red hornet zoas so I moved it to the middle of the tank where it has plenty of space

Frankie

RS STAFF
Maxima clams prefer rock substrate over sandy ones.
They use filaments (byssal filaments) to attach to the hard substrates.
It is important not force them when relocating. You can damage the dorsal petal (foot) and byssal filaments, resulting in the death of the clam.
Corals usually will not harm a clam. In nature clams burrow into rock (using a secretion that dissolves the rock) covering most of the shell and exposes just the mantle.
When in danger they close up and are fairly safe from predators.