Can you ID this?

DrHank

It has been slowly growing in my tank for almost 3 years. It is one of my favorite items but I have no idea what it is. The photo is a bit dark but it is kind of a purplish color. It is about 2 1/2" in diameter.

Unknown-1.jpg

DrHank

Thanks Janetta. I love it too but am afraid to touch it. It seems so delicate. I'm hoping that others have them too and that I can get a firm I'd.

DrHank

Big Al it's brittle and I thought some really weird coralline algae (which it could be). I've never seen anything like it before either. It's just been slowly getting bigger (growing if you like) and I just leave it alone.

BobBursek

Dr.H,
looks cool, and a freebie!!! Maybe a Mono or Acromonopora. Costly to buy at a LFS!!! Maybe Boomer will ID, but if all is well in the tank, leave it until a problem starts, IMHO.

ReefKeepers

I agree, it is plating coralline algae. Have had it several times before in clients tanks. It's very fragile, and will break easily. However, the pieces will serve to seed new elsewhere. Good job. Jeff
Would send a pic but haven't figured how to shrink file size, my pics are 1.6mb and they only allow 50kb????

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Would send a pic but haven't figured how to shrink file size, my pics are 1.6mb and they only allow 50kb????

The best way to post pics of ANY size is to share them in a Photobucket account. Then the forum software will re-size to make it work at it's best.

DrHank

Yep, I think Frankie called it right from the beginning. Guess it was just a lucky freebie.

I agree with Big AL. Photobucket is the easiest way to post photos.