Beware Oceanic Stands

lcstorc

Fortunately or not the tech tank is unique. The overflow is in center rear and that is how the stand is designed. Apparently most tanks/stands have 2 overflows separate along the back instead of in one compartment in the center.
At least that is what Oceanic and my LFS both said. We could go entirely custom and build our own with whatever design we want but right now we don't have the time or money for that route.

panmanmatt

My overflow is center rear also. The bulkheads fit on either side of the stands center brace. The stand is open topped so it doesn't really matter where the overflow is located.

Here's a pic of the overflow position:
newtank008.jpg

And here is the bulkheads straddling the center brace:
purplerhodactis003-1.jpg

lcstorc

Interresting, I'll have to show that to my husband and LFS owner.
Is yours a custom stand or an off the shelf one?

tubedood

Yikes Lynn! Im thrilled to hear that the manufacturer is working with you folks. What was the stand made of? Solid wood? or a ply/pressboard type of wood. particleboard holds up nice when dry, but when wet it loses all that appeal. Hats off to you and the fam for a great team effort at saving your aquarium. Hope all is well,
~Dale

lcstorc

It was/is particleboard which is the problem. Apparently througout the 8 months we had the stand water had reached the support. Could have been splashing or who knows what. The sump is under there so there is water and many connections etc. This rotted the particleboard and then transfered the weight onto the glass door which then exploded.

lcstorc

That they had sold many of these stands with vew complaints.
So, basically they don't care they are just replacing ours "in good will"
Frank is continuing through the government agencies but that will probably get nowhere unless others complain as well.

Craig Manoukian

Just catching up Lynn, glad you and Frank are OK. I braced my wood stand for extra support, as maufacturers lower the cost of setups the savings has to come from somewhere and that's how you end up with particle board, eh?

lcstorc

As far as I know all is well with the tank. My father in-law just came out of surgery so we are at the hospital. Everything was fine when I left anyway. I need to go to my lfs this afternoon and have them get a new stand then Frank will put in the additional support and it will be swap time. Not sure exactly what we are going to do for that. I guess we will take everything out and put it in trashcans or bins. Then move the tank onto the new stand. I am going to take the opportunity to add more sand and re-scape the tank. Hopefully with the additional bracing we will be fine.

lcstorc

Well Oceanic had decided to play fun and games with my lfs.
They have to order and pay for a new stand then I have to move everything over and bring back the broken stand for him to send back to them and then they will issue him a credit.
All I can say is I am glad I am such a good customer. He was going to talk to them and find out when the new stand will be here and then I get the fun of taking everything out of the tank and moving it to the new stand to put everything back in.
Oh well, it will give me a chance to do some things I have been wanting to do.
More on the saga later.
PS. Father in-law out of surgery and everything went well. He was still sleeping but should be just fine in a couple of weeks.

vdituri

Sounds like things are moving in a positive direction again.
1 step backwards, 2 steps forward.

Triggerjay

Glad to hear your LFS guy is going to do that for you. Thats VERY generous of him. He will basically be out the $$ until oceanic decides to send him a check. That could be months. I commend him! Glad to har things are working out on the issue.

Jason

cracker

I recently saw this tank at Lynn & Frank's place. Very nice to say the least!
There was a real sweet Blue spot Goby & a shy Mandarin in it at the time. I'm very happy Y'all caught it in time! Water damage or not the stand should not have failed in such a short time.

JWarren

Oh! Now I get it!

You'll go see Lynn and Frank, But I'm worth the extra drive south.

OK! I totally get it! GEEEEEEEZ!

lcstorc

He came here for frags. :)
He didn't stay very long though.
Since I am in the middle why don't you both come here next time. I love company. My husband loved to grill so we can get him to make us some nice food.

cracker

Oh! Now I get it!

You'll go see Lynn and Frank, But I'm worth the extra drive south.

OK! I totally get it! GEEEEEEEZ!
J Warren, No offense intended! LOL It was a last miniute road trip I couldn't pass up! I will gladly make that extra drive when the time is right! I will bring the Proline with me. I didn't forget your mention of steamed cherry stones & chilled corona's!