Bobs Battle Begins, the dreaded byprosis

ReefGuy69

ya. tell him your allergic to tap water. theres impurities that give you a rash and/or health issues and worst case scenerio threaten a law suit if he doesnt allow it. I bet you will have it the very next day. :)

ReefGuy69

And if he asks to see the rash (some landlords can be pushy) push right back and tell him its where the sun dont shine (well not very often for me) and if he really wants to see he can. He if your lucky will probably not call you on your bluff.

BEELZEBOB

well.

its working.

slowly, but shurely, its dying.

LOTS of WC's, Mg @ 1800ppm.

im all out of the stuff, but think i will buy 1 more bottle, and keep goin.

pics to come.

michael_cb_125

Well Bob,,,,I am now in the same boat :(

Im glad to hear yours is vanishing.
I am lucky in that mine is isolated to a single rock, and it is not covering the rock, just in small patches.

I guess I will try the Bob method. Luckily I have a whole gallon of Tech M :)
~Michael

burning2nd

my suggestion is to remove what ever is infected and boil it...

since im kinda like the master of The killer B i learned over the years that the best way to rid this stuff is to nuke it..

remove your Coral, Qt it.. remove the rocks 1 by 1 boil em... brake the hole thing down seperate the rocks that are infected....

people need to look at Bryposis like the T virus is resident evil if its loose where all dead.

the Mag trick will work... but it will be back...

notice how everyone that says "i used mag and got rid of it" doesnt show pictures..

the mAg only stops the Bryopsis from reproduceing... but the roots stay in the rock... and after time the MAg will fall back to normal levels, and the algae, will return....

JoJo

glad to hear its working Bob. hopefully it STAYS gone and you wont have to go to the last resort as Burning advised

BEELZEBOB

it failed.

tank is worse off than ever.

im getting out of the hobby.

i may keep bane in a nice lil set up, but im done with reefs for now.

you all have been great.

i bid you al ADUE

burning2nd

and there you have it...

i have the way....

dont mess with bryposis... if you see if in a small patch when it starts... just boil that rock.
Im willing to bet you failed cause you messed with it while the flow was still on..

For future refence (everyone) When messing with this stuff... stop the flow.. let the water stop completely.. then slowly shipon it out.. as you pick it off the rocks... if you move your hand 2 fast.. you will spread the spores and it will come back even more...

but the best bet is that in the begining removeing the rock itson.

ModernReef

it failed.

tank is worse off than ever.

im getting out of the hobby.

i may keep bane in a nice lil set up, but im done with reefs for now.

you all have been great.

i bid you al ADUE

LIFE LESSON 1/7/2009: Bryopsis IS Bob Proof...

J/K

Thats not a Battle, thats more like a Tiff or a skirmish maby...

Just drop 3 of the tinyest little emrald crabs in there.
and after its all gone, then remove all but one, the smallest one .

may take 1 month tops for them to handel it, but one of them will hang out right where the algae is and keep it trimmed.

It tends to grow out of control when the bulbs are out of whack / older. Did you use older bulbs/used ones??
did you pull out as much as possible before treating?

Funny thing is I never even saw that stuff till just in the last few years, now it seems to be everywhere.

P.S. Burning 2nd..... Sik Avitar.... "EXTERMINATE!!!" LOL My fav are the Vashtin Nurada! (The Library)

burning2nd

modern reef....

Not this stuff...
everything you said is wrong... (sorry)

bryposis.. is not hair algae.......

i have some hair in my small tank and i tell you what i injoy... just pulling it out... watching it grow... play with a little... ahhhh so nice...

brypsis is not hear algae.... just breaking its cell structure will release thousands of spores... and it requires almost no nutrients 2 grow...

cuting the lights for a few days... will bleach it... but it will have more of a harmfull effect on your tank.. rather then the "killer B"

they dont call in invasive for nothing....

Ive bin working with it for years... and ive found the way to keep it under control.... but not able to kill it...

Im convinced and ill tell you 2 im blue in the face that the only way to remove it completely is 2 boil it.

you might get lucky finding a nunibrach that likes it.... but i doubt it will remove it....

the roots grow deep in the rock... and when the conditions are right it will return.

trust me on tis.... ive done some experimentation with this stuff....
it can be out chocked by its self... (stupid algae) if you can cultavate it in your sump....

get your sump lighting runing a little longer then your main lights... and off set it by 4-5 hours. so at the end of the day the sump lights are one for a few hours after the main tank.....

once you see it lightly up... your close.. The mag trick will help... but will not fix... ive red all this "use kent M" did that bin there.. it will kill it off but not remove it....

ive never seen a emerald touch that~!?

bob im trully sorry.... ive felt your pain so meny time b4... hell i bet if you look back you can find my thread where i was like "i quit"

being where im at now.... my next tank... after doing what i do now 2 keep my tank looking great... my next tank will be so so so so so much eazyer.....

if you can get by with bryopiss you can get by with anything...

Im not trying to pat my self on the back... im just telling you how i feel about this.... and dont ever let anyone tell you that..."oh ya thats eazy"
cause that mean 1 of 2 thngs... they didnt have broypsis or there tank crashed.....

i set another tank up and tried to frag out some of my stuff i wanted to keep really bad...... Im ready to nuke my tank... as soon as i get this next system setup (120g) the rock for the 120 has bin growing for a few months now... ive collected most of my equipment

when the time comes... Ill get my fish.. qt some frags.. and nuke the hell with pleasure outta my 3 rocks.... till they are so white... you can even look at em with out sunglass's

oh... no.... i feel a anti bryposis hater moment comeing...

i better go.

funkpolice

Hmm...I'm having a hard time Bob seriously on this one. It kind of sounds like he's pulling our leg. However, if you are truly leaving your reef behind, I want to say you can beat this. Can someone post a pic of Bryopsis, I've never seen it before. Bob, if you go on a reefing hiatus make sure to stop by every once in a while and hang out with us. I always enjoy a beezlebob post.
bill

ModernReef

modern reef....

Not this stuff...
everything you said is wrong... (sorry)
Wow, maby candy coat it a little next time..lol

bryposis.. is not hair algae.......
Agreed!! but its actually Bryopsis, and "Bryopsis pennata" specifically

Bryopsis pennata
or even better:
http://www.hawaii.edu/reefalgae/invasive_algae/pdf files/bryopsis_pennata.pdf

Im convinced and ill tell you 2 im blue in the face that the only way to remove it completely is 2 boil it.
Actually a "Creme brule" type torch works wonders too.

you might get lucky finding a nunibrach that likes it.... but i doubt it will remove it....

the roots grow deep in the rock... and when the conditions are right it will return.
It dosent have roots, there called "Rhizoidal system" and they grow in crevices, the torch will nuke them, and its way quicker and more targeted than boiling, which will terminate "EVERYTHING on the rock"

ive never seen a emerald touch that~!?
Hmm??? I see them eat it all day.

I have a tank full of them in a Store I consult at.
I drop a rock in in the morning, and by noon its polished clean including the "Rhizoidal system"

Not to sit on a high horse here, but low post count does not make me inexperienced. I have worked in the Industry since 1990 (im 39), Including many stores, where Ive consulted, and a few wholesalers.

I dont claim to know everything, but that which I have personal experience with. which is what I just posted above.
These are MY experiences, not OPINIONS,
so I couldn't possibly be "WRONG".
:chair:

but i still dig your avitar

lcstorc

Burning
If you know how to get rid of it so well, then why do you still have it?
I have no idea if emeralds will or will not eat it, but there are very few things in this hobby can be said to be absolutely true or absolutely false. You have not had luck fighting it other than boiling it, but someone else could. Perhaps the emeralds are somewhat like pepperment shrimp and aiptasia. Some eat it and some do not.
Modern Reef. I am not sure if emeralds are an option for Bob. He has a small tank with a much loved mantis shrimp. I know the mantis can/will eat a lot of things but I am just not sure if emeralds would be safe there.