Chronicle I, Tank III: Big Reefin' Project

Hello everyone, my name is Andrew and I've been in the hobby since May of this year. I have never thought of owning a SW tank until my wife told me to get a fish tank for my 24th birthday in May, think she was thinkin somethin small and a freshwater, I decided how awesome would it be to have a saltwater tank! At that time I had never even seen a saltwater aquarium in person except at a zoo or some type of wildlife park or museum. We ventured into the Old Town Aquarium here in Wichita and they had an established 46g Bowfront tank and stand with a Marineland C220 canister filter, pc lights, and 25lbs of live rand and a two inch SSB for $400. So I bought it. Lol, had no idea what I was getting myself into. From that night on, bein a total computer nerd, I immediately hopped on the net. Came across RS and have been an avid member ever since! A quick thank you to all for your input, answers, comments, and all around help to me in this hobby, its very much appreciated! Anyway, still have the 46g bowfront, up an runnin smooth with weekly water changes. Current upgrades: Tek Light 4x39w t5's. AquaC Remora HOB skimmer w/MJ1200. Originally came with crushed coral, swapped for 3 inch Sb of CaribSea Sugarsized sand and Caribsea Live aragonite, and added another 20 lbs. live rock. In July I purchased a 12g aquapod for my oldest boy on his 8th birthday, currently running buy does not have any fish in it(he's so picky and is still deciding what he wants), it has 18 lbs live rock and black aragonite ssb(really cool).

After I purchased the aquapod, I was really wanting to add a new fish to the 46g but wasn't sure what I wanted. At the time I had a lawnmower blenny and two false percs. My wife thought she would be really nice and go buy me a fish(without researching) she went to the LFS and they sold her a blue hippo tang that was the size of a quarter. I was NOT happy, and this LFS wouldn't take it back so I said fine I'll find someone to take it. After a few days and no responses online, and my wife and kids falling in love with the fish, my wife came to me and said I think we're just gonna have to get a bigger tank....and after I got ahold of myself because my wife was giving me permission to buy a bigger tank, I said ok we can but not from who you got the fish from! Since then I had been saving and looking around for a used tank and even researching new ones. I was planning on a small 125 long room divider in our upstairs living room til I came across this on craigslist(some of you may have seen this post previously http://wichita.craigslist.org/for/887266104.html). So I bought it, for $1200, and the movers delivered it today! The tank was up and running when I went and looked at it, and the water was crystal clear! No algae present and the rock has GREAT pinks, greens and purples all over!

Contents included:
Almost 2 year old 240G Tall Perfecto 72"x24"31" - blue background(rattlecanned, will soon be scraped and painted black).
Pine stand 32" tall(soon to be upgraded to a taller stand) total height is 5'2", i'm six foot. I'd like the top to be eye level...possibly.
Wet/Dry filtration system, bioballs,pump and plumbing included. Will most likely be converted to a sump after tank is drilled and overflows installed.
2 Koralia 4's
Over 250 lbs. of live rock, currently in two brute's in the garage, pics below. I'm going to weigh all of it before it enters the tank to get an exact weight on it all. Most is Fiji with some Tonga branch.
2 36" Coralife Deluxe Lunar Aqualights, each has two 10000k's and two actinics with lunar moonlights(will definately be upgraded soon!).
Tons of accesories, food and supplements(some pictured)
Live stock:
5.5" Clown Trigger - beautiful fish and very docile.....currently lol
5" Humu Humu Trigger - extremely docile, can hand feed
5.5"(maybe close to six) Miniatus Grouper (very very shy)

Can't think of anything else, getting tired, I work at 2 am lol, gotta go to bed, so here's some pics! This will be a pic heavy post, sorry for such a LONG initial post! They'll get shorter(I hope) More pics and future plans to come tomorrow! Thanks for reading!
Moving it in
102_1345.jpg

