Claire's Secondhand RSM 250

clairebear

Well we got them working last night. It took us a while but we weren't very organised! We had a few problems but most of them were of our own making Haha! The power source for the typhon was dead so at 10pm we were going through the house trying to find one the same! We found one though and everything is working well so far! Now I just have to tweak the settings to get them how I want them. Pics soon :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

clairebear

Well I haven't got all the pics I wanted because I'm working tonight/now. But in the meantime I wanted to ask a question. I have been thinking about eventually adding an SPS or two to three rocks at the top of the tank. Does anyone have recommendations for SPS that are best for beginners? Do you think that my rockscape is too far down in the tank for SPS?

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
After adding the led's and if you build your scape up a little bit by adding a few more rocks you will be more than suitable to add some good old sps corals :D (best corals you can keep but don't tell anyone :p haha)
Some wicked beginnner sps corals are things like birdsnest acropora, encrusting montipora and then plating mont's, milli's are amazing sps too :) Porites aren't too difficult either. Any other questions Claire, please ask :) I adore my sps corals :yup:

clairebear

I though you might have some advice for me Dom! I really liked the birdsnests and plating montis, although I have no idea how people stick them to the rocks the way they do! If I added more rocks could I get away with non live rock do you think? I'd like to re scape the whole thing one day but I'm not very imaginative and my rocks aren't the best shapes... Thanks for the advice!

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I do try to give out as much advice as I can :) Both are easy to keep sps and come in some amazing colours so feel free to get one or two to try them out once you have your led's and a bit more rock!
You could add live or dead rock, it won't make much of a difference either way :) It'll just be really obvious if you use dry rock as it is white and will stand out till you have coralline grow over it and turn it into live rock :) It's entirely up to you and what you'd like!

clairebear

Hey Dom - I was wondering if you could tell me how getting corals shipped in Aus works? What happens if you aren't home when they try to deliver them? Thanks!

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I can do my best to explain it to you :)
I haven't had many shipped to me but the first thing I would say is it is best to be home when they do get delivered or organise to pick it up from the post office the day that it's getting delivered, less chance that things can go wrong the sooner you can get your coral!
In terms of how things are actually shipped, it varies from store to store as to how they pack their corals. Usually it involves a safe container like a Styrofoam box or something equally as sturdy and they pack newspaper or packing noodles around the bags to minimise movement and such. That doesn't vary all too much with stores but it's how they pack the corals that varies the most. Largely stores with stick the coral to some Styrofoam or something equally buoyant as this forces the coral to stay underwater during transit, which is what you want. Everyone generally uses express overnight postage with AusPost but some have options for couriers and airport pickup depending on how you want to get the coral and what suits you best :)
Hopefully that makes sense and explains it all :) Let me know if you have any other questions! Are you looking to order from someone??

clairebear

I think I might have to eventually, I have a few things on my wishlist that I'm not sure I will be able to get. Orange hammer, a pretty chalice, plating montis. I'm thinking about ordering something cheap to see how it goes though, I'm just worried about how to make sure I'm home when it arrives. And I'm not sure I could send it to work (a hospital), everything gets delivered to the loading dock which isn't ideal... Thanks for the advice! Probably won't do it soon, I like to think about things for awhile, as you can see by the slow progress of my tank haha!

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Nothing wrong with going slowly!!! :) If you want to do a trial with some hardy corals I would definitely get some zoa's shipped as they'll survive even if you're not there to pick them up :)

clairebear

Yeah that sounds like a good idea. Thanks! I need to go rock shopping at some point too...

clairebear

Well today my mate Dave the sleeper banded goby went to the LFS because he decided he'd rather try to eat a few snails and a blenny than his dinner.

Wolffman64

Well today my mate Dave the sleeper banded goby went to the LFS because he decided he'd rather try to eat a few snails and a blenny than his dinner.

Naughty, naughty, you should have punished him with the frying pan.:hammerhea

clairebear

Maybe I should have! Hopefully he finds a new home where he'll be more appreciated.

Just a quick question today - we're going away for 10 days in April. I haven't got an ATO yet but I'm thinking about getting a Tunze nano.
a) is the nano is good as the regular Tunze
b) would you trust an ATO while you're away where if something goes wrong your fish feeding person will have to deal with it?

Thanks!

clairebear

I got a scolly on Thursday. It's my dream scolly, exactly the one I wanted. Well as soon as I put it in my tank the evil peppermint shrimp jumped on it. So I've had it covered with a container when the lights were off until I could catch him. Yesterday I look in, full lights are on and the CLEANER shrimp is ripping the tissue off it!!!

I have to remove him don't I? No one will want a coral killing cleaner shrimp though so I don't know what to do with him? I'm so cranky about this whole thing. My poor scolly... :(

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Very rare for a cleaner shrimp to go after a coral, can't remember a post on RS every saying one did. Sure he was harming it? Now the peppermint, depending on variation that could be another story. Here hoping you can sort.

clairebear

Yeah I actually watched him do it for like 30 seconds because I couldn't believe it. Where he was nibbling the tissue was disappearing.