Budget Powerheads

ZebbyD

I am looking to add another powerhead in my RSM 130D, but want to ensure I don't end up spending too much.

This powerhead will be to create move movement across the 'reef' and allow me to cure a potential dead spot problem.

Any ideas on what you guys/girls have, or feel is best would be amazing.

The cheaper the better, unless its useless!

Kind regards

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
The Powersweep is nice, but has always had bad reviews though. I'd go Koralia. The new Koralia Evolution powerheads are even smaller than the previous models, and designed to work better with the on & off type wavemakers.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
heres my review... i like my powersweep

Do you have to clean it often? The biggest complaint I've always read about them is that they take cleaning every week or two to keep them working. Maybe they've improved them. I almost got one a long time ago, till I read reviews.

ZebbyD

I've already had a look at the Koralia Evolution range and I think they would be my first choice.

Thanks for all the responses.

dmyers557

Koralias are nice, but so is the new aqueon powerheads. I had one and they are stronger than the koralia, but I love the magnet of the koralias better

Terry, the only complaint i have is the sponge on the bottom of it. i havent cleaned the moving parts in more that a month though. i can see how it would stop rotating as it does not have alot of force to swivel, it just kind of floats back and forth.
another thing, do you still have the er skimmer and how is doing, how many pumps on it? microbubbles?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Jake - I do still have a double pump ER skimmer, but it's now a sump version in my cabinet sump. Even after several months it does blow out microbubbles. In my case the bubbles are removed by a bubble trap sponge in the sump, and never make it into the return pump chamber or up into the tank.