Can't Seem To Keep Fish

JulesVane

Hi All! Newbie here! I just can't seem to keep fish! My 90 gal. tank is app. 3 months new. I went (what I think) was the cycle. I have 200+ lbs. of live rock and app. 75 lbs. of live sand. I went through the ammonia spike, then the nitrite spike. Now ammonia and nitrites are zero. Nitrates are less than 20ppm.. During the cycle, when ammonia & nitrites read zero, I went through the diatom stage and added a algae blenny. He did a great job! Then, I noticed I had what appeared to be an infestation of coepods, they were everywhere, all over the glass. So, I figured a mandarin would have plenty to eat and in he went! As time went on, I started adding mostly soft corals, all doing great. So, everything's fine, why not add my favorite fish? I was told to keep them from fighting, to add my 3 favorite tangs all at once. In went a yellow, a hippo and a purple tang. All aclimated properly using the drip method. Almost immediately, the hippo started rubbing his body against rocks and nipping at both the purple and yellow. All three constantly wanted the cleaner shrimp's services. Then, the blenny wanted cleaning. Then it appeared...white specks on the purple, the hippo and eventually the yellow. Oh, by the way, I forgot to mention the 4 false perculas also were in there. I'd say within 2 weeks, all fish were dead. So, I spent the next 2 weeks looking at my beautiful corals, all doing so well. I just needed a small fish for some movement. So, I added a green chromis to sort of "test the waters" and sure enough, he lasted about 5 more days. Did I lose them all to new tank syndrom? Did one fish have ich and spread the love? It's hard to believe that all my corals are doing so great and I can't seem to keep a fish alive!

90 gal. tank
1.024 specific gravity
77 temp.
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate <20ppm
200+ lbs. LR
75 lbs. LS
3/ 175w MH
2/ 48" Actinics
ETSS Sump Buddy 40 by AE Tech
PH 8.4

OK guys...give it to me straight & thanks!

If it was ich, you should maybe not add anything for about 8 weeks... that gives plenty of time for any parasites to die.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Wow! Ok let's start way back in the beginning...

A) You stocked way to fast.... as you add fish the biological filtration needs time to grow to adapt to the new load.

B) You were given bad advice to add 3 tangs to a 90g tank period. It "can" be done but not easily and usually not successfully.

C) Ich has got to be treated accordingly or you're going to keep losing the same battle over and over... http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/23132-marine-ich-myths-facts.html

DaveK

I must agree with the previous posts.

In addition, you have way too much LR in there. I would remove about 1/3 to 1/2 of it. This is a case of too much of a good thing. When you do this you create dead spots, and dirt traps.

OHreefer

Agreed. It also concerns me that your nitrates are less than 20. By less than 20, what do you mean? They should be zero really....your cycle is over and your tank isn't old enough that nitrates will accumulate.

I wouldn't put more than one tang in a 90g...

michael_cb_125

"your cycle is over and your tank isn't old enough that nitrates will accumulate."

That is an incorrect statement. Young tanks are the tanks that build up large concentrations of Nitrate, due to the lack of nitrate depleting bacteria. Only older more established tanks ever build up the capability of nitrate reducing bacteria, and some tanks NEVER accomplish this.

When tanks are young, the only way to reduce Nitrate is by removing it, via water changes.

~Michael