Check out my New Golden Angel!

michael_cb_125

I do see an issue with what you are feeding. These little angels have very small mouths. PE mysis IME is too large for most pygmy angels. If you can chop the mysis into a shaved form. I have had much better luck with the Hikari mysis when feeding angels.

~Michael

SeahorseBT

I have hikari too, I'll try some of that. Thanks Michael, I never would have thought about that. Also where would I find those clams you were talking about?

michael_cb_125

You can find them at most grocery stores in the seafood section. Be sure that you smell them before you buy. If the shells are open and then have a rancid smell, dont get them. You want the clams to still be fresh and alive.

Luckily for me, I have a house at the beach, and I have access to the freshest clams and mussels available. :)

But you should not have any trouble finding some, they typically come is a mesh bag.

Good Luck and keep us posted. I love seeing people take a risk and put an angel in a reef tank...... that is where they belong ;)
~Michael

mbdave

Found this here....Golden Angelfish, Golden Pygmy Angelfish, Velvet Dwarf Angel, Aurinatus Angelfish, Centropyge aurantia

Habitat: Natural geographic location:
The Golden Angelfish are found in the Western Pacific; American Samoa, Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, northern Great Barrier Reef (Australia), Indonesia, Palau and Pohnpei. Randall and Wass (1974) described the Golden Angelfish when they were collecting many fish species with drugs on the reefs of American Samoa. At first they did not notice its existence while they were diving in the field until they unexpectedly found dead specimens as they were collecting.
In Indonesia the fish has been recorded from various localities including Sulawesi, Bali, Lombok, Komodo and Flores. It will probably be found also in Irian Jaya, and the gap between Papua New Guinea and Indonesia will be bridged in the future. In Pohnpei and Palau of Micronesia it is rare and these islands also are very distant.
This species of Centropyge live in their natural habitat alone or by forming a small group. It prefers deeper waters and is said to be seen among rocks at depths below 164 -197 feet (50 - 60 meters), but in Papua New Guinea it was collected in waters as shallow as 10 feet (3 meters).

michael_cb_125

"It prefers deeper waters and is said to be seen among rocks at depths below 164 -197 feet"

I have to disagree with this statement. According to Scott Michael they are found at depths up to 197'. In Belau it has only been reported at depths of 164' and greater, while at PNG it is found as shallow as 10'.
Either way, it demonstrates that this fish is very adaptable with regards to depth and temperature.

~Michael

SeahorseBT

Michael-OK, I'll see if I can find some live ones. If I do should I just throw them in or should I crack them open? I am so jealous of you with the live calms right at your fingertips. I agree, angels belong in the reef and I am excited to have her because she is my first angel.

Thanks Lorraine, Jake and Jess and thanks for the info mbdave!

michael_cb_125

When you find them, freeze them. The only reason you want to find them live is so that you know they are a fresh as possible. By freezing them you will kill off any nasties that they may be harboring.

Then thaw them out, and crack the shell open. :)

~Michael

michael_cb_125

Keep us posted.

But do not get discouraged if she does not eat for a few days. In some cases it can take weeks for these little guys to adjust to a captive diet. As I said previously the fact that she is picking around the tank is a good sign, and if it has been setup for a while she should be fine.

~Michael

SeahorseBT

Woohoo! She just ate. I had some emerald entree and hikari and she is nibbling on that. I guess I don't need the clams. Thanks anyway though!

SeahorseBT

Both. The first few bites she was eating and spitting back out ( which is tasting right?) and then she ate a few pieces. Not a lot, but like you said, at least she's interested.

SeahorseBT

Tanks669.jpg

Tanks666.jpg

Tanks667.jpg

Tanks668.jpg

michael_cb_125

Abesolutely stunning.

I am jealous! You have a special little fish there, and I am sure you know it. :)

It is good to see one of these fish going to someone who actually has what it takes to keep one up.

Again, Crongrats on a stunning Angel

~Michael