centipede looking thing!

Hi Guys!

Thanks for all your help so far, this forum has proved invaluable in setting up my little reef!

So, after all the months of setting up and battling with levels and chemicals, I've finally put my first zoa in! exciting times! But, it seems to have come with a friend in the form of a caterpillar/centipede looking thing. Any ideas? is it likely to eat my zoa? not sure if its a coincidence, but i've just lost one of my larger red legged hermits too...

IMAG0230.jpg

Cheers guys!

Thats exactly it. Brilliant, thanks! Looks like there are 2 of them, 1 about 3" long, the other about 2". I think I'll leave them in for now, see if they damage anything, looks like they might be useful scavengers!

Thanks again!

Snelly40

bristleworm...very common part of your reefs natural clean up crew, they hitchhike into tanks all the time on live rock, they are good for your tank as long as they dont get tooooo big hahaha, i removed one recently that was a good 2 feet long.....btw dont touch him, it will sting and hurt

Robzilla

They can be a good part of your CUC until they get big....and they can get BIG. I personally remove them on sight.

Ah really?? hmm, now I dont know what to do. How long are we talking about before they are 2 ft long? they are both hiding in the nooks of the LR, so might prove tricky to get out!

Robzilla

Depends on how much food it has. If you over feed your tank they will grow fast. They come out at night.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
They are a VERY good part of your Clean Up Crew. They work HARD behind the scenes cleaning up in places other members of your CUC can't and wont get to.

Also they are a good indicator of OVER feeding. If there is an abundance of food their size and population will grow quickly but inversely once you get feeding under control their numbers will equalize and all will be good again. :)

My vote = Leave em alone :)

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I saw leave it as well........if it gets anywhere near 2 foot, I suggest you chop off its head and feed it to your backyard!

Ha! Thanks guys, I reckon I'll leave 'em in for now! See what they do. I cant keep track of where they are in the LR anyway! would be a nightmare to catch while they are this small.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
They are a VERY good part of your Clean Up Crew. They work HARD behind the scenes cleaning up in places other members of your CUC can't and wont get to.

Also they are a good indicator of OVER feeding. If there is an abundance of food their size and population will grow quickly but inversely once you get feeding under control their numbers will equalize and all will be good again. :)

My vote = Leave em alone :)

+1 ^

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
I can not help myself but always get a charge out of links like this where the author is kinda lost on what a Bristleworm is.

Bristleworm.

Folks, almost all worms in you tank are Bristleworms. Your Feather Dusters are BW, Spaghetti Worms are BW, Fire Worms are BW etc., etc., etc..

Ah ok thanks for clearing that up boomer! So if i wanted to get rid of them while they are small, how effective are arrow crabs? I only have a nanoreef, so i dont want to add something like a wrasse just to clear up a few BW!

charity

I have been looking into this as well I have found as they have said cut down on feedings, leave them be unless they are huge lol. As for arrow crabs I think they have more cons than pros, but they are still interesting anyways. I say get a six line wrasse, or dottyback, or goby. Also I just bought a coral banded shrimp and I got to see him rip one apart and munch on its little body. YES! I dont mind a few but I also dont want to be stung while Im digging in my tank.