Biopellet journal

tommyboynj

So I'm 4 weeks into the biopellet process. Before I started I noticed that there is a ton of info on line but most of it is along the lines of "they suck, my tank crashed" or "my tank has never looked better" I found very little or uptodate info on exactly how people had implemented them, tank parameters throughout the process etc. With that, I'm going to start posting my test results and observations on a weekly basis so that anyone else looking to employ biopellets can see my experience and learn from any mistakes I've made. First, some general tank info that will be used as my baseline.

75 gallon mixed reef lightly stocked with corals inverts and fish
Tank is 18 months old
I run carbon in a reactor
10% water changes weekly with IO salt
Recently upgraded to led lighting from T5
Nitrates steady at 5ppm
Phosphate steady at 0.08
Tank has mild to moderate hair algae
Light feedings 3 times a week (alternating between pellet, mysis and homemade mush)
I have previously tried gfo but had no joy for over six months. In addition, my lps got upset even at low doses.

I opted to use dr tims biopellets in an avast marine reactor with a mag 3 pump. 2 weeks prior to starting the reactor I dosed the tank with 15ml of microbactor7 per day. I then added 1/3 cup of pellets weekly over the first 3 weeks. In addition to adding the pellets weekly I added 40ml of dr tims waste away directly to the reactor chamber to help further "seed" the pellets. I have discontinued dosing the mb7 and waste away.

During the first 4 weeks, there has been no change to nitrate or phosphate. Half way through week 2 I had some mild cyano appear on the front area of the sand bed. This has now almost completely disappeared. Around week 3 there was a noticeable improvement in water clarity and sps polyp extension. This week, week 4, I noticed my glass remained cleaner for longer. There has been no change in skimmer production. My alk, calc ang mag have remained stable throughout the process. I will post week 5 results/observations next Sunday morning.

steved13

PREMIUM
I'm very surprised that you haven't had a drop in nitrate or phosphate. Usually nitrates drop very quickly. My nitrates dropped so quickly, I had to dose nitrate to bring the phosphate down as I was nitrate limited.

tommyboynj

I'm very surprised that you haven't had a drop in nitrate or phosphate. Usually nitrates drop very quickly. My nitrates dropped so quickly, I had to dose nitrate to bring the phosphate down as I was nitrate limited.

I'm thinking it might be because I increased the pellet volume slowly. If I remember from your thread, you went all in at the beginning right? Also I noticed that dr tims recommended pellet amounts seem lower than most other brands.

steved13

PREMIUM
Yes, I went all in at once, although with most pellets It shouldn't matter, they supply a carbon source and it's used as needed. On my latest tank I filled the reactor as much as I could and still get a good tumble, and I didn't have to open the reactor for over a year.

From speaking with the folks at Dr. Tims at MACNA, their pellets are a little different and they wear away faster. The lady I spoke with tried to tell me that's the only way you can tell they are working, until I asked "can't you tell better from the results?"...she got quiet...I hate a sales pitch that doesn't stand up to common sense LOL. I bring it up because, I would think that's why they would have you use smaller amounts, so you get the same life out of them....I'm thinking 2 cups would wear way as fast as 1 cup, so if you only need 1 cup the other is being wasted. I've been using a mix of a few brands, but not the Dr. Tims.

Either way though, once you introduce the carbon source, I would think, you would see a drop. Every system is different though.

I still get algae and even Cyano, but always pretty light and never out of control. I've recently cut way back on feeding and noticed even less still (duh). I went to an auto feeder and most days I just let it take care of very light feeding. The only thing I don't like about it is, dry foods are nowhere near as good for the livestock as frozen. I supplement once a week with healthier stuff.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Where do you keep the output of the bio pellet reactor in relation to the skimmer? What skimmer are you using?
How often are your water changes, how much volume to your gross water volume?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Forum Runner

tommyboynj

Where do you keep the output of the bio pellet reactor in relation to the skimmer? What skimmer are you using?
How often are your water changes, how much volume to your gross water volume?

Output is right by my skimmer intake. I'm using a Precision Marine redline 175. I'm doing weekly water changes of just under 10%

Frankie

RS STAFF
Thanks Tommy
If you want to see zero for nitrates it seems all you need to do is step up your water changes to 20-40% weekly and you will see major changes. Once your at zero you can go back to 10% for four change outs and then if all is stable you can even try for 5%.
Your problem is most likely over feeding and feeding flake and pellets a lot. Tons of bad stuff in those foods. Check out in the fish sub forums for "mush" recipes and see how that may work for you.
Otherwise thanks for the reply and look forward to your progress with the bio pellets.

tommyboynj

Ok so here we are with week 5 results. One side note. I changed out 50% of my sand bed this week. Based on what I siphoned off I was expecting elevated nitrates and phosphate but it doesn't appear to be the case.

PO4 = 0.04
NO3 = somewhere between 5 and 2.5ppm on salifert test
Glass is noticeably cleaner for longer periods
Water clarity is about the same
Skimmate is the same

One other thing that I noticed over the past couple of weeks was a rise in alk. I dose the tank daily with two part and I've always had very steady levels. My alk had climed from 9.5 to 11 over a 3 week period. I cut the dosing off to get my alk back down in the nine range.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Thanks for the update Tommy.
Yes, it is common for alk to rise with low nutrient levels. Welcome to the world of low nutrients!
The glass is the first sign of depleted nutrients and over time you should start to see less on the rocks and sand. Water clarity will happen but that will mainly come from carbon.
Rox in a mesh bag in passive flow in the sump kneaded daily will give you the best results from my experience.
Use 1/2- 1 liter of it for every 250 gallons.
Change out every 4 weeks and you will see major change.