Bleaching brain coral Help!

zack879

Hey guys got my first stony coral last week, it was a brain coral and it's bleaching out on me i think. Not sure whats wrong with it, my mg is at 1200 alk is at 9 and calcium is at 400 as i just ran the red sea test. I also just added foundation abc to try and help with the mg, it should also be noted that my nitrates were really high so i had to added a nitrate lock resin bag to my filter yesterday and now they are down to about 30 ppm. ammonia is a tiny bit above zero according to an LFS that I usually don't go to, just needed them to quickly check, trites are 0 and spc grav is 1.25. I think I had been overdosing w/ selcon and garlic guard and that spiked my trates. I'm also now using RODI seeing as how my well has a tiny bit of trates in it.

Any help will be great. I've got him on the bottom under the Coralife Agua Lunar light 4 T5's and an LED.

zack879

for some reason it wil not let me add attachments. It says in my posting permissions I cant so i can't upload a pic.

TylerHaworth

Water change and run carbon.

Any test that is performed by anyone other than you does not count... Especially from a LFS

If you have any ammonia or nitrites at all, then it is too soon to have coral and I am not surprised the coral is losing color or bleaching... Hight nitrates only makes things worse.

TylerHaworth

His tank was in some stage of cycling 6-13-2012, being "tested" by LFS... So basically the tank is still undergoing the initial cycle :sinking:

zack879

Hey so I asked a question. I didn't ask for critism. Trates are from over feeding. Tank is cycled but I think I'll start looking for a new forum seeing as how the only thing I get off this one is ample amounts of critism. You guys really know how to make some feel welcome.

TylerHaworth

Hey so I asked a question. I didn't ask for critism. Trates are from over feeding. Tank is cycled but I think I'll start looking for a new forum seeing as how the only thing I get off this one is ample amounts of critism. You guys really know how to make some feel welcome.

Um, you asked what was wrong... We told you - Criticism is EXACTLY what you asked for.

If you don't want answers, don't ask questions - Your tank is NOT cycled if you have ammonia.

WE are not the source of YOUR frustration -or- YOUR mistakes.

zack879

Ok so my question was could my ca mg or kh levels be causing it? Placement? Or Nitrates? Ammonia was probably 0 as a kid at lfs did that. I've got 32 lbs a l r and 2 bags of ls in a tank this been running almost 2 months. I don't thnk that was it.

BLADEYAMAHA

What we are really saying is the tank does not have enough "age" on it and really you are adding stuff faster than the tank's ability to adjust to the new bioload can handle. You need to wait till your tank ages more. Be Patient, this hobby is for the long haul, things do not happen overnight and I know, believe me I know, eye candy like a beautiful coral or just one more fish will get you into trouble with your tank fast. How many fish do you have in what size tank? What kind are they? You must calculate for full grown fish when you stock too. 1 inch of full grown fish for 5 gallons of marine tank water, and remember rock and sand displace water so if you had a 40 gallon when you started, now you really have 35 or so gallons of water for calculating this and so on and so forth. I would let your tank settle for a while and if some of your corals make they make it. If you are over stocked you need to think about getting some fish out of there soon or your tank WILL crash and burn again till you get the problems fixed and then later try some beginner corals. Calcium and magnesium was fine, the dKH could use some work to get it to 11 or 12. Nitrates were too high, that's most likely what did it. If you have a good salt and do your 10% weekly water changes you really should not have to use additives at all, most of the time.

TylerHaworth

You asked what was wrong, we pointed out what we see is wrong... Further analysis is pointless until the simplest of issues are resolved.

Test for yourself. Lower your nitrates. Stop adding things.

Two months is a fart in the wind when considering the age of live rock or sand.

BLADEYAMAHA

Chemicals really don't help long term. We know the problem, its up to you to follow through with resolving it.

zack879

Yeah I'm gunna get one soon but in
The meantime I'm just buying 15 gallons a clip of rodi. Just did a wc w 10 gal. Gunna look into a kit for the sink. Lfs has one for 120. That a good price?