Calibrating Temp Probes

carmexx

Ok, I may be crazy but I have little to no faith in the Actual temp in my aquarium. I use a temp probe through my Reefkeeper and It just doesn't calibrate. I get different readings. I unplug a heater or plug one in and wait and no change for hours sometimes. I had one of those digital ones hoping i could calibrate with that. POS crapped out so i threw it out. I have a glass thermometer in now and it is steady but I am looking for a GOOD thermometer that i can trust to verify temp. What do you all use?

StirCrayzy

A Cheap little $2 glass one in my sump, is my backup to the digital thermometer up top in overflow box.
Just a little reassurance, if I lose faith in technology.

chipmunkofdoom2

Agreed with StirCrayzy, a cheap alcohol thermometer is probably the most accurate measure you're going to get without spending a ton on lab-grade digital equipment.

Having said that, I don't think that having perfect calibration is that important for a reef. Our aquariums are kept at a wide range of temps, from 78* to 82*. Would it matter if you calibrated your probe to 78* when the water was actually 79*? Or what about 78* when the water is actually 80*? The controller will keep the temperature almost dead on to whatever you set it. If you miscalibrate, and what the controller believes is 78* is actually 80*, it will still keep the water at exactly 80*.

While being ACCURATE within a certain range of normal temps is important, I think the PRECISION of an aquarium controller will make up for a degree or two error in calibration. Just my $0.02 though.

carmexx

The thing here is I don't trust my controllers probe. I want to know what the actual temp is with a second probe/thermometer so I can see if the is a false reading. Anyway I ordered a new probe for my RKE so I think i'll be good. Thanks.

MatroxD

There was just this topic on the Neptune forums.. They stated a "NIST" certified thermometer for calibration purposes..

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

StirCrayzy

temp_cal_solution_a.jpg
This is the only Rock Solid way to ensure accurate temp calibration....

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/can-m...campaign=specials&utm_content=aprilfools_2016

;) your welcome