Chicagoland Reefers

Abby

Hi, I am new to forums, so bear with me please! I am looking for reef/marine stores in the northwest suburbs. I believe I had heard of Living Sea - is that in Bensenville or Lincolnshire? I remember hearing about a really big marine store in Bensenville but can't remember the name or find it online. I also remember a shop from years ago in Round Lake or Round Lake Beach (I remember that they had a tank of salt water guppies they had created for feeder fish for the marine tanks).

Could some of you reply with towns of the stores you are mentioning? Right now we are shopping at Exotic Aquatics in Algonquin/Lake in the Hills, Birds & Beasts in Crystal Lake, and Corbins Exotic Pets in Marengo. I did drive by Aquatic Reef today, but they weren't open yet.

Thanks!

We have a 45gal reef setup but I truly don't know any particulars as it's my boyfriend's tank. A wave maker just arrived today and he does have a refugeum (sp) on the back.

We have coral, mushrooms, hermit crabs, emerald crabs, snails (one olive), clown fish, anenome, a red shrimp, a green chromis, white-ish damsel, and black urchin.

rpawluk

Living Sea is in Park Ridge on Devon by Cumberland. Ocean Design is in chicago by Irving Park and Narraghansette (sp). Lake in the Hills has Ocean Floor.

kimoy

Hi, I am new to forums, so bear with me please! I am looking for reef/marine stores in the northwest suburbs. I believe I had heard of Living Sea - is that in Bensenville or Lincolnshire? I remember hearing about a really big marine store in Bensenville but can't remember the name or find it online. I also remember a shop from years ago in Round Lake or Round Lake Beach (I remember that they had a tank of salt water guppies they had created for feeder fish for the marine tanks).

Could some of you reply with towns of the stores you are mentioning? Right now we are shopping at Exotic Aquatics in Algonquin/Lake in the Hills, Birds & Beasts in Crystal Lake, and Corbins Exotic Pets in Marengo. I did drive by Aquatic Reef today, but they weren't open yet.

Thanks!

We have a 45gal reef setup but I truly don't know any particulars as it's my boyfriend's tank. A wave maker just arrived today and he does have a refugeum (sp) on the back.

We have coral, mushrooms, hermit crabs, emerald crabs, snails (one olive), clown fish, anenome, a red shrimp, a green chromis, white-ish damsel, and black urchin.

aquatic reef opens form 1-8 m-f 11-6 on weekends. in mundelein there is shotank. and a lot more. there was a thread about all the stores in the chicagoland being put on a map for everyone to look at but i can't seem to find it. i will post it here when i find it.

olivert00

Welcome to RS!
I am in Lake Zurich I shop and work at Sharkys Reef in Grayslake on Rt 120, also Sho Tank in Mundelein on Rt 45.
Hope this helps alittle.
Debbie

Abby

Thank you for the fast and friendly replies! I checked out Ocean's Floor website - wow! Definitely a place to visit. I am hoping to tell my boyfriend out the Chicagoland Reefers - hopefullly he'll join. I had a marine tank about 12 years ago but sold it - so right now he's the resident expert.

Thank you again for the information and warm welcome!

Abby

Cassette87

Hey abby! great to have another CRE! i'm goin to try to get a couple of things together for those of us that are interested, as time permits, so keep posted!

Johnike

Hey everyone! Greetings from Bureau County Illinois.I grew up in Alsip and live in the middle of NOWHERE now.Help! Send frags and supplies quickly! John

goldenmean

Hello, Hello,
It is great we Chicagoland Reefers have our own thread to keep in touch.
There really is a lot of Reefin going on around here!

cioutlaw

Taste of Chicago would be great if it were not for the huge crowd. The 4th of July Fireworks are great though.

goldenmean

During the summer there are fireworks every Wednesday and Saturday nights off the end of navy pier. They are pretty good too.
The big City of Chicago fireworks display is always on July 3 while many of the burbs have fireworks on the 4th.

Cassette87

quick notice: I created a group on reefspace for us! feel free to join if you live in/around chicago and are interested!

Cassette87

Andy one here been to Reef Plus or Deep Reef Aquatics? I'm probably going to be visiting both today with a couple of friends, and just wanted to see if they are worth the time... Thanks!