chinese 120watt leds

ted29gal

Has any one ever use the aquamana aq blue n white ? Ihave one but cant find any info like par readings it over a mixed reef n seems to be agood light any info would be awsome

DaveK

I couldn't find any information on it either.

I will say that the price is sure right, but I see a couple of red flags here.

It's sold only by a single seller on Amazon and a few on Ebay, and not carried by the usual online aquarium vendors.

The price seems too good to be true. $125 for the Aquamania verses $599 for an AI Hydra 52 or $649 for an EcoTech Radion. In other words, about 1/4 the price for a similar fixture? This tells me major corners were cut someplace.

If you have an issue with it who would you contact for replacement parts? Although, I would admit that for the price, you could consider it a throw away item, if it fails.

If you are going to go for this lighting, and would normally get more than a single fixture, get one to start with and see how it works out, before you get the others. Consider how it mounts, and how well it looks, in addition to how good the light is.

reefer gladness

The LED fixtures with only blue and white LED's are generally considered to be outdated. Based on what we know now the original configuration of cool white/royal blue LED's produced high PAR values in the most important part of the spectrum but did not fill out the rest of the spectrum adequately.

Newer generations of LED units are still struggling with this issue. We have more colors of LED's to choose from for filling out the spectrum but getting even coverage over the tank with 2 cyan LED's for example is the challenge.

In any event, I think a better comparison would be from the Aquamana AQ to a unit from another budget fixture like Reef Radiance. http://reefradiance.com/dm-132e.html

Check the negative reviews on the budget fixtures (including Aquamana) and you'll find the most common complaints are noisy fans and burned-out LED drivers. The RR unit only costs a few bucks more in comparison to the Aquamana at $169 right now and includes a 2-year warranty backed by a US company.

sirrealism

As i agree with all of the post made. I have to ask What do you plan on keeping under them? If its softies and some easy LPS then these are no big deal. I know the blue and white are out dated. But I do want to say that I have 2 old style no optics non dimmable ones of my 90g. For some reason that I dont know I seem to be able to grow most anything in that tank. I agree that colors are missing but I grow everything even some low to mid SPS. Why? I dont know but it works and has been working for 4+ years. Sorry for the crappy phone pics and the dirty glass but this is the tank

sirrealism

Would I put my prized acros in there no. But there is a good size green digi. 4 different caps that i have to cut back all the time. several chalices and brain corals. on the left there are a bunch of LPS on the bottom. Would I suggest this for anyone else NO but for some reason it works. I will say Zoas dont do well in this tank

GregT

As an alternative I researched and then purchased these chinese lights from Aliexpress and there's good reviews on the forums.
MarsAqua Dimmable 300W Aquarium LED Lighting Full Spectrum LED 3W Chip For Coral Reef LPS/SPS. Very please with the results and price.