Blue Tang in a RSM C-250?

Brookesy

I have seen a lot of people keeping blue and yellow tangs in the RSM 250 although after doing a bit of research I can see the recommended tank size for these is a min of 100 gallons. I was just wondering if anyone has kept these in a RSM before and if so how they are doing?

Rich

sirrealism

I am glad to see you doing some research before just buying one of these. I am sorry to say the tank is just to small. They grow and need to swim and a 65g is way to small. What some are doing is buying them small and reselling them when they get larger. This is not a good idea but its happening more then it should. Its to bad but there is no tang that will not out grow a 65. There are plenty of fish that are great in that size tank. I purchased a tank "93 cube" and it had 3 tangs in it. The 100g thing is not a good judge of size because these fish need a longer tank to swim in. The 3 tangs are going into my 8' 300g tank where they will be happy. The limit for some of the smaller tangs should be a 4' tank which is fine for yellow, Cole, ECT but when you get to the longer ones then you need 6' or bigger. Blue hippos. Powder blue, nasso ECT. I hope this helps. You will notice the people with tangs in the RSM250s dont post pics of these fish much because of the "tang police" which is just other reefers with a concern of the fish getting to big and not being happy.

I've kept a chocolate tang (not sure if that is the correct name, but that is what it was sold to me as) in my RSM250 for almost 5 years now and he is doing very well. No issues with the 2 clowns and damsel he is with.

Brookesy

Thanks for the info. I will have to have a rethink about what to stock it with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did a quick search on chocolate tang and this is what I came up with. http://fishsupplyunderwater.com/marine-fish-tangs-chocolate-tang.html. If this is what you have it says it gets up to 10" long. If this is not what you have please post a pic. I would think a 10" tang in a 65g is going to be a big problem.

that is what I have, and he is about 4.5-5" long I'd say. I don't believe he has grown at all since I got him almost 5 years ago. Seems very happy and healthy. Do fish suddenly have a growth spurt? I agree 10" would definitely be too big. I have a blue-yellow tailed damsel that's been in the tank longer than the tang and that fish hasn't grown at all since I got him. My female maroon clownfish is the only fish that has grown at all, probably close to tripling in size.

Brookesy

Another surprise today was that my LFS said that a pair of clowns would not be an ideal first fish due to being territorial? I've never heard this before. I thought these were a hardy peaceful fish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

reefer gladness

I thought these were a hardy peaceful fish.

Not exactly, clownfish are damsels and have the potential to act accordingly nasty. Some like the tomato clowns are nastier on average than others.

Clownfish are reasonably hardy but are still susceptible to some illnesses. The common name for brooklynella hostilis is clownfish disease for example and many reefers recommend an initial prophylactic treatment whether the fish shows symptoms or not. I'm in the group of reefers that will advise you to setup a quarantine tank and hold your fish there for a good 6-8 weeks while observing for illnesses.

If you want a pair of clowns my advice is to get them as a mated pair. May cost a little more but you won't have territorial issues between them.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
my ocellaris clownfish are extremely peaceful, play well with all the fish, even let me put my hand in the tank near their eggs

I would not be afraid to add a pair of ocellaris clownfish 1st, but fish differ

Brookesy

Decided to go with a pair of clowns. I tested the water earlier so will post some pics later today when they have been added.

mmatspr

I have kept yellow, blue, powder blue, powder brown, tomini and convict tangs on RSM 250, i have 2 of them. I also have 2 RSM 130, 1 Nuvo Mini 38, and 1 RedSea S-Line 650. The only tang that outgrow the tanks was a Sailfin that i bought tiny and kept on the nuvo, then the 250 and now its on the 650. Also a yellow belly blue tang that went from the 250 into the 650. But others have been well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk