Chronicle to Christopher's 1st Reef Adventure!

GeeWizzItsMe

Here are the pictures of my new tank
-29 gallons
-4 yellow-tailed damselfish (waiting for cycle)
-1 week old!
-15+ pounds of live rock
-Crabs, cleaner shrimp, and snails coming soon!
One of my fish
-My plan of fish after cycle
-1 yellow-tailed damsel
-1 royal gramma
-2 ocellaris clownfish
onefish.jpg

Last edited:

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Re: Yes! Everybody who likes new pics of a new tank

Love those little guys!:thumbup: Have you considered more LR?

Cassette87

They're lookin good! I agree with scott, more LR could liven it up a lot! :)

prow

nice i like. great start. more rock for sure, triple the current amount.

GeeWizzItsMe

Actually, there is no live rock! But yes, I am going to the LFS today to pick up a lot! I don't know if I will keep them; I will keep at least one probably...

blue_eyes53813

You will wanna wait till after the cycle for the hermits and crabs. They wont make it through the cycle

GeeWizzItsMe

Oh thank you guys! How long do you expect the cycle will take?

tippMANn98

Has been struck by the ban stick

i see you have volcanic rock in there...I would get rid of that...fish can get cut up pretty good on that rock.....

GeeWizzItsMe

I read somewhere that the water should be through the cycle to add live rock. Is that true? I kinda wanna add it today and get rid of the volcanic rock. And how do you know how much live rock to put in?

blue_eyes53813

About 1-1 1/2 lbs per gallon of water.So 30-45 lbs of rock would be good.You can add liverock during the cycle. it will help the cycle through. You will get some die off on the rocks but it will be ok. The cycle can last anywhere from 2-3 weeks to 6-8 weeks. You need to monitor ammonia-nitrites and nitrates during this time. If you dont have those test kits it would be a good idea to get them too. Good luck

Charlie97L

you don't need to have fish in there to get the cycle going. i much prefer to use a piece of cocktail shrimp from the store, you can put it in some pantyhose so it won't break apart.

live rock = goooooood.

GeeWizzItsMe

At my LFS they are doing the testing for me. How often should I bring my water sample?

Charlie97L

At my LFS they are doing the testing for me. How often should I bring my water sample?

weekly, but really, you should eventually get in the habit of doing it yourself... it depends on what test kits the LFS use, and often (at least in my experience), they don't test for things like calcium, which is crucial to coral health, because a commerical LFS usually only has 1 or 2 coral tanks, and those are on separate systems, and likely tended by 1 or 2 specific employees.

however, you will get the odd LFS that does things differently, and will test properly, though if they're doing a regular battery of tests for you, they should be charging.

i have LFSs around here that range from horrid to amazing. you really have to be careful. :)

not to sound depressing or anything, LFS can be a good source of information, but many are just there to make a buck, and don't care about your success in the hobby.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM

I love the titles to your photos. They're like the titles of Renaissance still life paintings!:lol: