Buy/Build LED's - Benefit?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
OK.......I ask this question with all due respect to all involved......I just need a little help understanding.

Take a 48" tank that needs lighting:
- you can buy 4 AI SOL Blues to the tune of $1600
- or you could build out a DIY for around the same (2x24 inch heatsinks). Not sue of the exact cost but it seems close
- Both options really cover the tank for lighting requirements

So what is the reason for DIY builds considering that "usually" (that is the operative word) DIY projects are cheaper than buying manufactured stuff?

I have some of my own thoughts but I figured it would be nice to hear from guys/gals from both sides.

OK I'll start :)
With DIY, I can better control the kelvin look of more blue/white.....

Next!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Well as of recent times the "Reasons" have changed because some high quality fixtures are on the market now for fairly reasonable prices. Just a few months ago the DIY was about 1/4 or so of a factory unit. It's still usually less expensive and you can really customize the light to be exactly what you want as being a box of compromises.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I do like the customizing option (assuming I know what I'm doing) but I wonder how the resale of a DIY unit compares to a manufactured one. My assumption is less.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I do like the customizing option (assuming I know what I'm doing) but I wonder how the resale of a DIY unit compares to a manufactured one. My assumption is less.

I would say that a pretty good assumption ^ but as far a re-sale goes, seems like if you had them lets say a year, the newer technology that just keeps coming out is going to date both.

Just my thoughts :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I probably wouldn't give much for someone elses's DIY just because there is no QC so you just never really know. I sort of trust my workmanship but that's asking a lot to trust someone else's who doesn't have a company on the line.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Yeah, that was kind of my point.....the company name may pull a little bit of a premium but odds are they are "last years model.

Short of a custom need, It is hard to justify the expense of the DIY...and that's just My opinion.

I have a canopy now so I was looking into them until of totaled up my shopping cart!!!

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
For me, the savings just didn't look like it was worth the project.

Also for me, if I werre even considering buying a DIY set form anyone, I would have to practically steel it from them to pull the trigger.

redneckgearhead

Have you looked at these? 48 Ultra Premium LED DIY Kit with Dimmable Drivers - Rapid LEDwith heat sinks I think you could build two units that would be way over kill for a 48" tank for around a grand. Saving yourself 600$ no small change in my book. And as far as upgrading to the latest technology could possibly work in your favor if you went DIY. Next year they have better drivers, ok that's an easy upgrade, better optics, again easy upgrade and even if the chips themselves got better if you use screws to mount them that's an easy upgrade too. While the quality and the engineering is better with manufactured lights if a person shops around the DIY can be hard to beat on price.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I like a good "Project" and would do my DIY (from a kit) over again in a heart beat. One difference is I don't have many "in hood" options for my little RSM130D so I almost had to go DIY.

Now if I were "in the market" for a light to fit a "Standard" tank I'd probably be looking for a factory made unit and I'd most likely go with the Radion's

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I like a good "Project" and would do my DIY (from a kit) over again in a heart beat. One difference is I don't have many "in hood" options for my little RSM130D so I almost had to go DIY.

Now if I were "in the market" for a light to fit a "Standard" tank I'd probably be looking for a factory made unit and I'd most likely go with the Radion's

Wat!

No Apollos's AL?

Tru2nr

Honestly with diy leds you have the ability to upgrade the leds easier which is where the obsolescense comes into play which is best option if that's your concern. If you know the correct channels to go through you can specify certain lot codes or date codes. One thing to understand with any electronic component but especially leds....this market is rapidly changing and a standard led usually takes 6-14 weeks to manufacture plus another 2 weeks in transit...these parts then need to get to the OEM of the factory fixtures and manufactures which probably adds another week or two depending so yes there is a good chance that a new better LED is getting ready to be released until this market stablizes

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Well with that logic id have never have lights tho.

.......thanks for listening.

magnetar68

I think with the current generation of off-the-shelf LEDs it is almost a toss-up. If you would enjoy building them, you will be able to customize your build for your tank (optics, colors, dimming, etc), but all of that is work. The latest generation LEDs have almost all of the flexibility you might want, although they are a little conservative in terms of watts per LED, so that is another advantage for DIY. But I started my LED project last summer and I am still not done! (I am getting close though).

As LEDs come down in price and manufacturers move to silicon carbide LEDs, the equation could change quickly. I expect this to happen soon. Probably within the next two years. The CREE XB-D LEDs will be 50% cheaper than saphire based LEDs. If they can produce a wide enough range of colors with this technology, imagine being able to buy a Radion for $375 each instead of $750? Then when you compare all the work required for DIY and the absolute amount of money saved, DIY probably won't look like such a great option.

Here is my matrix. *=poor *****=excellent (poor, fair, good, very good, excellent)

BuildBuyNotes
Cost$$$$$$$FOr a given watts/$, DIY is still cheaper, but LEDs are expensive either way
Flexibility*********Most of the modular off-the-shelf items are pretty flexible
Raw Power*******DIYs can be cranked up to 950mA for a 3W LED as opposed to the lower currents used in
off-the-shelf units. This decreases life; but let's be real, you are going to upgrade in a few
years anyway.
Dimming Options*******Some newer fixtures have awesome dimming options (e.g., Radion).
Doing this type of dimming DIY is a lot more work given the programming required.
Color Options********Some fixtures support custom colors, many do not
Optics Options*******Some fixtures have optics choices, most do not; but some have different fixtures
depending on whether you need to go deep or not
Ease of Build/Install******DIYs are a fair amount of work, some of it rather technical; but if you actually enjoy DIY
this is a plus and not a negative
Chance of Success********Depends on the person, but you could blow out LEDs or drivers or even
burn down your house or electrocute yourself
Future Proof******Some fixtures have upgradable LEDs, most do not

Last edited:

ReefLEDLights

RS Sponsor
DIY Allows the end user to use the best most efficient parts. The Cree XT-E LED is about 15% more efficient than the XP-E... No manufacturers us this LED as of today.

You can also pick and choose different Bins of LEDs to obtain the best look.

Another advantage is Murphys Law... Something will go wrong. With a DIY you can easily swap out a LED or driver. With a factory fixture from a good company you have to send the whole thing back and wait.

Bill

reeferman

i built my units myself using everything from Bill at Reef leds and could not be happier.one of the best decisions ive ever made.Bill is the best.
Bryan,if you are confident in your abilities,you can build a fixture far superior to most at a much better price.i have 2 8.5"x18" heatsinks,8 fans,108 3w cree[72 blues,24 whites,12 high noon]completely dimmable all controlled by my Reefkeeper Elite.i can go from bluer than 20k to 10k with a touch of a button.
the colors and growth of my acros is awesome and you cant beat the shimmer.

StirCrayzy

If faced with the option to build or buy, i vote BUILD !
I am purely driven by the satisfaction that i gained knowledge, and learned enough to inspire another project.
There is a sense of accomplishment when you create something that is not just a cookie cutter generic product.
Something custom, unique, personal, and creative, will always prove more rewarding in my mind.
Not to take anything away from the unbelievable products available off the shelf, they definately will always have their place in my heart.
I would opt to build even if i only saved 10-20% over retail. Cost is not a huge driving factor, but it is a good motivator.
Plus its nice to enjoy building and have other people around who appreciate your work.

On a side note, i would give very little value to other folks' DIY stuff for sale, i just have a hard time trusting items unless i can easily break down the exact manufacture process, and quality.

ReefLEDLights

RS Sponsor
I gotta pick your brains :)

LMK what you think of the instruction manual we are working on right now for our phoenix kit.
How To DIY LED « « ReefLEDLights | LED Aquarium Lighting ReefLEDLights | LED Aquarium Lighting
(At the top its a link)

Our goal was to develop a kit that anyone with Lego skills could put together.

Thanks!

-Rick

side note, The other issue with LEDs is SUPPLIERS!

trplxj_9.jpg

This pic shows you why we work so hard for the LEDs we get. You can see how the royal blues are more purple/violet and the blues are... well. Blue! Our competitors that do not have BIN control get whatever LEDs that are cheapest which translates to royal blues that end up more in the blue spectrum (no coral/fish colour pop)

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I'm definitely looking into the DIY.....and I will look through your manual.......i just need to make sure I can do it and it will work the way i want it to.

Thanks guys

magnetar68

I like the idea of a better step-by-step instruction. It would have saved me time and uncertainty. I bought many of my components from Bill@ReefLEDLights, so I can vouch he was a great vendor with whom to work: both in terms of his inventory and his support.