Full room view
102_1354.jpg

My boys and the tank
102_1347.jpg

Wet/Dry in stand
102_1355.jpg

Box o lights!
102_1359.jpg

Top o tank, glass tops aren't on it yet, gotta clean em but the lights are on it lol.
102_1360.jpg

sambrinar

Wow, I bet your wife wont suggest anything like that again. Great picts, beautiful boys.. you should join our reefing addict thread,,, you qualify for sure. Link is in my sig line :D if your interested, fun thread

OBTW bleeding crimson and blue is not normal ;)

Hey guys, what would you recommend to level off the front of my tank. Should I get a piece of plywood and put it under the front or get a mat and slide it under the front section of the stand? There's already a piece of foam between the tank and stand so that's not the problem its just that the floor isn't level and the whole thing(tank and stand are leaning forward a little bit).
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Yeah, i know, that's what I'm saying. The stand isn't level. I've got the foam between the tank and stand to make sure the tank is level once the stand is level. I believe it the concrete on the basement floor under the carpet that's not level. The tank and stand are two inches away from the wall for the plumbing and also to avoid the tack strip from the carpet. I placed the level on the floor on the carpet and it matches then stand, not level from the wall to the front of the stand. Should I place some plywood under the stand? Or maybe get some mats to place under the front of the stand?

Thanks for your help guys! The stand ended up only being unlevel by a quarter of an inch from front to back. My buddy nick and I attacked it tonight after i got done cleanin the inside of the tank, which of course required me gettin in it. My youngest saw me in the tank and started yelling at me to get out, once i got out he started yelling IN, he wanted in and me out. So i stuck him and my oldest in there and took a ton of photos. After getting it cleaned we lifted the stand with tank on it and used tack strips for carpet that Nick had from when they removed the carpet from his living room. We set them under where the stand sat with the tacks up and let the stand set back down on it. Its as perfectly level as we could get it, hope nothin occurs like with your AGA castro, sorry to hear about that by the way! Good thing Nick was available to help me, he's a carpenter lol. After getting it level we hooked up a hose to the water line for my washer and filled it up with FW to the top and it now sits perfect once full!

Tomorrow is going to be a great day, i'm getting excited! My Typhoon 5 RO/DI unit will be in tomorrow, so when i go pick it up i'll grab my live sand and put that in my tank and then begin filling it up! Once its full i'll start the aquascaping! Pictures will be posted in the morning!

Well, bad news, my LFS's ro units are runnin a day behind. The Typhoon 5 should be here tomorrow, so i went ahead and had him add a couple 40 pound bags of Caribsea Ocean Direct Live Sand, the original grade substrate, to his order from Oklahoma City that'll be here with my RO unit tomorrow. So in the mean time, I cleaned the inside of the tank out. It still had tons of left over detritus and dirt from the old substrate in the tank(the old owner didn't even have it completely empty when the movers and i showed up to get it, i wasn't amused lol). Of course as i'm cleaning the tank, mom and my youngest had to come downstairs and check out what I was doing. Mama started taking pictures as Ethan climbed on the chair and started yelling "Daddy out!" So i had to get out, and when I did he wanted in, so in he went and then so did my oldest, Kaden. After they horsed around in the tank making faces in the glass toward their reflections, and mom and I snapped a ton of photos which you see here I pulled them out to continue working.

I filled the tank for a leak test to make sure nothin got knocked loose by the movers, and it went perfectly. Filled it almost to the top and then had fun making trips with a 44 gallon brute to the bathroom to drain the tank lol, man that takes forever, next purchase will be a long enough tube to run straight to the drain! I still need to post some pictures of my rock and I've got the plumbing hooked up too which I'll need help with, I've never used a wet/dry unit before and I don't wanna end up with a flooded basement! In the meantime, new photos.

Cleanin it out!
102_1365.jpg

Daddy get out!
102_1362.jpg

Daddy you're not out yet! So I'll clean the outside!
102_1371.jpg

My turn!
102_1376.jpg

My tank came with Sea Monkeys!
102_1385.jpg

102_1388.jpg

Fillin her up!
102_1399.jpg

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Looks like a fun project and a good buy! Looking forward to its growth and development.

