Chicagoland Reefers

Michiana

So far, it looks like I'm the lone Hoosier to check in.......

Best place I've found for corals so far is Midwest Corals in Osceola, Indiana....

Count me in if you get a group thing going :)

goldenmean

Hello La Porte, Indiana.
I used to live in New Buffalo Michigan about 14 years ago
before I got into salt water.

Glad you said hello

goldenmean

Hey Andy
Did you visit Reef Plus or Deep Reef Aquatics yesterday?
Tell us about them starting with where they are at?

olivert00

I am selling my 135g Oceanic Tank w/stand, hood was DIY not the best but worked well. Not RR, I will give a dual overflow box and two ribbed hoses to the buyer.
No sump. Am willing to drive up to 30 miles for delivery...FREE. :whstlr:

Asking 250.00 for all listed above. :contract:

FYI...Sharkys is selling a oceanic sump on their site: under used items...it's cheap. :wit:

My gallery has a up close pic when full, but not a pic of full tank with stand and hood. 10/05 in gallery. Will post new pics. :wave:

No water in it at this time but does have sand I need to remove and clean the glass. :)

Some scratches on front, but not noticed when full. :bugout:

PM if inerested and any questions

Thank you

Debbie

Cassette87

Hey Andy
Did you visit Reef Plus or Deep Reef Aquatics yesterday?
Tell us about them starting with where they are at?

Actually, I didn't go to those two stores. I looked up ReefPlus online, and It looked really small, and then I tried calling Deep Reef Aquatics, and it said the number was disconnected. so, instead, I went to Schaumberg and visited Advanced Aquatics and Beyond the reef. Beyond the reef was a beautiful store! not as nice as Living Sea, but definitely nice. Everything looked healthy, although I did notice some bubble algae on a lot of their LR. Their prices were fairly high. LR was 9.99 a LB, but i guess when your in Schaumberg... you can charge that. Anyhow, they did have some nice little $19 frags, so I picked up a small 50-75 polyp colony of these guys pictured below. BEAUTIFUL Zoas. Haven't fully opened in my display yet, but I'll take a pic when they do. the ones that were peeking out in the actinic showed off how beautifully they will glow. all in all it was a clean, nice store, slightly high on prices, but nice selection, and very friendly staff, who, when he noticed i was interested in the zoa morphs offered to take my number and said when he frags some of his at home he'll call me. Very nice!

Advance aquatics:
Can't speak much for them. They had a lot of stuff, but it was mostly picking over odds and ends. They did have a couple nice frag tanks, but the prices were slightly nuts, and the guy working there honestly was a jerk. I wanted to buy a rock with some eagle eye zoa's, his answer " cant sell you that, i can only sell frags of it, and we don't have any more" he wanted to sell me then for 4-5 dollars a polyp. despite "all corals for sale, buy two or more 20% off" written everywhere. they had orange rics for $24 each, but all of them were pale. The one that looked nice, was smaller than a dime and not attached to anything, so i asked about it, and he couldn't have been more stubborn. Despite their website saying ric polyps $10. Which apparently is drop shipped from someplace when you order. needless to say, i didn't spend any money there, no matter how badly i want an orange ric.

Both stores are located in Shaumberg, one on 879 Roselle Rd. (Advanced aquatics) in the plaza with taco bell, and the other 205 golf st. (beyond the reef) also near a taco bell.

I without question liked beyond the reef better. Customer Service can easily make or break a deal for me. I forgot to mention, that i was the only one in advanced aquatics, and the guy was still a jerk to me.
These are the zoa's i got: ' Radioactive Dragon Eye ' Morph
main.php

olivert00

In early July I will possibly have 3 Coralvue 250w MH's DE Pendants w/Ballasts for sale. They are about 1 1/2 yrs old, no rust, and in very good condition.
I am asking 220.00 each. This includes Reeflux 10k bulb just purchased March of this year and less than 5 hrs a day on each.
Thank you

Debbie

lcstorc

Great idea. Now you can start your own club. Lots of people responded to the Chicago call out so you should have a great group.

cioutlaw

Not trying to discourage anyone starting thier own club but the CMAS club in the Chicago area is HUGE & have really cool events. Had a back stage pass at Shedd this spring & invited our club to go along.

Cassette87

Not trying to discourage anyone starting thier own club but the CMAS club in the Chicago area is HUGE & have really cool events. Had a back stage pass at Shedd this spring & invited our club to go along.

I know, I'm not trying to replace any club or compete with any club. I just want a place for us RS chicago folks to be able to talk and set up things between us, and maybe coordinate participation in some CMAS stuff... not trying to compete at all :)

goldenmean

The web site is a great idea Andy!

I'm not much of a club joining guy.
I prefer a little less group organization

kimoy

fror those chicagolan reefers that are going to fragapalooza, there is a great sale going on at aquaticf reef(my favorite LFS) that weekend. you should check it out. i got the inside scoop on the corals they ordered just for that sale. they are amazing pieces. here an email i got from them:

AQUATIC REEF

MIDNIGHT MADNESS SUMMER SALE

WHEN: JULY 27, 2007 (FRIDAY)

TIME: 8pm until MIDNIGHT

DIFFERENT SALE EVERY HOUR

Don't miss our "MIDNIGHT MADNESS SUMMER SALE"

HUGE SAVINGS ON FISH AND CORALS AS WELL AS DRYGOODS

corals will be marked up to 75% OFF!!!
more FREE STUFF!!!
live rocks special
ultimate frags special
hand picked corals

AND MUCH MORE....

THERE WILL BE MORE ANNOUNCEMENTS TO COME.

STAY TUNED!!!!!

their adress is:
737 south 8th st(RT 31)
westr dundee,IL 60118
847-4265003

goldenmean

Whats going on Chicagoland Reefers!

Do check out the Chicago Reef Enthusiasts group on Reef Space.
We could use some more members.
So if you haven't joined Reef Space yet. There is another reason!

olivert00

FS Canon 20D 2 canon lenses: 18-55, macro 100mm 2.8, 2 batteries, 1gig memory stick and canon case. All for $1100.00

In excellent condition, only 1 1/2 yrs old.

Bought a Nikon so need to sell.

Thanks
Debbie

WickedDuc

This is neat, goldenmean suggested I come over here and say hi. I am in the southwest sub of Aurora (which for the 2nd largest city has a horrible lack of LFS's). Olivert00, I grew up in Lake Zurich, lived on Pine Tree Row if you know it, great town. Well as I mentioned in the "First Post" section I currently have 2 tanks, a 55G F/W, a 24G nano reef and will soon be adding a 90G reef tank (birthday present for my girlfriend) in August.