Choff's RSM 650 Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choff

Thanks all! Loving my tank right now. It's been a loooong time since I could say that. Easily 9 months ago right about the time the cfl broke in my sump and then shortly after that I wiped out my knee. Now both are back in good shape.

Hey, I finally upgraded my apex to fusion. Not sure why I waited. It was a piece of cake. Took me 30 min and now I can control my radion. I thought it was going to reset everything. It didn't. Nothing changes, you just now have a web interface in addition to everything else.

...stupid auto correct

Nob35

Nice, I now have 3 nems they keep splitting when they get to a certain size. Hope yours decides to stay out front where you can see it, 2 of mine went to the back side of my rocks after splitting. Only the original stayed out front. I'm still waiting on vidarock to send pictures hope they come soon, it's been almost 6 weeks since starting.

LakeLivin

Cool, I have been considering a nice bubble tip for a while now but just have not pulled the trigger. Probably will eventually get one and just hope it finds a nice home and stays put.

Choff

Thanks, I think I want to get one that grows larger for the left side of my tank. Now that I have a DSB I have more options.

It's hard waiting on the vidarock, but worth it. I did pretty good until they sent the pictures. Then the wait became painful. I think it was delivered 3 weeks from when they sent picts.

...stupid auto correct

Nob35

Good to know that the waiting is not over after I get pics. Don't count on a nem staying on the side of the tank that you want. Mine split then the new ones travel all over along the back wall until the find a place they are happy with. I go in every now and then and move the rock that they are on so I can see them then they go on the move again to find another hiding place. My Nem's have done very well, they get to about the size of a softball then split. I have one that is about that large right now so think I will have a fourth one soon. Hope they keep this up, once I have 8 or so I may start making enough to pay for everything else for the tank.

Choff

He shifted around into a perfect spot after hiding in the back of the tank the first night. It's been 4 days and he had not budged. Hoping that's home.

The toughest wait on the rock was after I paid it still took them a week to ship it. All I can say is I have grumbled about my rock for 2 years and right now I'm totally in love with tank again because of it. Now I just have 400 pounds of rock I need to unload.

So I ordered these guys on Friday.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversde...ref=4282&subref=AI&cmpid=E-_-TR-_-DDN-_-PRDCT

Along with some other goodies from DD.

I built one of those BRS screen door tops. I was against those for some reason, but I was wrong. The wide squares are great.

I'm also putting an order in with inland aquatics for some macros and a pod starter kit. My 40b Fuge has been sitting empty to long so it's going to be a macro /pod farm until I come with another idea.

I'm finally starting to tick things off my todo list again. One if these days I'll actually get that calc reactor running. Nice to have some time to work on the tank!

...stupid auto correct

Nob35

That's great, have your clowns found it yet? It took mine forever and they do not stay with my nems all the time but it seems they are starting to stay with them more now. I found out by accident that mine like the new era marine pellets and now that is all I feed them. It's a lot easier then keeping fresh or frozen for them.
I buy pods from reefs2go when they have them on sale if you watch every week or 2 they put the buy 1000 get 1000 free down to $20. I have put 4000 in my tank since starting and the last to go in was over 6 months ago and I still have a good population. I bought a mandarin at the same time and is doing well with 4 wrasses the compete against. When I buy 2000 I put 1500 in the refugium and the rest in the DT.

Choff

Big fan of the pellets too. I do a good size feed with Larry's every other day and toss a small amount of pellets in one or twice a day for the anthias.

Reefs2go just had a bogo deal that I jumped on. I'm also getting the refugium starter kit from inland aquatics. They sell stomatellas too so I got a bunch of those and some macros. Delivery is Thursday.

...stupid auto correct

Choff

Had an odd ph failure. It's not the impeller, but the impeller no longer fits smoothly into the chamber. It's a tight fit like the chamber shrunk. There is no obvious bump. Anyone ever seen this? The same impeller worked in all the other powerheads and I tried all 4 impellers in this chamber. Same result. It's def the chamber.

Anyone replace one of the rear chamber powerheads with anything other than the RS ones? My warranty is up so no free replacement. Curious if there are other options that will fit in with the existing design.

...stupid auto correct

StirCrayzy

I don't know squat about RSMs but I've had a sealed motor swell and seize the impeller. Very hot casing, so I figured an internal short, and chucked it.

Choff

Bunch of orders the past could of days.

Divers den - trio of Ora gold assessors, Ora designer clowns, Miami vice ZOA's, rusty mille, bottlebrush acro and green planet acro.

JJ - hammer, mille, 2x acros, colony of Ric's, candy cane and aloha eye ZOA's.

Inland aquatics - chaeto, Fuge starter kit of pods, mini stars, stomatellas and nassarious snails.

And the kicker. Reef genesis WC system.

...stupid auto correct

Naj117

Bunch of orders the past could of days.

Divers den - trio of Ora gold assessors, Ora designer clowns, Miami vice ZOA's, rusty mille, bottlebrush acro and green planet acro.

JJ - hammer, mille, 2x acros, colony of Ric's, candy cane and aloha eye ZOA's.

Inland aquatics - chaeto, Fuge starter kit of pods, mini stars, stomatellas and nassarious snails.

And the kicker. Reef genesis WC system.

...stupid auto correct

What's the reef genesis wc system mate?

Choff

In a normal set up it wouldn't fly, but with my sump in the basement it will be awesome.

I installed it all this morning in under an hour, but there was a snag. I planned on mounting the drain unit above my existing old water line and it would simply gravity feed to the back yard. What I forgot was there is a small bricks l vertical rise before the water heads to the back of the house. This was all obscured by boxes so I forgot.

So now I have to rig up a sump pump to push the water out vs gravity drain.

...stupid auto correct

LakeLivin

Sounds like you have the new setup well on it's way. I'm jealous of your basement sump... Must make maintenance super easy and quick. My sump is a mess and could use a total tear down and cleaning but with all the wires, hoses and equipment it will be a major undertaking in the tight spaces. Consequently, I have been procrastinating getting it done. I'm considering hiring a LFS tech to come out for a few hours just to have some "experienced" labor to cut down on the time the tank is down.

Choff

Thanks Tim. Maintenance is a dream now. My first version of my fish room that was not the case. I could not have designed it worse, but I learned and when I did the redesign that was the primary goal.

Even without the genesis, WC take me 15 min, but I like the idea of smaller frequent WC for stability.

The 2 things that have made my life the easiest though is the skimmer neck cleaner and the drain extension with auto shutoff. Just emptying the skimmer on the stock RSM was my most hated hated chore, not to mention cleaning it. Now I do it monthly and even when I do it's a snap.

So my basic maintenance routine right now is daily feeding, change 2 filter socks every 3 to 5 days, mix up 60g of SW every 10 to 14 days and clean skimmer once a month.

Short of paying someone, I don't think it can get any easier.

...stupid auto correct

Status
Not open for further replies.