Bristle worm sting?

jgsensor

I was moving some rock around in my sump yesterday and when I finished I realized I had bristles sticking out of my finger. Great here we go again should have worn the gloves. So I have been stung before and get some swelling, redness and itching, but this time I have what appears to be a big blood blister at the sting spot. Is this normal or do I start to worry?
47c3aa78-c847-11ce.jpg

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Watch for streaks of red or any striations. Blood poisoning is real. Sepsis can cause lasting issues or death. Me personally id bounce on over to prompt care.

..........I live my life as a warning to others.

jgsensor

Thanks for the link, I was reading that earlier. Just sent a text and pic to a friend who's a PA, see what he has to say. I'm keeping an eye on it.

Ouch bro! Best of luck. Yeah I'd probably go to er and watch their faces when you tell them Youv been stung by a saltwater bristle worm lol!

Roots

WOW! That's crazy man! I know for a fact that I have a TON of pretty LARGE bristle worms in my tank. It's always in the back of my mind when I am grabbing any rocks from my tank that I could be stung by something. I actually have a pretty real fear of things that lurk in the ocean that can hurt me.

jgsensor

Lol, I'm pretty sure if I go to the ER and tell them it was a bristle worm there will be a bunch of blank stares followed by a "what?". Maybe thats why I haven't got a response from my PA friend yet.

I swear I haven't any worms in the tank for a couple years. I thought my wrasse cleaned them out. I guess I was wrong..

jgsensor

Just talked to the PA and as expected the response was "you were stung by a what?". So after explaining it, I was told to apply some antibiotics and keep an eye on it. I guess as long as the blood blister doesn't go completely around my finger or no streaks running up my hand I should be ok.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Watch for streaks of red or any striations. Blood poisoning is real. Sepsis can cause lasting issues or death. Me personally id bounce on over to prompt care.

Cha ching.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
lots of nasty things hiding in our LR that we may never see. Some bite, some sting, others just itch...best defense? Latex powder Free Gloves, Use em, know em, LOVE EM...8 bucks a box, and worth every cent. Just put em on and wash em off with RO/DI water before sticking your hands in the tank. May also wana put a rubberband around your wrist to keep them from filling with water. I got sick of blisters and such. I feel ya.

Every time i touch my seasoned LR with bare hands, i get blisters that itch like mad for days. So i have learned through Trial&(multiple errors), not to do it. Oh, that rock dislodged and the coral's on the sand...Reach for the gloves. 30 sec saftey measures, save days of itchy blisters.

jgsensor

Oh I learned that lesson a long time ago, just not smart enough to always follow it even though I have several pairs of gloves for the tank. Stupid is what stupid does..lol.

Looks better today the blood blister is drying up. Still swollen, sore, numb and can't bend it.