Chris & Sarahs' 250

fruit bat

Hi all,
Sorry but I haven't posted for a while, so heres an update on the tanks progress.
The Blue Nudibranchs disappeared after a couple of days (as expected) So i couldnt get them to Anthony, (Lesson Learned)
We have been using Red Sea NO3-PO4 X since the start of the year, adding 2ml each evening, the Nitrates are down from 32ppm to 4ppm and Phosphates barely detectable, everything seem to have taken to the reduction in nitrates quite well, although we seem to have lost a peppermint shrimp and a Fire shrimp in the last two weeks. I am sure this is a coincidence as our Starfish and Clam are fine and they tend to be the most sensitive to water chemistry fluctuations.
We have added a few new corals and moved a couple to make space, the Xenia colony was getting rather large so i fragged some a sold it to our LFS, they will be getting some more quite soon. (i am getting over £10 per frag which i am quite happy with)
New Livestock includes a lovely Mandarin Goby which i have wanted for a while but needed to be sure of a sustainable Copepod colony.
Not a lot else happening other than the 15-20% water change each week and regular cleaning (boy it's amazing how gunked up the skimmer pump can get, you sure notice the difference when it has been cleaned.)

Anyway, heres some pictures ( I know how we all like pictures)

Full tank Shot 16-05-2011
DSCF0001.jpg

Duncans
DSCF0008.jpg

Blue Gorgonian (A beautifull specimen)
DSCF0007.jpg

Candy Cane with Zoas? hitchhiking
DSCF0015.jpg

Shy Mandarin
DSCF0025.jpg

fruit bat

Hi Glenn,
The Gorgonian has been with us now for around 6 weeks. Is gets moderate (Indirect) flow and plenty of light and seems to be very happy extending its polyps every day. We had one once before but it didn't survive too log, this one seem much more settled (Keeping fingers crossed)
Cheers, Chris

fruit bat

Sorry I've not been on the site for a while, just been enjoying summer outside with the Koi pond. Now it's turning cooler I'm spending more time with the tank and will post some updated pictures soon. The Blue Gorgonian has receeded and isn't looking too happy, other than that everything is good. The Monti Caps have gone mad and I have fragged them several times taking bits to the LFS for trade back.
I will post pictures soon

fruit bat

Hi everyone, I'm back. Had a bad last twelve months with physical injury and worst of all a total crash of the tank. Whilst I was laid up for a while in the spring I had an extra pump fitted and a small copper fitting was used which slowly killed everything except the fish. I have had to completely empty and clean the tank and replace all the substrate and live rock. The tank has been up and running for a week now and hopefully it will settle down nicely. Will post pictures soon.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Welcome back Chris !!! Good to hear you are healing up & the tank is on the way back !

You not the 1st one to use a cooper fitting & crash a tank, I have read a few similar post - another good warning for everyone.

fruit bat

Welcome back Chris !!! Good to hear you are healing up & the tank is on the way back !

You not the 1st one to use a cooper fitting & crash a tank, I have read a few similar post - another good warning for everyone.
The most annoying thing was not knowing what the problem was and watching your corals and inverts slowing dieing.

Fshlvr

Wow, one of my worst fears as a newbie is a tank crash! This might be a too simple question, but what's a copper fitting? Is it simply using fittings for pumps made out of copper?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
This might be a too simple question, but what's a copper fitting? Is it simply using fittings for pumps made out of copper?

Jose - YES - in a reef tank... any cooper use anywhere is a huge NO NO ... will kill all your corals and inverts, even the smallest fitting anywhere...

fruit bat

yeah, the copper fitting in question was simply a 22mm elbow. it cost around 25 UK pence and caused around £1000 UK pound damage. A pretty expensive lesson !!!

here are a few shots of the tank today, we are begining to re stock, might just go and get somemore corals tommorow :)

DSC01538_zps51fd6111.jpg

DSC01514_zps540a8953.jpg

DSC01533_zpsb722a1e9.jpg

DSC01532_zps5bd2fd34.jpg

DSC01521_zps810f0d58.jpg

DSC01519_zps2536ca8f.jpg

DSC01531_zpscc346f72.jpg

Tokalosh

Sorry to hear about you crash Chris, I know what its like to start over.

Good to know you have stuck it out and are getting things back on track.
That Blue Cheek Gobi is really cute but I must warn you that they do love to spread sand everywhere.

Is that green coralline algae on the back wall?

Tok