brown & green algae in new tanks

nyfan78

re: brown & green algae in new tanks

So u agree i am ready for the cuc then? I never saw any of the test spike.

ChrisY

That depends if you never saw a apike either it happened fast or you had no ammonia source to start feeding the bacteria. When you started did you add a deli shrimp or something to initiate the cycle? If you didnt then there is a good chance the cycle never got started. More info would be helpful.

nyfan78

I did add live rock from a 10 year old established tank. With the rock came a 5 year old emerald crab.

aminc

Hi all,

I read the original post on this thread by Glenn - Great Read! I am experiencing an algae bloom currently in my RSM which has been cycled and up for 6 weeks now. Have 60 lbs of LR and 70 lbs of LS. Am running lights for 10 hours as suggested by the RSM 250 manual, but I guess this is too much? CUC: 8 astea turbos, 2 mexican turbos, 1 emarald crab and 3 blue legged crabs, 3 nassarius and 2 brown blotch. Just added my first fish yesterday - 2 False Perculas.

Also, bought Chemi-Pure Elite (1 Unit). My LFS said 1 unit is good enough for 65 gallon tank. Questions:

- How many hours should I be running the lights for.
- Chemi Pure Elite package says "Any area not filled by the bag, pack even with filter floss and then place thin layer of same over bag". How are you guys running the Elite - where in RSM 250 do you have it placed? Do you run the stock carbon as well with it?

Thanks in advance for all your responses.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

I read the original post on this thread by Glenn - Great Read!

Thanks you very much !

I run two bags of the 11.74 oz CPE - 1 unit enough to treat 40 gallons - in place of the stock carbon

Boyd Chemi Pure Elite

and 1 100 ml bag of Purigen Seachem Laboratories Purigen

on the stock RSM media rack was were I did run them... now I am using an Intank Media Basket RSM 250 Media Basket

9 hours may help a bit, but it will pass... as the tank matures :dance:

Triple T

Hi all,

I read the original post on this thread by Glenn - Great Read! I am experiencing an algae bloom currently in my RSM which has been cycled and up for 6 weeks now. Have 60 lbs of LR and 70 lbs of LS. Am running lights for 10 hours as suggested by the RSM 250 manual, but I guess this is too much? CUC: 8 astea turbos, 2 mexican turbos, 1 emarald crab and 3 blue legged crabs, 3 nassarius and 2 brown blotch. Just added my first fish yesterday - 2 False Perculas.

Also, bought Chemi-Pure Elite (1 Unit). My LFS said 1 unit is good enough for 65 gallon tank. Questions:

- How many hours should I be running the lights for.
- Chemi Pure Elite package says "Any area not filled by the bag, pack even with filter floss and then place thin layer of same over bag". How are you guys running the Elite - where in RSM 250 do you have it placed? Do you run the stock carbon as well with it?

Thanks in advance for all your responses.

I have around 1 blue leg crab per gallon. Seems like a lot but I have a clean tank!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

steved13

PREMIUM

I have around 1 blue leg crab per gallon. Seems like a lot but I have a clean tank!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I ran into a guy that recommended exactly that 1 per gallon, no snails. I liked this idea, mainly because hermits stay in the tank, snails sometimes crawl out. How old is your tank, and how long have you been using the crabs?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

:lookaroun a tank full of crabs... eeeekkkk this thread a long read (25 pages of post)... but a good one, it convinced me... snails are the way to go - no crabs here... Crabs eat "things"

give this a read... but I agree more than one way to run a reef tank - Snails keep my tank near 100% algae free :dance:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/general-reef-aquarium-discussion/11718-crabs-evil-society.html

sidebar - only people can be evil - crabs just do as they were created to do... "eat things"

steved13

PREMIUM

I can excuse the fish that jumps, once it commits it usually can't go back. But snails crawl out and aren't smart enough to turn around? I can't believe they don't go back in the water just to get away from the smell. LOL The blue legs are pretty tiny, I don't think they're eating anything that can still move. I have almost 100 in my tank now and no problems. Also a few scarlets and a few electric blues which are larger but no issues, so far.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

Interesting... in my closed top RSM Steve, I have never had a snail crawl out... never once, not even into the back & I have 100's of snails - they crawl to the top rim, but in my tank, have never crawled out :dance:

steved13

PREMIUM

Interesting... in my closed top RSM Steve, I have never had a snail crawl out... never once, not even into the back & I have 100's of snails - they crawl to the top rim, but in my tank, have never crawled out :dance:

I was mostly kidding. But I have found them in the overflows, clogging the drain tubes, on the floor, in the stand beneath the tank. The closed top certainly helps, but I bet you've found a few in the hinge channels?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

Some do wander to the top :) but never had one get out or even in the hinge tray, that I remember... :dance: Cheers !

ChrisY

I have had no escapee's but I do find them in the hinge frequently, they eventually mosy back to the water when the light gets them too warm. :)

Jklyczek

Hey what about red cynobacteria... I bought my first tank ever last week used on craigslist. Its a 14g biocube and came with everything (including the RED C). The lady must have cleaned it hardcore before I came over because the stuff wasn`t there when i bought it. It was a fully cycled tank and came with hermit crabs, a clown, and a yellow watchman gobi. I removed the crabs and added a cuc of 1 zebra turbo, 10 cerinths, and 10 nassarius. The ammonia spiked to .5 but its going down. should i use chemiclean to get rid of the RED, or just do water changes?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

should i use chemiclean to get rid of the RED

I wouldn't

I would just follow the same basic principles listed in this thread... with good maintenance you will defeat it

Just read this thread for the first time. Good useful info. Although my tank has been up and running for over 6 months, I realized that I have nowhere near the number of cleaners needed. I have nearly 10 hermit crabs (mixed variety) and about 5 snails (mixed variety). I haven't had bad algae problems, but I have noticed that green hair lingers from time to time and red-brown algae shows up on occasion. I test chems regularly and they are good. Nitrates are usually very low (many times they are too low to show up on a test). After reading about the reefcleaners.org on this thread, I decided to give it a look. It makes sense now why the red-brown algae pops up randomly from time to time. I just don't have the volume of CUC I need, so I just ordered the 34 RSM quick crew. Should be here by the weekend. My question for you guys is this. Should I remove several of the larger snails? I think I have 3 turbos. With the quick crew from reefcleaners.org, would it be too much to have that many big snails? Also, should I consider removing some of my hermits?

redfish

Looks like I need more CUC as well I think several of mine died off or was eaten I see lots of empty shells.

I still have several but not that many tanks been up since april and started with live rock now have hair algae.