Beware Oceanic Stands

Jake

Lynn, I missed this incident... sorry to hear about the crisis. Fotunately the stand didn't totally collapse. I like the look of those stands and also considered going that route in the beginning. Do you need to replace with a stand from Ocenaic? There are a couple LFS in Orlando that supply nice furniture looking solid wood stands that would fit your tank. PM me if you need some more information.

Stacef

Lynn--
Sorry to hear of all of this, I am just catching up. Thankfully no one was hurt. Oceanic was very good with customer service, that impresses me! Sorry for having to unload everything and re do it all, but, a great opp to get everything how you want it I guess...

lcstorc

Lynn, I missed this incident... sorry to hear about the crisis. Fotunately the stand didn't totally collapse. I like the look of those stands and also considered going that route in the beginning. Do you need to replace with a stand from Ocenaic? There are a couple LFS in Orlando that supply nice furniture looking solid wood stands that would fit your tank. PM me if you need some more information.

Well with Oceanic if you use a stand other than theirs you void the warranty on the tank. Also the tech tank has an odd placement of the overflows. There is a double overflow in the back center and many stands do not accommodate that. Some do but then you have the warranty issue.
If you get this stand be very very careful that you never let water get under the stand. The 4 corners are basically pressboard covered with the plastic. For some reason the plastic lifted slightly on the bottom of one of the posts and splashing water rotted the wood to the point of failure.
We are still waiting on the replacement stand. Oceanic was very clear that they did not have to replace the stand they did it for "good will" so apparently we get to wait a while with the tank being held up by at 4x4.

JWarren

I was just messin with you guys! :)

Hey lobster season is coming up and you know I will be out there scooping me up some bugs! Maybe we could hook up in October or November, I should have a nice lot by then.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
John, my father and I would lobster hunting every year down in the Keys. We always just grabbed them with our gloved hands. How do you "scoop" them up?

It's been years, but I remember having a tool that measured the distance from between the eyes to the posterior of the thorax. If the if that distance fell within that measurement we had to throw it back. We would also throw it back if it was a female with eggs. Still the same?

JWarren

Yeah Scott, pretty much still the same, as far as the laws go. Carapace must be larger than 3 inches and there is a gauge for that, no nets, no spears, no females with eggs, but you can use a tickle stick. Lobsters will back up into a hole and will position themselves so they can look outward, with their backs against a wall. Reach in with the tickle stick and start lightly tapping them behind or on the tail and they will walk to you. Grab um up by the carapace and into your bag. Always, always always wear gloves when you dive! You never know when a Moray will latch down on ya, ask me how I know! :)

Some people try to fight them out of the hole they are in and will grab their horns, this is a NO NO! The horns break off and leave the lobster without any way to defend itself.

Be fore warned! I will beat the tar out of ANYONE I catch maiming a lobster in this manner without bagging it!

Here's some info on Monroe county (The Keys)

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
John, just an observation on my part, but I would swear that Morays were not as prevalent on the Gulf side of the Keys as they were on the Atlantic side. Is that your experience? If so, could it be the depth?

JWarren

John, just an observation on my part, but I would swear that Morays were not as prevalent on the Gulf side of the Keys as they were on the Atlantic side. Is that your experience? If so, could it be the depth?

Yeah, your observation is correct. They don't like that dirty water in the gulf.

I was just messin with you guys! :)

Hey lobster season is coming up and you know I will be out there scooping me up some bugs! Maybe we could hook up in October or November, I should have a nice lot by then.

It's "Bug" season around here too...mud bugs that is!

God bless,
Chris

Origami2547

Well Oceanic had decided to play fun and games with my lfs.
They have to order and pay for a new stand then I have to move everything over and bring back the broken stand for him to send back to them and then they will issue him a credit.
All I can say is I am glad I am such a good customer. He was going to talk to them and find out when the new stand will be here and then I get the fun of taking everything out of the tank and moving it to the new stand to put everything back in.
Oh well, it will give me a chance to do some things I have been wanting to do.
More on the saga later.
PS. Father in-law out of surgery and everything went well. He was still sleeping but should be just fine in a couple of weeks.

Sorry to hear that you have to go through all that, Lynn.

It's probably just me, but I think there's an element of self-protection that Oceanic's involved in here. By getting you to accept the replacement and by taking possession of the possibly defective stand, they're covering their back ends from a possible lawsuit.

Glad nobody was hurt, though.

lcstorc

Well we are still waiting for the new stand.
I just want to get this over so I can have my tank back.
Even when we get the new stand, Mr engineer won't put the tank on it until he has braced it properly with 4x4s.

Stacef

I think you said it perfectly in your sig. The faster you go, the harder you crash, so now...oceanic is taking this to heart and taking their sweet little time!

lcstorc

Very good point.
I guess this is just another lesson in patience.
I will quit complaining and just wait. The tank isn't going anywhere.
:)

I'm in central Alabama but head south a couple of times a month on business. Allows me to keep me and my buddies up to date on our crawfish quota.

Lynn...don't you wish these guys would use a little common sense every now and then? Hate to hear about your trials and tribulations.

lcstorc

Common sense would be nice.
Who would think there would be water aroun a reef tank. That's just crazy. Why should we use waterproof wood anyway? :)

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
It doesn't make a lot of sense to make an aquarium stand out of particle board that is meant to support upwards of 1000 lbs!