Got my RO/DI unit yesterday! Here's some pictures of it and my other pickups and my rock that's waiting for the tank to get filled! The more colored rock is at the bottom of the brutes as it was on top of the aquascape when removed from the tank.

Had a little miscommunication with my buddy at the LFS who ordered it from airwaterice.com, and he forgot to order the garden hose attachment for me. Anyone who also has this unit and has used the garden hose attachment, can you give me pictures and instructions along with what parts to buy to hook it up and get it running please, the help would be greatly appreciated. I'd call the LFS but its closed today cause he had somewhere to be. Thanks for all the help and the views of my chronicle, i'm getting excited but staying patient. I hope to have the tank filled by a week from today, after filling and testing multiple times for a constant salinity i'll add the live sand and once settled i'll add the rock. I'm guessing aquascaping will take at least 3 days to find somethin i like lol! Anyway thanks again for the help, hope to hear from you all soon.

102_1403.jpg

102_1404.jpg

102_1405.jpg

102_1406.jpg

102_1407.jpg

102_1408.jpg

102_1409.jpg

102_1410.jpg

blue_eyes53813

WOW Andrew , How exciting... Keep the pictures coming... Your boys are adorable and I bet will be future reefers... lol

Well guys, just got home from work a bit ago. Gonna run the RO/DI for a bit and test the water and hopefully by afternoon it'll be time to start filling the tank! I've read a few posts here and there that most Typhoon's, depending on your water pressure, will produce a gallon every 20 minutes. Gonna be a long two and a half days lol, but well worth it!

Alright guys, been a long last couple days, been working alot. Tank's full and salt's mixed! Sittin at 1.023, used Seachem marine salt for the initial fill. Now i'm just having a hell of a time gettin water to siphon thru the U tubes on the HOB overflow box. I've got a 16" piece of 1/4 air tube, I'm inserting it thru the external side of the U tube to the water inside the internal side of the box then tryin to pull the water thru the air line to start the siphon and then yank the tube out...am i doing this wrong. This is what the LFS told me and the only posts on here I can find told me the same thing. At this point I'm so frustrated I'm half tempted to order the self siphoning HOB overflow box from CPR on Marinedepot! PLEASE HELP! Thanks guys, more pics to come tonight once I get this monster a workin!

Never mind got it runnin! Air tube had a hole in it! Used an extra tube I had and she's runnin now! Will be adding live rock and substrate in the morning possibly, most likely tomorrow afternoon.

rmlevasseur

Although I love the outward appearance of your stand, I would consider bracing it up a bit. That is about the heaviest tank I have ever seen on a stand like that.

Also, although I'm probably too late with my suggestion I'd fill it with plain old tap and check all plumbing before going all RO.

Another suggestion is that you line the bottom with eggcrate, place your rock, and then add your substrate. I did this and am very glad I did. The rock is much more solid that way.

Hey Robert, thanks for the input and I actually was right their with you on everything except for running tap thru the plumbing lol. But I did fill the tank with tap to check for leaks. I did add two two by sixes about 18" in from the end to help with support especially after i ended up weighing all the rock the former owner had in it(over 360 lbs!), wife had the camera so i couldn't get pics. The old owner had all that rock in for two years on the stand as it was in the first picture and i had my neighbor who's a carpenter take a look at the stand(he's also going to build me a new stand in the spring for my b-day). I'm hoping that since all that rock was in for over 2 years and now that i'm going to use less rock, made sure it was level, and added two 2x6 braces that she'll be very sturdy, at least for 6 months :yup:. I am using eggcrate, went with the white eggcrate from home depot, and actually added almost all my rock, mainly just the bottom big base pieces, then added the 80 lbs of sand like you said tonight. Its a dust storm but its clearing up quicker than I thought. Can't wait to post pictures tomorrow!