Blndbunny's 40g shallow reef

Blndbunny

Well its quite clear taht reefing bug has bit me good this time. I have had a series of nano tanks over the years, but never anything over 20 gallons. About 6 weeks ago I took the plunge and ordered a new bigger tank. I will be getting a 24"x24"x16" cube, with a custom built sump. This tank will be a SPS dominate reef. My current 16g nuvo will be moved into this tank once its setup and cycled. My plan is to run this system as a full Zeovit system.

Visited my LFS today and my tank, stand, and sump are all in! The owner is currently working on the customization i need to the stand and picking up all of my plumbing needs. We are still waiting on my Reef Dynamics skimmer to come in. I also still need to order my reactor. Unfourtunatly I cannot get a Zeolite specific reactor as the are all really too large for this system. However I have opted to go for an IM media reactor that will still allow me to easily "shake" my zeolites daily.I will be moving my Hydra fixture onto this new tank when it is ready.

I have opted to order all new live rock for the new system. Ive never been really happy with the rock in my nuvo, its never had the life im used to from other live rock ive purchased. Im plannig to order through Tampa Bay Aquaculture for this build.

Hoping to have pics and other fun things starting soon. Thinking that i should be starting setup in the next 2-3 weeks

Blndbunny

The new tank is finally finished!! Now I'm just stuck waiting on getting stuff oganized to bring it home, stupid little car that I drive that my tank won't fit. *grumble grumble grumble*

Now to figure out this whole plumbing thing :-/ then I can finally order live rock!

Blndbunny

PICKING UP MY TANK TOMORROW!!! Yes I was yelling cause I'm so excited! *muppet flail*

Now to move the 16 to its temporary location so we can set up he new cube and it can cycle

Biggles

The new setup sounds very nice mate, i'd be excited too lol :)

Pics of the new tank when you get it home would be cool.

Blndbunny

It's here! I'm so excited to finally have my new tank here! So the finished tank is 24"x24"x16", I was told the display will be about 45 gallons. Underneath is a custom sump that is set up for me to run a Zeovit system. The owner of my LFS thinks that I will be running around 55g of water There is a single baffle on the first side is my skimmer and drain line, in the second chamber is my return pump, zeovit reactor and return line. Pretty simple set up.

I feels like I spent the afternoon running to and from the hardware store, 4 trips..... I'm so glad it's at the end on my street. I've learned that PVC cement makes everything highly amusing, even when working great in a well ventilated area. Tank is still dry while I wait for the cement to cure

The tank
15846927132_c76abcaaa1.jpg
[/url] image by jessica_haering, on Flickr[/IMG]

The sump set up
15821722116_c344cf6205.jpg

My pretty new skimmer, it will never be this clean again!
15660029998_44c570027c.jpg

Heater, and far to many powerheads I'm sure, but I'll figure out what I need
15227891053_5d2809f223.jpg

Return pump
15660031748_c16ab07c7d.jpg

And of course the obligatory dog fish pic I do with every tank. Zilla is not amused my this at all, he'll be happy once the fish move in
15821844706_b619c1f22f.jpg

Blndbunny

Well the tank is officially wet! I've had it running for since wendsday. All my plumbing held! I'm honestly shocked and amazed, since this is e first time I've done any of this. Made a tiny mistake on my durso drain, that was causing lists of gurgling and gushing. Turned out I had put the top piece on backwards, easy fix.

Everything is running just fine I'm currently waiting on live rock. Talked to Tom of tampabay aquaculture last week and he will be diving for some awesome stuff for me. Little bit delayed due to cold water, they needed to order dry suits to be able to handle the extended dive time. He said they will be diving this week once they come in. Then my rock will be held for a few days just to be sure all is good and healthy. He will send me pics, ship hem and then it's a trip to the airport to get them.

i decided to go ahead and get a bigger light, I blame good Black Friday sales, yeah that's it. I went with a hydra 52 because it has a better spread. I turned on my old hydra fixture over the tank and I was very worried about dark corners, and not sure that my Stoney's would get the light they are accustom to. On that note I have a standard hydra light for sale, less then a years use. Message me if you are interested.

So for now it's just looking at a glass box of water and playing the waiting game. Reminding my self that nothing good happens quickly in a reef

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Sounds like this is going to be an awesome tank :) Two of my favourite things too, cube and shallow! :D You're definitely going to enjoy the Jebao RW-8, I have two RW-4's in mine and I love them.

