Can someone explain to me why in the RSM factory videos I have seen they have tangs?

bryceK

Can someone explain to me why in the RSM factory videos I have seen there are both blue and yellow tangs? Yes I know they are small in the videos but why would they advertise them in there when it is widely known that tangs require a much larger aquarium to thrive.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Re: Can someone explain to me why in the RSM factory videos I have seen they have tan

It's just a marketing thing - pretty little tangs draw unknowing buyers. :(

bryceK

Re: Can someone explain to me why in the RSM factory videos I have seen they have tan

It just kills me and well trying to explain all to the powers that be here at the house......LOL

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

LOL! You do see quite a few in 130s, but obviously not recommended due to how big they can get. I have a little sailfin in mine, and he'll probably have to come out and go to a new home eventually, but he's growing slowly thank goodness, and doesn't seem at all cramped for space.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Very good article Iain - I read that one yesterday. Coral Magazine has some great content, and is a magazine I highly enjoy!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Great read

It is a good read! Some commonly kept smaller fish would in nature require a lot more swimming room than tangs, and not all tangs are wide ranging reef fish. I think the point he made was that if the fish is healthy and not stressed, that's often more important than size, up to a point.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

One thing said made me think about wolves... comments by Ronald L. Shimek, when wolves range over large amounts of land it is to find food, when they became dogs (my husky) and I feed him & enclose him in the back yard & in the house with us, he still has a great life - imo - just food for thought, and I am not saying we could or should house big fish in small tanks... disclaimer to my comments here

bryceK

Very good article. It opened up my eyes in a way to look at it. Now I found the whole forum thing quite funny as if any of us who have been around a while know what site was being discussed. LOL

I have a yellow tang and he's happy but he's still small, I also had a regal tang for just over a year and now I've returned him to my LFS because not only was he getting bigger he was also a very fast swimmer and very obviously needed more space.

Having said that I agree with Glenn but just to keep it topical we all have fish in fish tanks some of us have bigger tanks then others but I've not seen anybody with a tank that compares to the ocean. But we do all strive to keep our inhabitance to the best of our abilities and what we've learned from keeping pets has taught us and millions of other people to be more aware and interested in the wildlife that we are lucky enough to shear this wonderful world with.

I do think Red Sea are wrong to show fish in a tank that really isn't suitable. They should and do know better.

I'll shut up now. :)

Just subscribed to above magazine :)

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Good analogy Glenn!

Very good article. It opened up my eyes in a way to look at it. Now I found the whole forum thing quite funny as if any of us who have been around a while know what site was being discussed. LOL

Yep - I know which forum it is too! Some very well known aquarists gave up on posting at that place!

seafansar

OMG! I love the first part about the TP! HAHAHAHA!!!! It's so true!

Nowellsy SNR

Quick question when i go to my local fishshop it says Regal Tangs arnt reef safe?

seafansar

A few regal tangs will get a taste for corals. I've known a few people who had this problem. They had the fish for a while and then suddenly it wipes out all of their zoas or starts nipping at their LPS. I don't think it's all that often, but it does happen.

Nowellsy SNR

That answers my question cheers