Bleaching brain coral Help!

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
Let me throw in my 2c, it's really not worth 2c but I'll throw it in anyway. First off I'd suggest getting your own test kit. Get one that can cover Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, Phos, Alk and Calc to start with. You don't really have to worry about Alk and Calc much unless you have a bunch of sps. Test yourself, nobody is going to care more about your tank than you, so you are going to do everything you possibly can to get accurate results. If you get anything above 0 on ammonia, trites, trates, or phos then don't add anything to your tank. These things need to be brought down and the natural way to do it is better than chemicals (in my opinion). Most people overfeed their tank. I have a 125 gallon and it gets fed every other day. I feed only frozen and 1 cube will last me a week (yes I said a week). Lots of LR and a good skimmer is worth their weight in gold, don't skimp on these things. Plenty of flow is a good thing, in my opinion most people don't have enough flow when starting out. Chaeto is a good but I don't rely on it, if it's growing fast then you are likely over feeding. Water changes using good RO/DI is a necessary evil. I do 20% water changes every week, not because I have to, but because I want to protect my investment. Just a little food for thought. Best of luck!

zack879

Cool I have a remora skimmer. I over feed and overdose w garlic so that's why my numbers were sky high gaurenteed. I have 32 lbs of LR and 10 of base which know has coraline on it. I just got the reef test kit today from red sea. I'll get the other one on Friday. I'll feed way less. I was feed half a froze. Cube 2x per day which is one cube a day. I'll cut that by a lot.

zack879

My final question would be I moved around some LR and I had two nassarious snails. If I covered em
W a rock can they tunnel out?

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Anywho. Try moving the favia lower. Bright lights do bleach. N take ur time buddy. This hobby is expensive anyway without adding things too early. Glad to have ya. The ruffians around here got a little hostile huh.

.............stay thirsty my friend.

zack879

Only spot I can put him is where the clowns are hosting the magnet cleaner thing. Hopefully they don't have an issue w it.

KRAZE

How is the brain doin? I just started on this forum and was browsing posts and saw your from CT to, what area? I'm in shelton.

btw, brains, especially open brains, scolys and acans, all really like the sand bed and alk in 11-12 range... if the brain stressted at all then low alk will cause bleaching. Is it loosing tissue and showing skeleton?
I recently bought a trach from exotic in milford that had been damaged for cheap with planns to bring ot back... however the following day it was in even worse shape! Tested and my alk was at 6 for some reason. Got it back up in three days but I was too late :-( So I bet low alk is part of the reason.... and those trates are way up there!

zack879

Brain is dead. My alk was 9 or so and the trates are back down I bit. Prolly won't touch brains for awhile.

KRAZE

Sorry to hear. Maybe it wasn't alk then... and glad to hear you got the nitrates stabalized. Brains usually are very easy to keep, so don't give up! Maybe try a closed brain... favia, favites, platygyra... see how they do since they are relativley cheaper than open brains. You never wanna give up, just keep trying.

Also, how long did you have that trach in your tank before it started to die?