Check out my New Golden Angel!

SeahorseBT

I just got her 2 days ago and thought I would share some pics. She is cruising around the back of the tank and coming out into the front for a few seconds before darting back. They are supposed to be shy by nature, but I think she will be more social in my tank because it is a very quiet peaceful tank.
Tanks664.jpg

Tanks657.jpg

Tanks663.jpg

SeahorseBT

Yeah, I had never seen one before. Last night, she was out swimming around front of the tank, but of course my camera was dead.

SeahorseBT

Thanks! Let's hope she turns out to be reef safe...I don't mind taking a chance for such an awesome fish.

michael_cb_125

Nice FIsh Blake! One of my favorites.

Has she taken any food for you yet? Many times these can be very difficult fish to feed due to their feeding habits in nature. But you did the right thing adding it to a reef tank, IMO these fish are not well suited to a bare bones FO system.

Keep us updated on him :)

~Michael

SeahorseBT

Thanks Michael, I was wondering when you would stop by. She hasn't taken food yet, but is showing a definite interest. She was coming out when I was feeding last night. I know they can be infamous to feed, but I didn't want anybody else to snag her. I am not really worried about her starving because she is constantly picking at the algae growing on the back wall and pods in the rocks. Also, I have some caulerpa I am struggling to control and she's picking at that too.

I was reading an article in CORAL magazine about deep water fish and it said one tip they had for feeding deep water fish was to drop the temp a little which surprisingly got some finicky eaters eating. I guess it helps stimulate natural conditions. I thought this might help because this fish is a deep water fish and it can't hurt. I'll give it a try today and see if it helps. I'll keep you posted for sure! I have some more pics that I need to post too....

michael_cb_125

With the golden angelfish, temperature is not a huge issue. Keeping them at normal reef temps 77-81 should be fine. While these fish are often found in deeper water, they are also found around more shallow reefs as well. They can be found as deep as 200' but as shallow as 10', so I would no be overly concerned about temp. With these fish the big issue is lighting. I am sure you have read up on them, but these fish are typically found within the infrastructure of the reef, deep in the cracks of the structure. As such they are partial to more subdued lighting. IMO the Golden Angel should be considered a cryptic fish rather than a deep-water fish.

Good luck with your beautiful new fish :)
~Michael

SeahorseBT

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Thanks for the info Michael. I guess I won't drop the temp any more. The first 2 days I only had the actinics on to help it adjust. I'll let you know when it eats.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Congrats on the new addition and good luck !
I never got mine to eat prepared foods and he didn't last very long.

Michael where did you read that they can be found in shallow water ? My understanding was that they are from very deeep water and no one really knows what they eat and it also explains why they are usually a rare find in the hobby.

michael_cb_125

Robert- I have read from Scott Michaels Book on Angelfishes about the depths that they are collected from. I have spoken with the owner of BlueZooAquatics many times about these fish and the (Venustus, Colins and Mulitbarred Angels). He has verified the information on the depth the fish are collected at. In some areas these fish are not common until you hit 95', while at ather locales they can be found as shallow as 10'. But the thing to remember is that no matter what depth they are collected, they are always in association with dense coral growth and rock structures. The fact that they are so cryptic is why we know so little about their feeding habits.

~Michael

SeahorseBT

Still no eating. She went right up to a mysis shrimp looked at it and turned away! I will try again tomorrow....Any tips?

michael_cb_125

IME the best way to get tough angels to eat is using clams. Small little neck clams cracked open have a crazy effect on most angels, and can be very useful in getting finicky angels to eat.

But it is a good sign that he is picking at the rock.

~Michael

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Yes I agree with Michael, as long as you have plenty of mature LR it should provide enough micro-algae to sustain him short term but for long term success he needs to adjust to prepared foods. Have you tried Emerald Entree ?