Camel vs Peppermint Shrimp . .

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I saw a post here today mentioning Camel vs Peppermint shrimp and yes I have known they are often confused ONE for the other but I didn't realize how MUCH they look alike. I started "Googling" them in the "Image" category and apparently it's a wide spread issue. They do look remarkably alike.

So my question(s) is/are....

What is the "hump/bump" characteristic I saw mentioned in http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...so-i-have-aiptasia-now-what-3.html#post309174

I have several in both of my tanks and they all look like what I see as "Peppermint" as they don't have the heavy WHITE lines that would make them Camel shrimp. But the irony is that ONE in each tank has a hump on it... not like on the TOP of it's back more on the side up near the head.. I would actually call it more of a "tumor-like" projection than a hump per say. Either I'll get a pic at home of one tonight and post it or bring my camera to work and take a picture of it in the morning.

so would it be accurate to use the "heavy white" lineage to help distinguish between the two?

I'm confident that I have Peppermint because I have NO aptasia in my 12g tank here at work and only ONE Aptasia in my home tank. It's been there since day once (9 months now) and hasn't gotten much bigger or spread at all. I have to say that and go home and it's spread EVERYWHERE today :lol:

any ideas?

Allen :)

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I think there is a distinct morphologic differences. The camels tail is pinched in and narrow posterior to the hump. In Jacks links the 1st one is the Camel. Also Camels come from the Indo-Pacific and Peppermints come from the Caribbean/Atlantic. Camels are not really reef safe.

DrHank

Everyone should see those two pictures Jack. I'll bet there are a bunch of folks who wanted peps and got camels and are complaining that they didn't eat any aiptasia.

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
they only issue I have ever seen with peppermint was once they ate a PLT anenome at the base. Of course to there were no apitasia for them to eat could have been the reason

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I suspect my 4 peppermints ganged up on a GBTA I once had and chewed on its base. I didn't witness it, so I'm not sure, but do have my suspicions.:guns:

XBwlr

Camel
marinedepotlive_1968_5571350

Peppermint
marinedepotlive_1968_18300006

reefjitsu

In addition, there are more than one species of peppermint shrimp, and they all look alike. Some are more reef-friendly than others.