Choff's RSM 650 Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolffman64

Thanks Tim. Maintenance is a dream now. My first version of my fish room that was not the case. I could not have designed it worse, but I learned and when I did the redesign that was the primary goal.

Even without the genesis, WC take me 15 min, but I like the idea of smaller frequent WC for stability.

The 2 things that have made my life the easiest though is the skimmer neck cleaner and the drain extension with auto shutoff. Just emptying the skimmer on the stock RSM was my most hated hated chore, not to mention cleaning it. Now I do it monthly and even when I do it's a snap.

So my basic maintenance routine right now is daily feeding, change 2 filter socks every 3 to 5 days, mix up 60g of SW every 10 to 14 days and clean skimmer once a month.

Short of paying someone, I don't think it can get any easier.

...stupid auto correct

You have an awesome setup mate!
I tried to have an initial "talk" to my wife about moving the sump to my garage a while ago, but as soon as I mentioned drilling and pipes through the wall, that discussion was over....

Choff

Hey wolf, thanks man. I appreciate that.

Holes in walls are cake to fix. I could see if you were drilling through hardwood floors like me, but walls shouldn't be an issue unless it's brick. You should start by explaining that. The other main selling point is that all your WC and 90 pct of your water work will now be in the garage and not spilling water in the DT room. Drop a 5 gal bucket of water then have the conversation. :)

Edit: Hrm web site won't let me use droid emoticons. I was trying to put a devil smiley and it's not showing up. Had to use the colon paren to get the one you see now.

...stupid auto correct

Wolffman64

Hey wolf, thanks man. I appreciate that.

Holes in walls are cake to fix. I could see if you were drilling through hardwood floors like me, but walls shouldn't be an issue unless it's brick. You should start by explaining that. The other main selling point is that all your WC and 90 pct of your water work will now be in the garage and not spilling water in the DT room. Drop a 5 gal bucket of water then have the conversation. :)

Edit: Hrm web site won't let me use droid emoticons. I was trying to put a devil smiley and it's not showing up. Had to use the colon paren to get the one you see now.

...stupid auto correct

Hahaha, believe me, I have already had enough water on the hardwood floor!

The problem is just that, all our walls, external and internal, are all brick and concrete. I have never had such solid walls in a house I've owned before. When I was putting up some wardrobe fittings in my wife's walk-in, it took me 3 hours and 4 drillbits before I had drilled 16 holes in the internal wall :banghead: I had to swap my hammer drill, to a rotary hammer drill and monster drillbits before next DIY task.

I'm glad the new house is solidly built, but I've now swapped to glue and double sided tape for things that goes up on the walls....

Choff

Ahhhh then totally makes sense then. I can see her point and I myself would be inclined to leave it be.

...stupid auto correct

Choff

I went to 2 fish stores yesterday with the itch to buy something. Walked in the door empty handed. My wife didn't believe me and asked where I really was. True story.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Choff

So after 4 months I got my first harvest from my unfollow scrubber.

What I learned is that I initially got slime algae and this prevented the desired algae to grow. I was rinsing the slime out, but it still coated the majority of the surface. I finally googled to what was going on and found out I needed to do a deep clean and scrub it all off. I did and 2 weeks later it is now working as expected.

Mrsalt

PREMIUM
Excellent way to go. Must feel good just picking those phosphate and nitrate right out the tank and binning it? You know for sure that's them outta there.

Choff

Interesting way to look at it. All I saw was 4 months and 500 bucks for a wad of electric green weed lol

...stupid auto correct

Choff

Thanks Greg...I cannot begin to tell you how pleased I am with it!

Mega 50 Picture update! Broke out the good camera and tripod.

Lets start out with some Zoos and Rics:

Choff

Here are some sticks. I left out all my blue ones. The blue light must wash them out in the pictures. They all looked white and pale...which they are not, thank you very much. :)

Here is an example. This is blueberry crumble

Status
Not open for further replies.