Claire's Secondhand RSM 250

clairebear

I was cleaning the glass last night and realised there were heaps of pods everywhere! I am pretty excited as I haven't seen pods in my tank in a long time. I wonder why?

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
It just happens sometimes although without the wrasse they will probably be under a lot less predation :)

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Would love to hear an update Claire :) Maybe even some pics!! :yup: How's the pod population going??

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Would love to hear an update on things Claire! :) Maybe even some pics too!! Hope all is well up North too :)

clairebear

Hi! Sorry I haven't been around for a while... I didn't want to post until I caught up with everyone's threads and I still haven't had time yet! I found my coral sea fairy wrasse... behind the TV cabinet :down:

Otherwise, I'm still trying to get nitrates down and get my lights right. I think I went up too quickly, then I had them down too low. So not many visual changes, and still hardly any corals! Very boring. But I do still have fish LOL.

Anyway, I will try to get caught up on here soon.

clairebear

Thanks Glenn.

When I do water changes, I have to go downstairs to wash the skimmer. I guess that's when she had a chance to jump out. If I get another jumping fish I might need to rethink the way I do it. I really loved that fish though...

I've been trying to reduce my nitrates for a fair few months now. It all started because my test kit that I got with the tank was reading as 0. However, as time went by and I learnt more I thought that couldn't be right. So I got a new salifert test kit and what do you know, they are more like 40! I have been running NOPOX for a couple of months, but the nitrates are fairly stable. So I am doing a couple more things to try to get them down: I did a 40% water change on the weekend, I've started really vacuuming my sand, I am cutting feeding to 1/2 a cube per day (should have done this a while ago as I have less fish) and I have set up my HOG algae scrubber again. I don't actually have any algae but hopefully some will grow on the scrubber, and I was really happy with it when I was using it.

I might do another 40% change this weekend, depending on what nitrate reading I get.

Do you guys think these measures will be enough?

Sent from my TP500LN using Tapatalk

Danreef

Are you sure the new kit is correct ?

Have you measured fresh prepared sea water as a control of the kit ?

clairebear

I tested the Salifert on some sea water from the LFS and I got abooouuut 0.2. Mine now look to be about 15 after another 40% water change. I have trouble matching the colours, they all look the same to me.

It's confusing because I read things that say water changes won't lower nitrates, then other people say 40-50% changes will. Well water changes are the only thing that have lowered them for me so far. I might even do one more 40% change if they won't shift.

Oh well!

zigman

Another suggestion I was given to lower nitrates was to change out or add Purigen and Chem Pure Elite (CPE) to the media rack instead of or in addition to the activated carbon. Worked well for me, but water changes should work too.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
How's the tank going Claire? Did you end up sorting out the nitrate issues?? We need to see a pic too :)

clairebear

Well its been awhile! My nitrates are now about 5, but I can't seem to get them any lower. Which is ok. I just added a couple of corals, one is a birdsnest. It has 2 crabs living in it though! I have been trying to ID them but it's pretty difficult. Anyway here is how the tank looks at the moment
eb6b6fe7f44bf5f7085dff4ff1554ac3.jpg

9aae60f238817d8775397e69fa8e8650.jpg

clairebear

Thanks for the links! I like the part where it says "please do not recoil in horror" Yep that was me when that little claw came out :roflmao:

I have been exploring the new site all night (while at work). Some new things to learn on here!

I am probably overdue for a big tank clean. I pull out the pumps and soak them in vinegar and try and suck all of the crud out of the back. There is always a bit left in there though. I pulled out the whole skimmer once but it had all of these hard worm things on it and it was really spiky and it hurt my hands lol so not keen on that. What do you guys all do?