Chicagoland Reefers

goldenmean

I have been chatting with a few Chicagoland reefers recently and I thought a tread would help us keep in contact and share info.
Thanks for the idea Cassette87.

We can talk about our tanks, LFS, frag trading, no-shipping coral/equipment sales, etc.

Chicagoland can be Chicago, the Burbs, Northern Illinois, Southern Wisconsin, Northern Indiana, and even Southwestern Michigan.

Cassette87

Just like goldenmean said! hopefully this thread will provide us with a new wealth of friends and resources alike! And thank you goldenmean for starting the thread :)

Looking forward to meeting other Chicago reef keepers!

-Andy, Palos Park, IL SouthWest Suburbs

goldenmean

I live on the Northside of the city in the Andersonville Neighborhood.
I'm about a mile north of Wrigley field
I have a 12g nano that has been up for about a year and a half.
I am currently putting together a 55g tank too.
My LFS is Old Town Aquarium. They can be a bit pricey but considering where they are located you would expect that. That is where I bought my custom built nano. They have a couple of employees that really know SW and reefs. The prices helped me from adding too much livestock too quickly. I visit Old Orchard Aquarium and Aquatic World-now on Belmont Ave. too. I also have gone to Sharkeysreef.com store front whick I know I will be visiting more when I get the new tank up!

Jeff

dobejazz

:wave: Hey Guys

Far North Suburbs here in Fox Lake.

I currently have 3 reefs set up and do my shopping at Oceans Floor and Sharkeys for the most part and occasionally get to Shotank in Mundelein.

cioutlaw

Im from Champaign but I am in Chicago area every couple months. Sharkeys is great. Lots of other good LFS in Chicago area as well. I go by Capture the Sea in Tinley Pk. on occasion, small but has a good selection & prices

Cassette87

My favorite LFS is GO fish, which is the same place as the reptile house and bird house, behind orland mall... great quality stuff... just some pests to deal with once in a while. anyway, it's great to see you guys chiming in!

rpawluk

Chicago area not to far from wrigley... i usually shop at Ocean Design Aquarium because the owner Tony is extremely knowledgeable and know him. Try to stay away from Living sea aquarium because i feel that they're extremely overpriced. We should get a swap going sometime.

kimoy

western burbs here. i got 95% of my stuff from aquatic reef in west dundee. they have a good selection of corals and healthy. not to mention that they feed their corals and fish everyday. i know this because i am there almost everyday on my lunch break(works a mile away from the store) :)

olivert00

This is great! NW Sub here Lake Zurich, IL...oh boy Sharkys top of the list for me seeing as I help Dennis and Anita at the store when possible, Matt at Sho Tank, Sea Shore, Ocean Design once in awhile.
Maybe we can get together for Meet our Tanks?
This will be great for trade, sale and I am always finding stuff to give away.

Thank you
Debbie

kimoy

Just an FYI. i recieved this email from my favorite LFS....

AQUATIC REEF

FATHER'S DAY

SPECIAL

THIS WEEKEND ONLY

JUNE 15TH, 16TH, & 17TH.

FISH & CORALS

BUY 2 GET 1 FREE!!!

ALL ANEMONES
20% OFF
ALL CRUSH CORALS
LIVE SAND

10% OFF

"FRAG PACK SPECIAL!"
10 FRAGS FOR $100.00
GET 2 FREE!!
BETWEEN 3/4" - 1"
ALL SEACHEM 10% OFF
5 GALLON CONTAINERS
$11.99 PLUS
GET FREE R/O FRESH INCL.

bnutz24

Just wanted to say hi and hope to hear ffrom you all soon I live in park Forest about 25mins south of chicago. I have been bit by the SW bug for about two months now and it is just starting to get fun hope to find some good friends and learn some intresting thing so in closing.....

Hello all chicago reefers

Cassette87

So who here is interested in trading and or meeting once in a while? obviously we could develop ideas as to what to do prior to meeting but i'm just trying to gauge whether or not there would be an interest in something like this