Choff's Modified RSM650 Reef Chronicle

Choff

i am considering taking out the center channel and adding kessills there. what do you think?

I think it's an ok setup. You need to run 4 kessils because they are so close to the water there is very little spread. I also ran only the outside pair of t5s to keep the heat away from the kessils as they tend to overheat tucked into that slot. Ideally, you would be better off running the interior pair of t5s on either side of the kessils if you can manage the heat better. You can't use kessils for moonlights, so if you want them you will need to buy something else. The 360s are just too bright, my fish never tucked in and went to sleep when I tried to use them.

As for results, the majority of my growth was a narrow band down the center of my tank directly under the kessils. Again, I think spread is the issue. I think kessils are great LEDs , love the shimmer and can certainly grow corals. I don't think they are well utilized dropped into the center of the RSM hood. It's also not the most elegant looking solution.

That said, I have the ATI hybrid power module coming tomorrow. I looked at many many combinations of led/t5. I was debating about buying 2 4 bulb ATI sun powers and running those on either side of my kessils at proper height, but just ended up pulling the trigger on the ATI unit. I went 48" and will experiment with running a Kessil on each end if for nothing else, shimmer.

Forgot to mention, most of kessils are failing on me. I have to have my apex turn them off every hour for 30 seconds to restart them as they are intermittently turning themselves off. It's happening more and more. They are going on 3 years.