Blndbunny's 40g shallow reef

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Woohoo we have success :woohoo:

Tank is looking great! :) Some lovely looking pieces! Especially the one with flouro green polylps! :drool:

Blndbunny

Thank you so much! I tried through tapatalk and it worked, lol

I am so in love with that piece! I can't wait till she finishes coloring upThey are all still acclimating, but everyday there are more obnoxious green polyps.

I had to remove one branch from the lilac colony since it was shedding flesh, I trimmed into the healthy area, dipped in coral RX, and then added phol's extra to the tank to aid in healing. However the rest of the piece is looking great, and coloring up.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I do believe that you're now overdue for an update!! ;) Would love to hear how you're going and how the tank is going too :)

Blndbunny

Yes you guys are! I'm in the middle of a crazy busy few months of travel! In the past six weeks I've only been home 5 day, lol1

Anyway on to the tank!

Tank is chugging along nicely, I'm still fighting a bit of algae issues, my numbers are solid and based on my SPS colors I'm likely getting close to ULN. I'm planning to attack it with boiling RO. I suspect like many things it's just part of the tank maturing

I'm still finding new creatures. Yesterday I found two more sea cucumbers, or rather I found their feeding apparatus sticking out of the rocks.

Of the three Acro colonies I ordered from live aquaria I lost one :-( however it was during their guarantee period. The other two colonies are all showing growth at the base. Both have had some fairly drastic color changes in a positive direction. The cream with pale purple tips has darkened up to a rich purple blue. After being gone for nearly a month you would hardly recognize it as the same coral. The brown coral with neon green polyps is turning more and more green.

My tri color acro and yellow Carolina are exploding with growth and new branches, and my purple haze monti may in fact be trying to take over the world.

My Ora neon birds nest and bird of paradise are both still alive and doing ok, they both were stung by my Hollywood stunner.

While I was gone sadly I lost both of my large sea squirts that came in on my live rock :(

I have also added a couple of new additions to the tank. Before all of my crazy travel I found a pair of lubbocks fairy wrasse. I'm not sure if they are in fact a male female pair, but they are inseparable. They went through a 5 week quarantine while I was gone and were added to the display tank last Tuesday. So far everyone is doing great, they are out social and eating great. My tail spot blenny swims and hunts the rock with the two wrasses all day. My clowns could care less that they are even there. Now I know I have a heavy bio load in the tank. Right now everyone is small, I'm testing my water every third day. So far everything is stable. I'm also prepared that as my fish grow, or they begin to have social issues, or I can't maintain the water quality that I will need to move or re home a couple of fish. When this happens I will be moving/rehoming my clowns. But right now everyone is happy!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429492005.420587.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429492021.397442.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429492062.000584.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429492081.399429.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429492095.117143.jpg

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Good to hear that things are coming along :) Some awesome new additions there and a bummer about the loses but looking good!! :)

Blndbunny

Thanks Dom! I really wish I had more time to focus on the tank right now.

Just got home from another weekend of travel, the only benefit to all this travel is I can really see the differences in my tank, like coral growth and color.

On a happy note I picked up a beautiful new coral on divers den tonight. I've been watching it all weekend and finally broke down and bought it. I also grabbed two acro crabs, one red and one blue

Acropora spathulata

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430095845.517154.jpg

Blndbunny

Thank you Pat! I've been waiting to get a piece of one of these. I love the coralite structure of this specific acro and anything that has big plush or shaggy polyps.

I have a prime spot for her where she will get lots of variable cross flow, I hope she is a fuzzy monster!

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Nice choice in acro! The a. spathulata are really nice acro's and look awesome when they're in full fuzz! Good to hear things are continuing to colour and grow even while you're out and about :)

Blndbunny

Thank you! Well I've gotta admit I have a problem....

Hello my name is Jessica and I'm a sps coral-aholic, and someone should really take my credit card away from me. My tank is gonna be loaded up on Wednesday! I blame this on me being ready for spring and needing more color in my life

From tonight divers den
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430198055.357446.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430198068.572723.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430198086.305501.jpg

Pat24601

Thank you! Well I've gotta admit I have a problem....

Hello my name is Jessica and I'm a sps coral-aholic, and someone should really take my credit card away from me. My tank is gonna be loaded up on Wednesday! I blame this on me being ready for spring and needing more color in my life

From tonight divers den
View attachment 42322
View attachment 42323
View attachment 42324

This post is full of awesomeness. I know how it feels (and good choices). It's probably a good thing that I dawdled a bit and divers den sold the corals I want...maybe to you! :)

Frankie

RS STAFF
Don't forget to acclimate them to the salinity. Drip acclimation until you completely change them over to your tank water. Should take about an hour or so

Blndbunny

Oh yes I will be!

I always start by floating to match temps. They are then dripped, probably about two hours since I change over the water volume twice. They will then be dipped in bayers. Then carefully examined, and remounted. If I see anything suspicious that area will be removed and I will quarantine if I feel it needs it. I don't have the best coral quarantine set up. That will likely be my next big project once I convince my hubby, lol