Bluespots spawning

sabeypets

My Bluespots spawned last night! I have about five hours worth of video. I will try to figure out how to post pictures. Anyone know how long till he releases the larvae? Anyone have info on raising them?

seafansar

Oh that's so cool! You can use photobucket to load video and pictures. You might want to invest in "The Complete Illustrated Breeder's Guide to Marine Aquarium Fishes" by Matthew L. Wittenrich. It's a very good book and includes info on Yellowhead Jawfish which I would assume work for Bluespots too.

From just glancing at the book, here are a few helpful things about jawfish:
-spawn on a 14 to 22 day cycle
-the male can be seen spitting the eggs out and sucking them in again as he agitates and aerates the eggs
-hatching occurs at 7 to 9 days at 80*F
-larvae at hatching are slightly more than 3mm
-concentrate with a light source at the surface while all filters are turned off
-transfer to a rearing tank with a shallow bowl
-use a dim light. extreme light will increase mortality during transfer
-best reared in a round, black tank of 20 gal or more

Larval feeding plan:
Rotifers- Day 1-14
Unenriched Artemia- Day 9-22
Enriched Artemia- Day 19-33
Weaning Diet- Day 22-35
Feed rotifers at 10/ml; unenriched Artemia nauplii less than 12 hrs. old; enriched Artemia less than 24 hrs. old

Hope that helps! Good luck with them! Keep us posted, and don't get frustrated. Raising fry takes a lot of trial and error, but in the end I think it's worth it. Welcome to RS too!

sabeypets

I have books writen by Wittenrich, Kirkendol, Moe, Wilkerson, and Hoffs. I have raised other larvae just not jawfish. Yellowheads have been sucesfully raised since the early 80's. With no info on bluespots it makes me wonder if they are more difficult or something different.

bluespotjawfish

Congrats! I knew someone from Utah could do this. I want to stop in and see them. How did you keep this a secret from me!

Tell us more about your set up when you can and get those darn videos posted!

lcstorc

Awesome!
I think the reason there is no breeding info is that historically these fish have a low survival record in captivity. Also people hesitate to put more than one in a tank to avoid the agression. Lorraine is the only one I have heard of that has a confirmed pair.
I am super excited about your success so far. Please keep us updated. This is something quite a few of us wish we could do.

lowfi

That is awesome! I also heard that bluespots are relatively new in the hobby...(believe mid-90's). So depending on when your books were published, the authors might not have been able to give bluespots a shot. Lynn is totally right though about it being probably more about fear between keeping multiple together, price, survival rates, etc...Congrats though...this could be amazing. I love hearing about breeding possibilities, might mean that we can take less from the wild so thank you! I hope it works out.

sabeypets

Lorraine, this was no secret. I talked to you about them at the Dec. WMAS mtg (you were probably too excited about wining the new tank). Does this ring a bell?

sabeypets

Temp. 72 ya, I know a little on the cool side. It has been reported that Blue spots die from fungis/bacterial infection shortly after shipping. Their habitat range up into california so I figure they will do allright in temps as low as 65. A lot of dieases slow at lower temps, plus metalobsin slows, and you have more oxygen = less stress. Therefore I started at temp of 68.
Salinity 1.025
PH 8.2
Tank size 35 gal My quartine tanks are 35 gal. I planed on putting them in a 230gal but after the first day they quite fighting and got along so I left them there.
Substrate crushed coral 7 inches deep, 4mm-5mm diameter.
Lighting 192 watts PC. 15 hours a day.
Feeding 3 times a day, brine shrimp, mysids, and at night what ever I'm feeding my Sting Rays, kril, table shrimp, squid, ect.

sabeypets

Still trying to figure out how to post pics.
Lorraine I thought that I had two female. My male has never flashed until that night. The night before the female was bloated, I figured that I had killed her feeding my Stingray mix (now I know she was just full of eggs). The female maintains two holes, the male only one, and they play musical holes from day to day.
The male is named Bayley and the female is named Aryal.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
That's awesome! Congratulations! Looking forward to following along. Thanks Lorraine for kicking me out of retirement.:D