HELP! Clam gaping?

bazmackem

Hi, I bought my first clam on Friday and just got back from work and it seems to be "gaping"?? It also hasn't latched to the rock yet. It seems responsive to fish going near and the mantle recedes and then comes back out. Does it look ok?
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

bazmackem

It's on a big rock that is in the sand bed, I was advised to put it on the bottom until it latches then move up a bit if I want to. The photos are rubbish as taken with flash through the glass - colours are good but look bad under the flash. It is the hole I'm worried about but googling shows it sometimes happens? Only had it for 3 days so doubt it is starving?

bazmackem

This is as the lights have just come on. Still open. Looks clean enough around it's mantle etc... Advice?
image.jpg

Mandy11

The whole your seeing is fairly normal. Yes its open a little more than usual, but I personally wouldn't worry about it. I have 5 clams and the "whole " you speak of varies on each of them.
Rocks are not always the best place to put them, as it can hinder them opening fully, so what you have done is perfect. All mine are on the sand.

You never target fed clams, they are filter feeders and will extract food from the water column just fine, ive heard quite a few horror stories with people trying to target feed and killing them.

In my opinion he doesn't look sick or near death but more a little stressed which could be him needing time to adjust to his new home.

IMG_0152.JPG

rostervandross

Wow what a creature. I have yet to see a clam in person.

I think I heard that if you move them they can die.. so how do you get them into your tank in the first place? Is it just when they become established that they can't be moved?

Good luck to you and your clam baz.

Mandy11

Gutted - came home tonight and it's died. Can't believe it only lasted 4 days! Not only the cost of it but it was such a bonny thing. Gutted
Oh that's awful so sorry. Can I ask - did you aclimate him before going in tank ? They are fairly sensitive creatures a sudden change in parameters would have stressed her. I don't actually think it was your fault, clams will generally deteriorate over quite a few weeks not die in 4 days (unless something is very wrong ). I think he may have been in way out at time of purchase if only lasted that long. Don't let it put you off. They really aren't that difficult.

Mandy11

Wow what a creature. I have yet to see a clam in person.

I think I heard that if you move them they can die.. so how do you get them into your tank in the first place? Is it just when they become established that they can't be moved?

Good luck to you and your clam baz.
They have a foot that attaches to rock or glass to hold them steady. Sometimes if you forcefully move them the foot rips & bacterial infection sets in. But if you gently pry then off being very careful of foot they are generally fine. We move ours all the time. They will also detach their own foot to move themselves quit often. If foot is ripped off it can repair if infection doesn't set in , it actually regrows it.

Pat24601

My experience with clams is very mixed. A had a gorgeous one that lasted me a long time and then was just dead one day. I made up reasons why, but the truth is I don't know. I was pretty religious about my water parameters at that time, so I don't think that was the problem.

Then I bought a deresa clam thinking it would be hardier and it didn't last long at all. I think a few weeks? I bought it online and I suspect it got damaged in the shipping and or acclimation process. But, who knows.

So, now I'm going to try again when the mood strikes me. Maybe the next time @mac has a clam special. :)

bazmackem

Thanks all,
You have all hit the nail on the head... It's the not knowing why that really frustrates me. I acclimated for well over an hour, sat on a flat rock and kept checking if it had latched, it never did. It was prob 2.5" long. Another site said maybe my light wasn't strong enough... But surely light wouldn't kill over 4 days?

It has really put me off, cost me £60 plus some traded Kenya tree! There is no comeback and no real way of guaranteeing something will survive I suppose.... Upsetting to think it's died because of something in my tank!

Mandy11

Thanks all,
You have all hit the nail on the head... It's the not knowing why that really frustrates me. I acclimated for well over an hour, sat on a flat rock and kept checking if it had latched, it never did. It was prob 2.5" long. Another site said maybe my light wasn't strong enough... But surely light wouldn't kill over 4 days?

It has really put me off, cost me £60 plus some traded Kenya tree! There is no comeback and no real way of guaranteeing something will survive I suppose.... Upsetting to think it's died because of something in my tank!
Often when we have purchased clams the assistant takes very little care on its removal and tears it's foot. The fact he never attatched again suggests that may be the problem. The foot looks very similar to an anenome foot,next time you buy a clan make sure it's still attached to its base in the bag. A torn foot can kill a clam fairly quickly. :(