brown & green algae in new tanks

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Thought I would add to this thread... a pic of my tank now... after the algae phase passed ;)

IMG_1763zzzz012012.jpg

Nob35

Glenn you are not nice making people think they could achieve something like your tank.
Just kidding but your tank is amazing, most can only hope to accomplish half of what you have in your tank.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Thank you very much, but lots of members in the club have tanks even more pretty and successful than mine - I just have a few years (4 years) of coral growth ahead of them, I was commenting to someone the other day I can't see my rockscape anymore, it's all covered with coral :dance:

This can lead to wanting a bigger RSM ;)

This was my RSM 130D it filled up... and I moved to the RSM 250

IMG_2222.jpg

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
This tread is GOOD TO KNOW. My tank (starting week 2) is both golden brown & now turning green.
Your tanks do look FANTASTIC Glenn! :)

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
SO! I just finished reading this thread as I was in panic because my LR and sand is currently coated with brown algae. My tank was setup by my LFS guy on 2/2/2013. The specs of the tank are in my signature. He filled it with his own water and his own cured LR. He gave me the grape caulerpa algae for the fuge from one of his own tanks. I've got 10 hermit crabs working on the LR now. My 2 percula clownfish are doing fine. How long can this algae period last?

I'd post a photo, but I haven't posted 10 yet. :ashamed:

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
You set the tank up last week and it already has fish in it?

That brown is a stage in cycling. If I remember correctly, cycling goes throught brown and then you will probably get some green and possibly hair algae. During this your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates will fluctuate and when the cycle is done they theoretically should all be at 0. You normally add some clean up crew toward the end of the cycling. Once the cycle is done you start adding livestock. Some people use a deli shrimp to jump start the cycle. I was lucky on my RSM250, it cycled in four weeks. Some tanks take longer.

I understand that you used water and live rock from an established tank, but it is still very possible that it will cycle.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

The "new tank phase" in my tanks lasted 2 to 3 months... my tanks cycled in around 4-5 weeks

prsrock

Thanks Glenn Im in the brown green stage with my tank at the minute and as you said Im ashamed
to post pics it was very dishartening to watch my beautiful Aquaroche rock go green
then brown I have added a few extra snails they seem to be making great progress
in clearing it up on the rocks I have crushed coral on top of my sand
but it looks like a carpet my skimmer seems to be working over time
it is pulling some real smelly gunk out of the tank.
The tank has only been running since the end of december last year
this thread will help me sort this out thank you so much

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
You set the tank up last week and it already has fish in it?

That brown is a stage in cycling. If I remember correctly, cycling goes throught brown and then you will probably get some green and possibly hair algae. During this your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates will fluctuate and when the cycle is done they theoretically should all be at 0. You normally add some clean up crew toward the end of the cycling. Once the cycle is done you start adding livestock. Some people use a deli shrimp to jump start the cycle. I was lucky on my RSM250, it cycled in four weeks. Some tanks take longer.

I understand that you used water and live rock from an established tank, but it is still very possible that it will cycle.

I know, I know... I was worried about having livestock in the tank with this as a possibility (after everything I'd read!), but my LFS guy is really good at this, he has beautiful tanks and his specialty is stingrays! I trust his judgement. And I'm going to hold him to it too! My two clowns were living in that water with the live rock I received. He even told me that I'll probably get some algae, but not to worry. So... I'm going to do my best not to worry.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
This is a post that needs to be read by all new tank owners (like myself) every time we get a new case of worrisome algae.
:bump: So here's a needed re-bump :bump:
Thanks nanoreefing4fun for all your help & encouragement to all us newbies! :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Just a bump to encourage anyone with a new tank & going through the "new tank algae phase" as your tank matures you will overcome it !

17.-Encourage-sunset.jpg

Roy Page

Thanks Glenn for pointing me to this thread !

I now am feeling a touch better having read through all the posts here.
I am at Day 10 with the RSM C-250, CUC went in over last 24 hours and there are some clean spots on my LR among the dark brown diatoms and hair algae.

My 2 Emerald Crabs have each found a hole and they are both clearing the hair algae curtains that cover the entrances.

As predicted by the RS Reef Mature Kit, my Ammonia and Nitrates are now at 0, with Nitrate at 10.
A lovely pair of Clowns are waiting in the garage tank for Day 14 assuming the test numbers are all as recommended by RS they will be moved to their new home on Sat :whstlr:

d10_1.jpg

Roy

Wow, this thread has been going for awhile, but a great read!
So my tank has been up for about a week now with live sand and live rock..I have one yellow tailed damsel in the tank(I know people say not to put livestock in this soon, but it was a suggestion someone gave me before I knew not to). Anyways, the brown algae just started popping up, covering the sand, and spreading to the rock. Is this super early to be getting the brown algae? Most people report getting this like a month or more after they set up, just seems like it came really fast. Also, I shouldn't add any CUC yet, correct?
Thanks!