You're going to have to take plenty of pics once you get the rock in and the lights over the tank too! :) Very keen to see it with some stuff in it haha The 16 will also make a really good quarantine tank for you too :) Make sure that no nasty little critters make it into the tank, especially if you're going to be going to be going sps :) You'll be able to make sure each coral and fish is in prime health before going in the tank and it'll mean your tank will love extra awesome!

Look on the bright side you cycle will only be two weeks and then the first fish can go in and one every two weeks after that :) and a slow transfer of coral too :) I'd give all your sps and coral a dip before putting it in the new tank to make sure you don't have any of the pests carry over, it would be a huge disappointment if that happened!
Don't be shy with the questions too!!

Blndbunny

I'm planning to keep the 16 up as a quarantine. Not sure what my hubby thinks of this idea, but oh well .

I'm looking forward to moving into the bigger tank, I'm sure all my SPS corals in the 16 will appreciate the stability of larger water volume and a tank being designed just for them.

I will be spending that cycle time baiting to get all those nasty hitchhikers out of the tank. Aquacultured rock from Florida is known for having mantis shrimp in them. I'm planning to bottle bait nightly to remove them and the inevitable stone and gorilla crabs. However it will be worth it, this companies rock is beautifully encrusted in sponges tunicates bivalves and corals. I know that there will be some challenges but in the long run I suspect it will be more then worth it

Biggles

I've read nothing but good things about the quality of the LR that Tampa Bay supply so you're definitely off to a great start there imo. The shallow dimensions of your display are just made for featuring a few tabling acros :)

sirrealism

Tampabay Aquacultures stuff is as far as I am concerned the best "LIVE" rock you can buy. I personally know the guy as I live about 5 miles from him. The rock has been untouched for 12 years unlike most others that sell "Live" rock that has been in the gulf or where ever for 6-12 months. The amount of life on this rock is fantastic. Also if your buying a reef pack the sand comes from the same place and is full of life 2. Really nice guy also. You wont be disapointed but as you already know some of the some of the pests that come with rock that need to be removed can be a job. But since you have another tank maybe you can keep a mantis if you get one.

Blndbunny

I actually am considering if I get a mantis to move him to the 16g nuvo. I figure that should work if I'm using that as a coral quarantine tank.

I am little concerned about how I'm gonna be able to move my goby pistol pair to the new tank. My pistol is quick and a good hider, I'm worried about him if I pull the rock work out. I also know if he stays in the tank and I add a mantis he will likely become dinner [emoji22]

Tampa bay aquacultured stuff appears beautiful! I actually looked into the company based on suggestions from another one of my threads

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I actually am considering if I get a mantis to move him to the 16g nuvo. I figure that should work if I'm using that as a coral quarantine tank.

I am little concerned about how I'm gonna be able to move my goby pistol pair to the new tank. My pistol is quick and a good hider, I'm worried about him if I pull the rock work out. I also know if he stays in the tank and I add a mantis he will likely become dinner [emoji22]

Tampa bay aquacultured stuff appears beautiful! I actually looked into the company based on suggestions from another one of my threads

Good to hear the 16 is becoming your quarantine tank :) The 16 would also double as an awesome mantis home! One thing you could also add to the 16 could be a sixline wrasse as they love eating pests so it would also make for a good inhabitant they will actively clean your corals and frags :)
You could use the bottle trap to get your shrimp-goby pair or pull the rock out and be extra careful! I'm sure you'll manage it just fine though :) I would definitely try and get him out if you get any mantis and add them to the 16 though.

StirCrayzy

I agree totally on the Tampa bay rock, well worth the potential HH situation. Wish I coulda justified the cost.
Can't wait to see more pics of the rock in the new tank !

Blndbunny

I went through tampabay aquatics, rather then Tampabay saltwater, and found the price to be pretty good. Well worth the amount of life that should come in. He only charges $6.50 per pound shipped on live rock, however he's building me a custom reef2go package

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I went through tampabay aquatics, rather then Tampabay saltwater, and found the price to be pretty good. Well worth the amount of life that should come in. He only charges $6.50 per pound shipped on live rock, however he's building me a custom reef2go package

We're going to need lots of pics once you get it all!! :p

Blndbunny

I promise lots and lots of pictures!

Question? With the zeovit 14 day cycle I know I'm taking my time adding my fish one at at time. My clowns are just getting comfortable being a pair, and the fighting has finally ceased. How should I handle their move? Move the male, then the female next. They are fairly small, male about 2" female about 2.5"

StirCrayzy

I consider a pair to be one fish. I like to keep them together.
Given a choice, I wouldn't make them the first move. Start with lowest bioload fish first.