Busted !

prow

dude, some people. i was happy to read this quote;
“People who keep corals are very serious hobbyists and most are entirely above board,” she said. “But some don’t really care where the corals have come from as long as they look good in their aquarium — for them it is just about collecting the latest cool animal in the latest cool colour.”
at least they are not blaming us real hobbiest:)

framerguy

dude, some people. i was happy to read this quote;
at least they are not blaming us real hobbiest:)
I agree with you. The whole scandal is a black eye for the hobby in general. I'm glad that quote about most of us not being so bad was in the article too. We've got enough to deal with from uninformed "tree huggers" as it is.

Frankie

RS STAFF
What is really sad is the London Zoo most likely is not set up to care for these newly received corals and there going to all die now. The best thing they could have done was give them to local reef clubs to be distributed out~

DaveK

Keep in mind that all the article really tells you is that customs intercepted a shipment of corals because they believe it contained endangered species and/or corals taken from protected areas.

If this is true, it is ashame, and gives out hobby a black eye.

By the same token, customs may be wrong. Many corals look alike, and identification can be difficult. The shipper and wholesaler deserve their day in court.

I seem to recall cases of US customs stopping clams from entering the USA, even though they were captive raised, and not endangered. Like corals, clams can be very difficult to identify if you don't know what to look for.

tbittner

What is really sad is the London Zoo most likely is not set up to care for these newly received corals and there going to all die now. The best thing they could have done was give them to local reef clubs to be distributed out~

They should have flown them on to Germany to Heinz. If anyone could keep these corals alive, growing, and reproducing, it would be him.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
The London Zoo does specialize in some very exotic and near extinct animals as well as a fairly extensive coral program. I would like to "think" all that was taken into careful consideration.

Now I have to say.. if ANYONE can keep them alive Heinz can... GREAT response Terry :)

tbittner

Great video, Frankie. Thanks!

I wonder what their success rate is? What techniques they use, etc.

I wonder if we invited them to join us here at RS if they would stop in occasionally. :D

cracker

That's too cool. I wasn't able to watch the video but I was worried the corals had perished do to all the red tape.